Player Watch #1: Nick Vlastuin

Remove this Banner Ad

What would be nice to see next year is Vlaustin at least an option for the rotation.

Whilst stability in defence is important, replacing a player in that rotation should be part of the plan where required in any game. If we need a bigger body in the middle to win a few contests or quell an opposition dominating, be willing to move Floss in there. Same approach should be applied to moving Houli onto a wing or Yarran onto a wing or up forward.

To my eye, we have 3 or 4 players in defence and 2 or 3 in the forward line who will play more or less stay in the respective zones all year. The other 15-17 players should have the flexibility to play multiple positions (or at least a second position) and we should have game plans to take advantage of this whether for offensive or defensive purposes.

Good point I think with the reduced rotations he may have to play some time in the midfield

Floss' problem as a midfielder has been a limited tank. By now he should be able to run out a game as a mid. Looking at our recruitment they are looking at more inside mids. Adding Floss to that mix would be great.

Floss' problem as a midfielder has been a limited tank. By now he should be able to run out a game as a mid. Looking at our recruitment they are looking at more inside mids. Adding Floss to that mix would be great.
Agree. Cotchin, Miles and Vlastuin would be an awesome starting midfield.

Agree. Cotchin, Miles and Vlastuin would be an awesome starting midfield.

Get a fit Conca, mature(ish) CEllis in and it looks fairly imposing. And if Townsend is decent like the rumours then we have real depth and quality.

as i would like to see him have a hit out in the middle i don't think the FD rate him or want him there as why would they have wasted their time picking up
Moore and Townsend?When DH rang up Moore he told him you can come and play in our midfield.i'm not sure if he was referring to our vfl side

floss.jpg

Last edited:
I think Vlastuin has the capability to play mid but the coach sees his value more in the backline and until someone that has his hardness and his intercept ability come in and take over he is likely to stay
otherwise we would have recruited a lock down defender and not 2 inside mids in Moore and Townsend

I remember a few times late last season Dimma has said Vlas will stay down back for the moment. Personally i love the guy and his courage and skill, the knock has always been he doesn't get enough of it. Anyone that heads down to preseason pls update us if Vlas is running his backside off as that would give us an inclination..

Personally i see why people want him in the inside mid role as he is a beast one on one..

I also don't think he will be our next skipper, its possible as i know he was the skip for metro TAC, all the interview I've seen with him he is a relaxed surfer dude, obviously on the field he is as hard as nails but skippers these days need to be motivators and leaders off field, i am not sure his personality suits AFL skipper material off field, same as Rance, although Rance is a very different kettle of fish and i don't think he will ever be in the leadership group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember a few times late last season Dimma has said Vlas will stay down back for the moment. Personally i love the guy and his courage and skill, the knock has always been he doesn't get enough of it. Anyone that heads down to preseason pls update us if Vlas is running his backside off as that would give us an inclination..

Personally i see why people want him in the inside mid role as he is a beast one on one..

I also don't think he will be our next skipper, its possible as i know he was the skip for metro TAC, all the interview I've seen with him he is a relaxed surfer dude, obviously on the field he is as hard as nails but skippers these days need to be motivators and leaders off field, i am not sure his personality suits AFL skipper material off field, same as Rance, although Rance is a very different kettle of fish and i don't think he will ever be in the leadership group.

Rance is one of our best/most respected leaders..?

Rance is one of our best/most respected leaders..?

Personally i won't call him one our most respected leaders...

On field he is a superstar, off field he is a guy who is a goose that the players love, he's taken extended time off to travel and be with his family which is fair enough and i back him in (and suggest the club does otherwise they wouldn't have allowed it) to come back in ripping nick and tear the comp a new one as he has done last 2 years, just because he's a superstar doesn't make him a leader... Thats my opinion FWIW

Personally i won't call him one our most respected leaders...

On field he is a superstar, off field he is a guy who is a goose that the players love, he's taken extended time off to travel and be with his family which is fair enough and i back him in (and suggest the club does otherwise they wouldn't have allowed it) to come back in ripping nick and tear the comp a new one as he has done last 2 years, just because he's a superstar doesn't make him a leader... Thats my opinion FWIW

I wasn't posting my opinion. I was posting the opinion of the players/coaches. I've heard them say it. On field he is the most talkative and leads the defence more so than Chaplin.

I wasn't posting my opinion. I was posting the opinion of the players/coaches. I've heard them say it. On field he is the most talkative and leads the defence more so than Chaplin.

That's just not true. The coaches and players have said many times that Chaplin leads the defence and tells the other players where to go. Rance stepped up in this area last year but he's not quite there yet.

That's just not true. The coaches and players have said many times that Chaplin leads the defence and tells the other players where to go. Rance stepped up in this area last year but he's not quite there yet.

I'm pretty sure there have been interviews with some of the other defenders eg. Vlastuin and Grimes etc and they mentioned Rance is the loudest on the field. Between he and Troy they direct the defence.

Always wanted Vlastuin to progress to the midfield but seeing what he brings to the backline im happy to see him stay there. Apart from being a gun player he is a great leader and the future general down back.

Fair enough mate, but i can say i have seen every interview on RFC site and watch every game (in last 3 years as im now retired and have nothing better to do), i have never heard in an interview that he is a future leader from any of the senior establishment, or that he is very vocal on field setting him up to be a leader/skipper thats not to say i don't love Flossy as he is the epidbme of tough footballer and i truly would like him even if he played for another club.

He may well be a leader of a footy club, as i said in my earlier post he was Vic Metro capt, but from what i have seen he seems like a surfer dude who is well liked and respected but not the motivational leader that is required at AFL, of course its all subjective but thats my opinion... In saying that it wouldn't surprise me at all if he is in the leadership group in the next year or two

We needed him when he first came to the club, but our defence is pretty well drilled unit these days. Surely our players know the structures by now.

Fair enough mate, but i can say i have seen every interview on RFC site and watch every game (in last 3 years as im now retired and have nothing better to do), i have never heard in an interview that he is a future leader from any of the senior establishment, or that he is very vocal on field setting him up to be a leader/skipper thats not to say i don't love Flossy as he is the epidbme of tough footballer and i truly would like him even if he played for another club.

He may well be a leader of a footy club, as i said in my earlier post he was Vic Metro capt, but from what i have seen he seems like a surfer dude who is well liked and respected but not the motivational leader that is required at AFL, of course its all subjective but thats my opinion... In saying that it wouldn't surprise me at all if he is in the leadership group in the next year or two

Aren't we talking about Rance?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back