Past #1: Majak Daw [Part II] - 54 NM games/43 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for MFC '21 - retired mid-'22

Remove this Banner Ad

This falls under the physical prep and sport sci team. You don't sustain a pec tear doing safe, correctly loaded and monitored exercise

It's also an injury that occurs to weightlifters, bodybuilders & wrestlers a lot. In other words, athletes with lots of muscle. While Maj is lean, I do think he's always been too muscly for our sport.

So sorry to hear this news. Was so looking forward to seeing him play. Poor bugger can't seem to take a trick! Hope its best case scenario. I am crossing my fingers and toes for good measure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's also an injury that occurs to weightlifters, bodybuilders & wrestlers a lot. In other words, athletes with lots of muscle. While Maj is lean, I do think he's always been too muscly for our sport.

This isn't a situation where I'm saying "heads should roll." But the reality is, in a controlled environment, where you have sport science teams looking after players training loads, they shouldn't be lifting 85% + a month out of game time let a lone one week.
I'm speculating on the weight here, but big tears such as one to the pec, don't usually come from 55-75% loads with controlled form. It just doesn't.
These types of tears more or less come from big efforts with poor technique coupled with stabilising muscle groups that can't handle the load.
My uneducated guess is a few months of not being in the gym, someone decided to see where there bench or pressing PB's were at. Got to the bottom, tried to lift up, misgrooved it, technique and CNS wasn't used to the movement and weight and bang. Tear.

Think we're jumping at shadows a bit at the moment. EVW's turf toe has nothing to do with conditioning. Garner doing a hamstring is like death and taxes. Don't know much about pec ruptures but like an Achilles going I'm not sure if it can be brought back to the medical staff.

I think that's the key " been instructed to undertake a lift" maybe he was testing his own level's.

It's either a) a freak injury or Maj wasn't utilising b) proper warm up or c) lifting techniques.

My money is on a).

There's something in this. It's pretty unusual to cop an injury like that during a controlled activity.
Joel Tippet ruptured his pec against Geelong down at KP back in 2014 on a Friday night. Attempting to spoil.
Statistically most league wide pectoral injuries have been in the attempt at spoiling or reaching for the footy. Never in the gym.
How the hell he did it on a bench in a controlled area has got me ****ed sideways. It’s week one.

The players have been using limited equipment in lockdown. Makeshift home gyms with unfamiliar weights, dumb bells and resistance ropes. Not checking their form and not having a club official physically there to provide guidance.

Questions need to be asked but surely there would have been hours of stretching before they got into the clubs gym considering their time away from the facilities. The only way you can rip your pec in the gym is by not dropping the weight. How hard could it have been to increase the reps on lower kgs the first couple of sessions and build the mass back slowly.

This injury is all about conditioning and the blame is firmly on the club. Call me a hater but how hard can it be to monitor the ******* players ffs

Joel Tippet ruptured his pec against Geelong down at KP back in 2014 on a Friday night. Attempting to spoil.
Statistically most league wide pectoral injuries have been in the attempt at spoiling or reaching for the footy. Never in the gym.
How the hell he did it on a bench in a controlled area has got me f’ed sideways. It’s week one.

The players have been using limited equipment in lockdown. Makeshift home gyms with unfamiliar weights, dumb bells and resistance ropes. Not checking their form and not having a club official physically there to provide guidance.

Questions need to be asked but surely there would have been hours of stretching before they got into the clubs gym considering their time away from the facilities. The only way you can rip your pec in the gym is by not dropping the weight. How hard could it have been to increase the reps on lower kgs the first couple of sessions and build the mass back slowly.

This injury is all about conditioning and the blame is firmly on the club. Call me a hater but how hard can it be to monitor the ******* players ffs
Link?

Blake Hardwick, Aaron Hall, Alex Rance and as I mentioned Tippet all injured their pectoral muscle in games.
Extremely rare to injure it in the gym.

Stevo tore one in the 1999 grand final too in a similar action?

I can't imagine the club has Majak doing heavy (or any) benches to bulk up. You'd guess it's for power and as you've explained well this really shouldn't have been an issue if he was building his condition back up.

Footballers aren't strongmen. They don't need to push past their limits under fatigue during a pure power/strength activity. ie - Majak's pec shouldn't have been under such strain to give out like that. I thought we had Kangafit or whatever the **** it's called to pre-screen players isolated strengths prior to big stuff anyway?

The only way you can rip your pec in the gym is by not dropping the weight.

This really sums up the situation 99% of the time. Similar to biceps, when do people think these muscles usually give out during strength activities? It's during lowering or at full extension not flexion. Usually when an idiot like Callum Van Hoogenfark tries to buddy curl 500kg or a powerlifter locks out their arm out to try and deadlift the equivalent of a VW Beetle.

Yes there is bad luck - a dislocated toe, hitting a goalpost, doing your knee during a match - and that's just if you're Ed Vickers-Willis - but a bench press is a predictable up-down activity and if Majak was attempting a load he wasn't ready for (fatigue, fitness etc) then it does raise a query on the conditioning approach or throws it back on Majak as to whether he was following their directions.

Think we're jumping at shadows a bit at the moment. EVW's turf toe has nothing to do with conditioning. Garner doing a hamstring is like death and taxes. Don't know much about pec ruptures but like an Achilles going I'm not sure if it can be brought back to the medical staff.

Garner's hamstring is 100 per cent related to COVID.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back