Moved Thread #1: Majak Daw -

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thompson is arguably the best forward "tweener" defender in the comp.

Shut down Hogan in the forward 50 yesterday, gave Lynch a bath in round 1 and assisted in destroying the StKilda forward line last week.

I expect he will get Curnow this week. Tazza to Casboult.

To be fair, I don’t think he really wanted the advantage - kind of went to stop - but the umpire kept calling him on... Took a ripping mark a bit later to help atone.

In saying that, I don’t think he’s played to level he or others would like this far his year.

he stopped and looked at the umps whistle as the ump called "play on". Unlucky or it was "stupid" umpiring.

It also gives us the chance to get games into EVW.

This more than anything. Team player this year Thompson and I suspect if and when the time comes for him to step to the side he won't kick and scream - but someone will have to earn it. In the meantime he allows us to get games into EVW and potentially a couple of other guys as the year wears on without them getting thrown to the dogs completely.

he stopped and looked at the umps whistle as the ump called "play on". Unlucky or it was "stupid" umpiring.

Latter. Supposed to be a clear advantage - which there's not if there's a guy close enough to lay a hand on you.

This is where irrationality takes hold: that play happened right in front of me, and Daw, amid three Melbourne players, did well to get a finger tip on a handball that was going to be a certain goal; the ball bounced away and before Daw could get it under control, Melbourne managed to knock it to Lewis' advantage - the ball was never 'stripped', and you just happen to avoid mentioning that Daw saved a certain goal to begin with

Go back and have a look at the replay - it's in the AFL highlights package

If you're going to pot a bloke, at least tell the whole of the story, rather than just the bit that suits
That's the way I saw that play as well. He was massively outnumbered, looked like a certain goal and so he gambled and tried to intercept the handball but just didn't hold on to the ball. I think he just dropped it but I couldn't say whether it was stripped or not because on the footage is from behind. Either way for me it was the right decision/instinct to try and intercept just didn't quite hold on to it. Not a disaster/blunder for mine, in that situation when you're the last defender/massively and outnumbered you tend to end up looking like a dill. . I'm not convinced he's in our best defensive 6 but actually did a lot of defensive things well yesterday I thought.

To be fair, I don’t think he really wanted the advantage - kind of went to stop - but the umpire kept calling him on... Took a ripping mark a bit later to help atone.

In saying that, I don’t think he’s played to level he or others would like this far his year.

I agree it was a s**t call by the ump, but I expect more from lmac in that situation, he should be doing more now and consistently, look at that ripper mark he takes 2 minutes later, is it an oh I am shitty with myself moment or can he do that all game? I want it all game from lmac now. to me he is looking very content with himself, like a few others.

But anyway back on Maj I don't get why some sticking the boots into the guy who was number 1 for Contested Marks and 1%ers and number 2 Marks and Tackles in our team yesterday, but by all means continue on guys, and don't forget to add this game to the number of games Maj has played in that we have lost, after all again it was his fault :rolleyes::rolleyes:

He could have called it back . Stupid umpiring and the dick didn't even even it up later .. Should be dropped . Turned the game gave them momentum .

Did it happen in the same spot where you saw B. King dominate as a forward?

Rubbish.

1) He was definitely stripped of possession. Although I can't post it here as the club never puts together highlight packages of his blunders.
2) The boundary was 3 feet in front of him and he still couldn't kill the ball.

The bloke has no actual defensive mindset whatsoever.
The tripe and rubbish I've just read over the last few pages from you must be some of the most bitter, irrational, twisted collection of blind hatred I can remember reading in my entire time on BF. Anyone who happens to praise the guy immediately becomes a target for your clearly unresolved rage. So yeah feel free to come back at me. I couldn't care less.

The guy was fantastic today. Yes he has parts of his game he needs to work on but so do 21 other players who donned the jersey yesterday. His clean-up of Lewis in the first quarter was the retribution I personally have been waiting for since that campaigner king hit Goldstein a couple of years ago. How could you not applaud that at the very least. His marking, second efforts and 1 percenters were fantastic under exceptional pressure from both the repeated entries of a dominant opposition midfield and ruckman but also under the watchful eye of a frenzied pack of keyboard warriors such as yourself.

Again there's no problem in fans having opinions but when you overstep the line of rational and become personal then you cease to become relevant.

That's the way I saw that play as well. He was massively outnumbered, looked like a certain goal and so he gambled and tried to intercept the handball but just didn't hold on to the ball. I think he just dropped it but I couldn't say whether it was stripped or not because on the footage is from behind.

What would have real defenders like Tarrant, Thompson, Williams, MacMillan, Wright, etc., etc., etc., have done in the exact same circumstances?

Answer: They would have kept the ball in front of them and made sure the ball went over the boundary the moment they drew contact.

