Past #1: Majak Daw [Part II] - 54 NM games/43 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for MFC '21 - retired mid-'22

How about you respond with a meaningful, well thought out, post sillygit ?

Question, in 6 or whatever years, are you happy with the Maj experiment ?
oh, do you want me to butcher an american presidents quote to show off my sense of entitlement? I think you've got that covered.

You don't even care to know the length of time, you make comparisons to centrelink in another post, you probably don't even recall 2018 because you think his highlights span only a minute.

There's nothing meaningful to respond to.

It’s a shocking injury. Hurts like hell and feels like a heart attack initially. Feel sorry for the bloke and hoping for a speedy recovery, although they take ages to overcome. Get well Maj!

Glad he's avoided surgery but it's still s**t news.

Worst gym equipment-related injury since that time Gibbo was jumped by a set of angry barbells.

Get well soon, Maj.

Johnny99

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2011
In a house.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
oh, do you want me to butcher an american presidents quote to show off my sense of entitlement? I think you've got that covered.

You don't even care to know the length of time, you make comparisons to centrelink in another post, you probably don't even recall 2018 because you think his highlights span only a minute.

There's nothing meaningful to respond to.

Show me the stats...and I will shut up...

Talking about stats, how do these look :

Drafted in 2012

Played 50 games

Average of 6 games a year.

29 years of age.

And still on a list....?

And then we wonder why the club hasn't achieved anything in the last 20 years...

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Show me the stats...and I will shut up...

Talking about stats, how do these look :

Drafted in 2012

Played 50 games

Average of 6 games a year.

29 years of age.

And still on a list....?

And then we wonder why the club hasn't achieved anything in the last 20 years...

Maj is a sacred cow around here J99. You're only going to attract emotional outbursts.

He also did deliver a very good half season of football prior to the incident where he got injured, and this deserves to be recognized.

Maj, some words of advice....

Ask not what your club can do for you, but what you can do for your club.

Up until to now, the club has given you a wage, been patient with you and given you support.

And you have given in return, a one minute highlights reel.

I think you owe us something....

What’s this in reference to? Are you projecting here?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Only a few years ago he was in the top 3 best defenders in the comp.

Once he clicked, our defence as a whole was awesome

I can’t wait for him to be back out there

He did well to improve as 2018 went along, but I question any rating that had him top 3 in the comp. He’s behind Tarrant and Thompson from our club for starters.

Only a few years ago he was in the top 3 best defenders in the comp.

Once he clicked, our defence as a whole was awesome

I can’t wait for him to be back out there
Yep super important structurally and also played the important relief ruck role which we currently lack if Durdin doesn’t get picked

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
........... super important structurally .......

Not as important as the blokes that hold the defensive spine together and allow him to peel off.

They finally found a role where he could string together consistent footy, and that is a good thing.

I hope it returns.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He did well to improve as 2018 went along, but I question any rating that had him top 3 in the comp. He’s behind Tarrant and Thompson from our club for starters.

I’m only going off champion Data but still (and he was 4th)

B2C10795-AE06-46EE-9C50-2A46AD0F8FF0.jpeg

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I completely understand your opinion on champion data as I am kind of the same haha

Sometimes you can’t argue about the stats though. The improvement in that 2018 year was immense

Maj finally became a consistent & productive member of the side and we should just leave it at that.

He's not a "best 3 defender" in the comp, not even close. The issue now is that the typical social media response from many is that I am bagging the bloke, when I am definitely not, it's just that the ridiculous embellishment of Majak's "purple patch" invited a watering down of the claims.

How about you respond with a meaningful, well thought out, post sillygit ?

Question, in 6 or whatever years, are you happy with the Maj experiment ?

In 2010-20, the Brad Scotts decade, the only only remote success we had that will be on any sort of record books was when Boomer broke the games record for the comp and when Maj won the Grand Final Sprint (first time a North player has won it,) and when he won mark if the year.

So experimenting on someone who came to the country at 13 with a rookie pick is something I'm happy with. We'd have had even less to celebrate without him and who knows what a better coach could have done with him.

He brought some honour to the club during a very lean period.

He is still capable of providing a significant point of difference too, based on the footy he has played since his pelvis issue. He has finally had as much exposure to the game as most players in their very early 20s. We've put this much effort into him and he's finally started to give some return on the investment, why give it away now?

