1. Mitch Brown (2007 - 2016)

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Going by Worsfold's interview yesterday, it looks as though Mitch might be a serious contender to replace Kennedy in the side, when he returns from his eye injury.

Worsfold admitted that Brown hadn't played as a forward for a long time but you would think he's capable enough to provide a decent contest and I personally can't see him being beaten for the gig by a first or 2nd year tall.

Prem87

Cancelled
10k Posts
Dec 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
He's played like crap whenever he's been played in the forward line since his knee reco. That being said I would love him to capture his pre knee reco form up forward if he does get a chance to play. In his first few games he played a lot like Sydney's Sam Reid - super athletic.

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
PRE-GAME:

As we all know Mitch has been named on the bench to play Essendon tomorrow night.

While Essendon will take 2 tall forwards into this game (counting Crameri as a tall), Mitch might be asked to take one of the 2, to allow Glass to float from contest to contest, using his superior reading of the play to dominate the game.

The bombers would likely want to create a similar set up in their own defence with 1000 year old defender, Dustin Fletcher. As a result, Mitch might also be asked to play as a forward to stretch the Bombers for height and remain dangerous so that Fletcher doesn't have an an impotent opponent to zone off from.

This is a big game for Mitch. If he wants to remain in the side when Schofield gets back, he'll have to prove that he's still up to the intensity of AFL and that he's worthwhile as a forward. The benefits for Mitch could be huge if he plays well a a defender and forward - swing men get picked and are very valuable.

Having said that, I predict Dr. Worsfold will play this conservatively and leave Mitch in defence all game.

FACTS YOU WISH YOU DIDN'T KNOW:

- This will be Brown's 5th game against Essendon, making them the team he's played against most often in the AFL.
- Mitch's record against the Bombers is 3-1
- In round 19, 2009, Mitch had 22 disposals against the Bombers
- Mitch is yet to record a tackle this season

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Some recent snaps of Mitch at training.

54385_18_1.jpg

54372_15_1.jpg

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
AFL ROUND 7:

Stats:
6 Disposals (2k, 4HB), 2 Marks, 2 Tackles

After 3 games he's averaging career lows in kicks, disposals, marks, tackles and goals.

James says:

When Brown started to full forward, I have to admit, I thought it was a good aggressive coaching move. Sadly, Mitch failed to have an impact up forward and was switched into defence later in the game, where he also didn't do incredibly much.

To an extent this game proved that Brown is no longer a forward, if you had any lingering doubt. The only thing you could say in the defence of his game as a forward was that out other KPFs did next to nothing as well (Lycett 5 disposals, Darling 8, Lynch 11).

Worsfold says:
The team, collectively, has to learn.

Bigfooty says:
Brown isn't a forward/Brown is crap.

Fantasy prospects:
25 DT points this week for Mitch. He should be in your team already.

Rating:
1/10. It's unfortunate but it's hard to see what he brought to the side yesterday.

The bottom line:
Schofield certain inclusion against the Saints means that there's no space for Brown in defence.

His form as a forward and the likely return of Naitanui, means that he likely won't get a gig there either.

Back to the WAFL.

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
Would be glad to retain him as depth although I could understand if he wanted to leave.

Mind you he really hasn't done enough at AFL level to command a spot anywhere let alone in a top four team. Still hope he stays.

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Brown has been named in the side to play Brisbane this week.

The fact that both Lycett and Brown have been named makes me think someone is in doubt. Maybe Lynch?

Having said that, I can't imagine Brown making the cut.

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Another forward, West Perth’s Andrew Strijk, key defender Mitch Brown and midfielder Koby Stevens were also in stellar form across the weekend.

Brown and Stevens were engaged in the Fremantle derby on Monday and played key roles in propelling East Fremantle to a pulsating victory over South Fremantle. Brown had the task of shutting down key Bulldogs forward Paul Mugambwa and did that task expertly before being thrown onto potential match-winner Andrew McCarrey.

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7155/newsid/137977/default.aspx

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
M Brown - K 4 H 7 M 3 Defender shut down Brad Holmes out of the game .

The review of Mitch's game yesterday from the Sunday times (thanks to the poster who put it up on the WAFL thread).

His stats are a little down and it's odd that he was playing on a guy who's listed as 183cm. However, Holmes has often been a dangerous goal kicker (24 in 7 games), and Mitch being the first guy to keep him goalless in 2012 must be a decent feather in the cap.

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
375487-east-fremantle-039-s-mitch-brown.jpg

It's pretty obvious but Mitch is likely to come into the West Coast backline to replace Schofield against Collingwood this weekend. His WAFL form over the past few weeks has been solids, as usual, and being basically the only other KPD on the list, you'd have to assume he's in.

Filling in is what he's paid to do this year, so he'd want to do a reasonable job, even against a very dangerous Collingwood outfit.

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
FOR JUST the second time in nearly six seasons, Rob and Sue Brown will be able to watch their twin sons play on the same football field, at the same time.

When Collingwood takes on West Coast on Saturday in the highly anticipated top of the table clash at the MCG, 23-year-old brothers Nathan and Mitch will also face off.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/139248/default.aspx

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
West Coast defender Mitch Brown has declared himself ready and in form to replace injured teammate Will Schofield, saying he had been thinking about playing in tomorrow's match against Collingwood for several weeks.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/14010941/brown-the-perfect-fit/

180612spteagles4_17u7i2f-17u7i2k.jpg

This bit is the most interesting to me:

"I've been pretty happy with my last month of footy," he said.
"I'm getting the best opposition forward every week in the WAFL and that's really helped my game.
"Whether it's been a tall or a small, I've been able to go back in an environment where you can work on some stuff and play some good footy, so hopefully I get an opportunity.

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
AFL ROUND 13:

Stats:
8 Disposals (5k, 3HB), 3 Marks, 0 Tackles, 75% DE, 69% TOG (Subbed in the 3rd quarter).

5 Kicks is the most Mitch has had in an AFL game this season. It's also worth noting that he only has 2 tackles from the 4 games he has played.

James says:

Mitch didn't really have much influence, did he?

Oddly, I didn't pay particularly close attention to this game but from what I remember, Brown spend time on Dawes and Fasolo. Defensively, he did some alright things and neither Dawes nor Fasolo really got away from us at any stage. Fasolo kicked 2 goals but I don't think either one was on Brown and Dawes was basically unsighted. You can't complain from a defensive standpoint, even if it wasn't spectacular.

Having said that, offensively, Brown gave nothing. Of course, it's not the end of the world if your key defenders aren't racking them up, in fact it can sometimes be a seriously positive sign, and the game was also played in such a way that time and space was so rare that a big, somewhat lumbering type like Brown was never going to get a heap of it, but it really would've been good to see Mitch get amongst it, considering opportunities aren't exactly falling into his lap.

I believe the statistics really tell a story here. Zero tackles, 0 hit outs, 0 frees for and against, 1 rebound 50 and zero moments where you stopped at thoughts "* at least he's having a crack".

Worsfold says:
Update coming.

Bigfooty says:
We don't need to play necessarily need to play 3 tall defenders. It works with Schofield but not so much with Brown.

Fantasy prospects:
30 DT points.

Put him on your watch list.

Rating:
4/10. Didn't get burnt by an opponent but didn't add much either.

The bottom line:
There's a slight chance that Brown won't get selected against the Suns since The Eagles can probably get away with one less tall defender against them. On the other hand, giving Brown AFL game time might be wise in case we need him later. Glass or MacKenzie may also enjoy a rest.

Regardless, as soon as Schofield comes back...

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Back