This more than anything. Team player this year Thompson and I suspect if and when the time comes for him to step to the side he won't kick and scream - but someone will have to earn it. In the meantime he allows us to get games into EVW and potentially a couple of other guys as the year wears on without them getting thrown to the dogs completely.

Latter. Supposed to be a clear advantage - which there's not if there's a guy close enough to lay a hand on you.
In the * vs western game, the ump called advantage, when the ball spilled to the advantage of the * player, who muffed the handpass... Bring it back says the ump. No advantage there! Have the free mate.

What would have real defenders like Tarrant, Thompson, Williams, MacMillan, Wright, etc., etc., etc., have done in the exact same circumstances?

Answer: They would have kept the ball in front of them and made sure the ball went over the boundary the moment they drew contact.
The same thing I reckon. You could try and tackle the ball ball carrier but that's what they are looking for you to do so they can dish it off just before the contact, then you are completely out of the contest. Better to not commit and just try and shark the handball when they give it. 8 times out of 10 they're kicking a goal in that situation no matter what you do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The same thing I reckon. You could try and tackle the ball ball carrier but that's what they are looking for you to do so they can dish it off just before the contact, then you are completely out of the contest. Better to not commit and just try and shark the handball when they give it. 8 times out of 10 they're kicking a goal in that situation no matter what you do.

My answer is revealed in the quote. They would have killed the ball at the boundary line.

The sharking is not an issue, it was good. What he did then was the issue.

Thought Daw ... tried hard all day, what more can we ask?

This is the point. Maj showed more heart, and gave more than just about everyone out there yesterday. Some of the North layers looked pretty detached, and not many seemed to bust their guts, even when the game was in the balance. Expectations that Maj or any other player on North's list adequately fills the boots of Taz are over the top. But back to effort... Maj was clearly trying. A lot of what he did paid off. Not everything. You could say the exact opposite about half the rest of the team.

My answer is revealed in the quote. They would have killed the ball at the boundary line.

The sharking is not an issue, it was good. What he did then was the issue.
My personal take on that is that he tried to catch the ball as it was handballed but just dropped it/fumbled it and lost control of it that way. I suspect he was trying to catch it cleanly and then hope to be immediately tackled and get a ball up or be bundled over for a boundary throw in or a rushed behind. I'm just speculating though as there was only footage from behind and his back obscured the view of what actually happened. So, it's a fumble and a mistake but the choice he made was a good one I thought.

My personal take on that is that he tried to catch the ball as it was handballed but just dropped it/fumbled it and lost control of it that way. I suspect he was trying to catch it cleanly and then hope to be immediately tackled and get a ball up or be bundled over for a boundary throw in or a rushed behind. I'm just speculating though as there was only footage from behind and his back obscured the view of what actually happened. So, it's a fumble and a mistake but the choice he made was a good one I thought.

Honestly, Majak doesn't have a defensive bone in his body. It is diametrically opposed to his natural instincts.

Surely you can acknowledge that?

Honestly, Majak doesn't have a defensive bone in his body. It is diametrically opposed to his natural instincts.

Surely you can acknowledge that?
That isn't a massive surprise given how few games he has played down there. I think most defenders would have ended up conceding a goal in that situation. They had a big numerical advantage. Just don't see that particular incident as a massive blunder.

He is not in our best side, however did some nice things yesterday.
Did he really need to start in the backline though when Melbourne were short up forward?
Again shows how reactive Brad is as a coach.
I would’ve played Majak in the ruck and put Goldy forward. Goldy is all talk and no action at the moment. Got smashed by Gawn all day.
At least when Majak went into the ruck he competed with Gawn.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The tripe and rubbish I've just read over the last few pages from you must be some of the most bitter, irrational, twisted collection of blind hatred I can remember reading in my entire time on BF. Anyone who happens to praise the guy immediately becomes a target for your clearly unresolved rage. So yeah feel free to come back at me. I couldn't care less.

The guy was fantastic today. Yes he has parts of his game he needs to work on but so do 21 other players who donned the jersey yesterday. His clean-up of Lewis in the first quarter was the retribution I personally have been waiting for since that campaigner king hit Goldstein a couple of years ago. How could you not applaud that at the very least. His marking, second efforts and 1 percenters were fantastic under exceptional pressure from both the repeated entries of a dominant opposition midfield and ruckman but also under the watchful eye of a frenzied pack of keyboard warriors such as yourself.

Again there's no problem in fans having opinions but when you overstep the line of rational and become personal then you cease to become relevant.
I've developed true love for the ignore function ☺

Should Maj be given another chance in a spot that could be argued he would do just as good a job if not better than the player currently holding that spot? cough cough Goldie

I don’t think Brad will drop Goldie for Daw no matter how s**t he plays

Daw doesn’t have the tank. Pretty much the only thing preventing Daw coming into Ruck imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back