Past #1: Majak Daw [Part II] - 54 NM games/43 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for MFC '21 - retired mid-'22

Fairly extraordinary set of circumstances

FWIW I still believe I would be extremely surprised if he made it back and played at a high level but to see him walking and smiling and standing and being amongst the playing group is enough of an amazing occurrence in itself

Onwards and upwards Maj

Fairly extraordinary set of circumstances

FWIW I still believe I would be extremely surprised if he made it back and played at a high level but to see him walking and smiling and standing and being amongst the playing group is enough of an amazing occurrence in itself

Onwards and upwards Maj
I was talking to a mate at the pub last night about Maj. Anyway he said he's had major hip surgery before and never played again. I said to him it's different with professional athletes due to the amount they train and strengthen. Said i'm backing him for a 2020 return. I'd take things slow. I think 2019 is a bit optimistic imo.

DrZaius

GENERATIONAL
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf
Bloody unreal! It's pretty amazing how far he has come but as GG said it will still take him a while to fully recover to the point where he can actually run/jump properly etc. but even so just being at the club and around everything would be doing wonders for him mentally

Does anyone else get the sort of warm feeling that this story is going to have a very special finale?

Like premiership hero against all odds type of story?

I’m just so stoked for the bloke!
I can already see Daw norm smith medal come the last week in September this year

Will be a fairytale

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Does anyone else get the sort of warm feeling that this story is going to have a very special finale?

Like premiership hero against all odds type of story?

I’m just so stoked for the bloke!

Especially if he's back mid-season, suddenly the campaign for finals becomes a spirited campaign for the premiership.

Events like these are a slap in the face to some teams, kinda realigns their priorities and realise 'oh s**t our careers can end at any moment and it doesn't last very long.'.

It can be in the vein of the 2016 Dogs premiership push, and 2017's Tigers model of just pure belief & club culture.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Anyone with sports science/medical knowledge have an idea what's the soonest he could be back?

Don't want to be the wet blanket here. Certainly I'm rapt, and a little emotional even, to see Maj at the club, walking around and looking relaxed. But the hurt Maj has experienced isn't something we can all look at and assume he'll be playing sooner rather than later. There's obviously a lot going on in Maj's life that he still needs to work out that we can't see before playing again should be part of the discussion. Having read and contributed to the "anxiety thread" I kinda know most of you know that and, don't get me wrong, I'll be there with bells on when he plays next. But for now, let's just be happy he's alive and on the mend enough to be around the club and in front of cameras.

Go Maj!

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Anyone asking for a timeline need to remember that this is a scenario virtually unheard of in professional sport. Not only the injury and the way it happened, but the mental health side makes this extremely unique.

I am hoping Maj returns and smashes it, but to be honest he has already achieved more than I hoped for when I heard the news. Anything from here is gravy.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Unbelievable.

Also, on a side note, Tarryn didn’t look much smaller than him standing next to him!

Unbelievable.

Also, on a side note, Tarryn didn’t look much smaller than him standing next to him!
Was going to say, anyone that still thinks he's not going to be a big body in the future need only look at that. He's coming on in leaps and bounds

Appears to be fitting in well too

Last edited:

NoWozzas

Debutant
Apr 17, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
When I first heard about what happened, my deepest hope was just that he would be able to walk again and could therefore lead a relatively normal life. Today has just blown me away. Whether he returns to footy or not, this has already been a miracle outcome.

50544B8F-8E1C-417C-8BCF-7CEEEC08BCD2.jpeg

I’m so happy you’re still here, Maj.

It reminds a little of Jason McCartney's 2003 season, different and more tragic circumstances in 2003 of course, but if Majak returns, I think it will have a similar feeling, and will probably bring a tear or two to my eyes as happened on that Friday night against Richmond.

Good luck Maj.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Based on his recovery I'd say he'd probably be back with the main group and in full contact by mid to EOY. Whether he plays or not is another story because due to Maj's size he'd need a strong fitness base behind him so he doesn't blow up by 3rd quarter. Depends on setbacks, how cautious they are, and team success. I definitely think we'll see him play games in the VFL before the season is out.

That is the logical sequence but given where he is at Maj clearly isn't operating on logical progression...

My prediction: 3 games in VFL, maybe 1 or 2 in the AFL. If we are in flag contention he may not get a look in.

Back