Traded #1: Michael Hibberd - Premiership Player!! Onya Piggy 🐽

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's my proposition, and I'm going to key Striker475 in on this because he seems to be around quite a bit and offers good value.

Essendon receive pick 14 from GWS
Melbourne receive Hibberd
GWS receive 27 from Melbourne, 37 and 55 from Essendon

GWS climb 232 points up the totem pole, dees get their guy, Essendon seriously well compensated.

And before anyone says 'but Jack, they closed the 'hidden pick' loophole', here's why they didn't (and I'm taking liberties with a few assumptions in regards to GWS list movement here).

For those that don't know the basic gist around 'hidden picks' can be found here http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-22/draft-loophole-to-remain-despite-some-clubs-concern

So basically, for normal clubs with a primary list of 40, 4 spaces on the list would mean 4 selections in the draft, then after that, everything moves to the back of the draft and becomes worthless for the purposes of matching bids.

But, as usual, GWS are a special, delicate flower and need all the help they can get, so as part of their entrance concessions they're allowed a primary list of 44 in 2017 (this year they're allowed 46, of which they used 42), which for them means the loophole isn't really closed, is it? They can trade away and delist deadwood, bring the primary list down to 40 or 41 and preserve the ability to have 4 or 5 'hidden selections' in this draft, because they're not really hidden selections.

In practice GWS (depending on how picky they wish to be) could have as many as 9 active selections going into the draft to use on as little as 5 actual players.

TLDR: Hidden pick loophole very much open, but only for GWS, and only because the AFL gifted them additional spare list space that they aren't using.
Quick question, how many jackets are you wearing right now?
Get it done Dodo.

That means we have picks 1,14,19 and next pick is 73 - I want to take 4 or 5 picks in this draft plus Tippa and Dea - We have lots of deadwood on this list which needs to be pruned in the next two years.

Here's my proposition, and I'm going to key Striker475 in on this because he seems to be around quite a bit and offers good value.

GWS climb 232 points up the totem pole, dees get their guy, Essendon seriously well compensated.

And before anyone says 'but Jack, they closed the 'hidden pick' loophole', here's why they didn't (and I'm taking liberties with a few assumptions in regards to GWS list movement here).

For those that don't know the basic gist around 'hidden picks' can be found here http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-22/draft-loophole-to-remain-despite-some-clubs-concern

So basically, for normal clubs with a primary list of 40, 4 spaces on the list would mean 4 selections in the draft, then after that, everything moves to the back of the draft and becomes worthless for the purposes of matching bids.

But, as usual, GWS are a special, delicate flower and need all the help they can get, so as part of their entrance concessions they're allowed a primary list of 44 in 2017 (this year they're allowed 46, of which they used 42), which for them means the loophole isn't really closed, is it? They can trade away and delist deadwood, bring the primary list down to 40 or 41 and preserve the ability to have 4 or 5 'hidden selections' in this draft, because they're not really hidden selections.

In practice GWS (depending on how picky they wish to be) could have as many as 9 active selections going into the draft to use on as little as 5 actual players.

TLDR: Hidden pick loophole very much open, but only for GWS, and only because the AFL gifted them additional spare list space that they aren't using.
Do you want trades? Because that's how you get trades.

That means we have picks 1,14,19 and next pick is 73 - I want to take 4 or 5 picks in this draft plus Tippa and Dea - We have lots of deadwood on this list which needs to be pruned in the next two years.
You're going to have to give up #1 if you want to get more picks, just the reality.
Jack Package how many points is 55 worth? Would Essendon necessary have to give it up?

I would be more than happy with this deal because I only want to take three picks in this draft (along with picking up Dea and elevating Tippa and McKenna) The higher those picks are the better.

Then how do you propose we go about getting those 4-5 active picks? Because you seem adamant on not trading down Pick 1.

Also - Doss can you please change title to 'Michael Hibberd - $eeking fre$h $tart el$ewhere 20/8'?

Would people trade 19 for Salem?