If he has a half decent year and gets another gig then all he needs is two good seasons, and that's all we need out of him (plus 100 games for his bloodlines) - with the young guys on our list starting their peak and the older players at the absolute peak of their powers he could be a flag winning weapon. He could still give us two (or more) dominant years of football.

Finally he is good marketing. He is recognisable, larger than life, has an amazing back story and is one of the few players we have who is recognised and known across the league.

That's more than a lot of other rookies have brought us.

Apr 3, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In 2010-20, the Brad Scotts decade, the only only remote success we had that will be on any sort of record books was when Boomer broke the games record for the comp and when Maj won the Grand Final Sprint (first time a North player has won it,) and when he won mark if the year.

So experimenting on someone who came to the country at 13 with a rookie pick is something I'm happy with. We'd have had even less to celebrate without him and who knows what a better coach could have done with him.

He brought some honour to the club during a very lean period.

He is still capable of providing a significant point of difference too, based on the footy he has played since his pelvis issue. He has finally had as much exposure to the game as most players in their very early 20s. We've put this much effort into him and he's finally started to give some return on the investment, why give it away now?

If he has a half decent year and gets another gig then all he needs is two good seasons, and that's all we need out of him (plus 100 games for his bloodlines) - with the young guys on our list starting their peak and the older players at the absolute peak of their powers he could be a flag winning weapon. He could still give us two (or more) dominant years of football.

Finally he is good marketing. He is recognisable, larger than life, has an amazing back story and is one of the few players we have who is recognised and known across the league.

That's more than a lot of other rookies have brought us.

seriously I find it hard to go past this as the most exciting play of the last decade

seriously I find it hard to go past this as the most exciting play of the last decade

What a moment that was hey. I remember thinking "what have we got here".

For all the crap people spin about highlight reels vs hard, unrewarded, everyday footy (and much of it is fair enough) there is something exhilarating about Maj playing if he has some confidence. You never know what he is gonna do but he is always seconds away from spectacular stuff.

We watch footy for those highlights as much as anything else, especially when we aren't contending for a flag. Well I do anyway and I know plenty of others with a similar attitude.

Black2Blue

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What a moment that was hey. I remember thinking "what have we got here".

For all the crap people spin about highlight reels vs hard, unrewarded, everyday footy (and much of it is fair enough) there is something exhilarating about Maj playing if he has some confidence. You never know what he is gonna do but he is always seconds away from spectacular stuff.

We watch footy for those highlights as much as anything else, especially when we aren't contending for a flag. Well I do anyway and I know plenty of others with a similar attitude.
Beautifully put, ferbs. The footy field's a stage and there are many subplots happening that make up the whole theatre of it. A great example is the North-Sydney game at Docklands when Maj played on Allir Allir. It was a cracking game of footy, the Swans up to their usual tricks with the runner playing 19th man, a one-kick result. And then the contest and then camaraderie between Maj and Allir and watching that with 2 of my South Sudanese friends didn't distract from the game, but enhanced it. It became one of those special footy moments.

It's not a case of one or the other. I remember games where I would be on the edge of my seat whenever Maj goes near the ball, but just as easily out of my seat when Gibbo or Kanye did some hard defensive running in the last quarter. And in 2018, one of the things that made Maj recognised as one of the leading defenders in the comp was that he was doing the hard, unrewarded, everyday footy of spoils, chases, tackling, etc.

I think confidence is going to be the issue in his return to playing his best footy. He looked like a nervous first-gamer, which was understandable after the comeback he has gone through. I love the way the club has taken any limelight off him and watching him at training early in the year, he had a quiet determination. Looking forward to him getting a string of games together in the coming months.

Go Maj.

Last edited:

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Maj finally became a consistent & productive member of the side and we should just leave it at that.

He's not a "best 3 defender" in the comp, not even close. The issue now is that the typical social media response from many is that I am bagging the bloke, when I am definitely not, it's just that the ridiculous embellishment of Majak's "purple patch" invited a watering down of the claims.

Not every player can play that peel off role and average in the top 3 for intercept and contested marks either.

Tarrant, as good as he is, wouldn't be as effective in the role as Majak as an example.

We played Lachie Hansen in the same role for a number of years and I think Majak's 2018 was better than anything Lachie produced.

McGovern is considered the best defender in the game at the moment and he plays the same role for WC.

I think you are underselling it's importance and how hard it is to find someone genuinely good at that role.

It's not a seagull HBF type role....

Back