I think his worth is around that 18-25 range right now but Melbourne fans would think a top 15 pick

I don't mean to sound abrupt or rude so forgive me if I come across as such. I've heard this too but I can't see how anyone can place that pick on a guy who's been injured for 2 years and hasn't even played any solid patches of good football?? Bizarre to me. Salem has potential, but he would more likely be worth a mid to late 2nd round pick at this stage imo. I'd be shitty if we gave #19 for him.

If be happy with pick 1,14,19 and 73 (which may likely come down with some clubs not using picks before it).

So 1,14,19 and say ~60 then upgrade both Tippa and Mckenna (I havnt been given the chance to watch him play some of his good football but from listening to others here he is worth an upgrade).

So with this we would add 6 quality players, 3 top 20 picks and 2 rookie upgrades then hopefully hit another Fantasia around the pick 60 mark. Then add Dea through Free Agency.

Thats 7 players coming in.

I agree with yaco55 we will have a lot of deadwood to get rid of and guys moving on at the end of this year or next year.

Howlett, Dempsey, Hibberd, Watson, Goddard, Ashby, Kommer, Stanton, Cooney, Pears, Gwilt, S.Edwards, Bird? J.Merrett? S.Mckernan? Maybe even Morgan and/or Yeades (if they dont get a game next year)

Bringing 7 in this year would be ideal i still think we would be better off with pick 5 and 9 from GC instead of 1 with our situation.

You're going to have to give up #1 if you want to get more picks, just the reality.
Jack Package how many points is 55 worth? Would Essendon necessary have to give it up?

Worth 200 odd, so it's necessary. If you were to receive a late pick as FA compo or in a trade and were willing to throw that into the mix (either to us, or to GWS to make it more worth their while) that would be swell.

yaco55 the back end of the draft will fold back in much like last year, so 73 will move into the 60s and so on, that and the potential to bring 4-5 guys straight onto the list via rookie upgrades and delisted free agency means this is a viable option imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wont have to draft Dea, him (and maybe Kelly) come on as FA, we upgrade walla with 73 and take 1,14,19 to the draft

thats 6 new people on the senior list

I would be more than happy with this deal because I only want to take three picks in this draft (along with picking up Dea and elevating Tippa and McKenna) The higher those picks are the better.

I would wait another year to upgrade McKenna - Must take at least 4 picks in this draft alongside Dean and Tippa - Think forward to the 2017 draft and there is another 4 or 5 players who should not be on the list.

If that. Grimes is a free agent, he's been milked to 100 games and will now be pushed out the door with fingers crossed for compensation.

Compensation is allegedly based on total dollars and length of contract - Can't see Grimes receiving a big contract.

Worth 200 odd, so it's necessary. If you were to receive a late pick as FA compo or in a trade and were willing to throw that into the mix (either to us, or to GWS to make it more worth their while) that would be swell.

yaco55 the back end of the draft will fold back in much like last year, so 73 will move into the 60s and so on, that and the potential to bring 4-5 guys straight onto the list via rookie upgrades and delisted free agency means this is a viable option imo.

I have no trouble picking late in the draft but would prefer a fourth pick in the 50's - 2013 ND; Pick 55 - Fantasia, Pick 56 - Sicily, Pick 57 - Hunt. This shows you can find AFL standard players in the 4th round - For me upgrade Tippa, DFA Dea and trade in O'Meara - That gives us 7 new players on the primary list - I'm mindful there are another 5 or 6 players who won't be around in 2018, so I am thinking two years ahead. Ideally would like to swap pic 1 for two picks in the top10 but that's probably a pipe dream.

Can someone email this to the club please???

So Pig would be happy to stay at Essendon if a deal can't be done.

interesting will give us extra liverage if Melbourne play funny buggers at the trade table.
Track record suggests we won't. We seem to just get deals done, no stuffing around. EG last year with the Suns - had a whole trade planned with them around Howe and pick 3. Howe chose the Pies instead, we swapped Howe for what the Pies gave us and kept talking.

I think it's more if Essendon goes 'first round pick' when everyone knows we don't have one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back