Player Watch #1: Nick Vlastuin

Remove this Banner Ad

Rance is one of our best/most respected leaders..?

Personally i won't call him one our most respected leaders...

On field he is a superstar, off field he is a guy who is a goose that the players love, he's taken extended time off to travel and be with his family which is fair enough and i back him in (and suggest the club does otherwise they wouldn't have allowed it) to come back in ripping nick and tear the comp a new one as he has done last 2 years, just because he's a superstar doesn't make him a leader... Thats my opinion FWIW

I wasn't posting my opinion. I was posting the opinion of the players/coaches. I've heard them say it. On field he is the most talkative and leads the defence more so than Chaplin.

Fair enough mate, but i can say i have seen every interview on RFC site and watch every game (in last 3 years as im now retired and have nothing better to do), i have never heard in an interview that he is a future leader from any of the senior establishment, or that he is very vocal on field setting him up to be a leader/skipper thats not to say i don't love Flossy as he is the epidbme of tough footballer and i truly would like him even if he played for another club.

He may well be a leader of a footy club, as i said in my earlier post he was Vic Metro capt, but from what i have seen he seems like a surfer dude who is well liked and respected but not the motivational leader that is required at AFL, of course its all subjective but thats my opinion... In saying that it wouldn't surprise me at all if he is in the leadership group in the next year or two

Aren't we talking about Rance?

Was obviously talking about Vlas

Do you even know what you're in about?

Watching the hawks tonight and in particular Shaun Burgoyne and I can't help but see the similarities between the two. As defenders they are calm and cool under pressure with the ability to make key tackles and intercept. Whilst as midfielders they tackle, come up with key plays, get clearances and can push forward. With both being low accumulators.

Watching the hawks tonight and in particular Shaun Burgoyne and I can't help but see the similarities between the two. As defenders they are calm and cool under pressure with the ability to make key tackles and intercept. Whilst as midfielders they tackle, come up with key plays, get clearances and can push forward. With both being low accumulators.
If only floss spent as much time in the guts as burgs used to. Seriously underated player of this generation is burgs.

His last 3 seasons are the level most thought they'd see from Burgoyne when he came across, before that you'd say he had been at most serviceable since his transfer.
Considering when he moved to the hawks he had an injury (forget what exactly but i recall the news said career threatening).

Imo until the last three years he had been performing at a very very good level. His performances in finals (last 3 years) i think is what makes us think that he was just 'serviceable' in those previous years. Stands up in big games. Oozes that silky class.

Considering when he moved to the hawks he had an injury (forget what exactly but i recall the news said career threatening).

Imo until the last three years he had been performing at a very very good level. His performances in finals (last 3 years) i think is what makes us think that he was just 'serviceable' in those previous years. Stands up in big games. Oozes that silky class.
There were a lot of threads going around about his returns over his time at Hawthorn and they weren't great. Three years ago you'd say he hadn't lived up to expectations.

Just added Prestia and Caddy and re-signed Conca. You ain't never seeing midfield time buddy.

raining_david_tennant.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need him in there less now, and he really makes our defence look a lot more solid. If he spends more time in the middle it's a bonus, but I'm happy enough with him in the back pocket.

Batchelor may be a key to floss moving into the middle. It could be,

Batchelor Astbury Chaplin
Houli Rance Grimes
Yarran (7th defender)

I don't think Chaplin will have a good year in the backline. I would recommend a coaching role :D:D
Same sort of backline as mine.
I hope we don't play the 7th defender unless late in games or to stop a run on. If we need extra numbers I would prefer it around the stoppages.

Personally i won't call him one our most respected leaders...

On field he is a superstar, off field he is a guy who is a goose that the players love, he's taken extended time off to travel and be with his family which is fair enough and i back him in (and suggest the club does otherwise they wouldn't have allowed it) to come back in ripping nick and tear the comp a new one as he has done last 2 years, just because he's a superstar doesn't make him a leader... Thats my opinion FWIW

A lot like Crawford.

A lot like Crawford.
This was about Rance and some time ago, possibly 12 months ago?.

I have to admit I've changed my thinking with Rancey, i know he still is the court Jester but there is a steel and a maturity about him this year i didn't see prior years, the fact he was promoted to leadership and handled it well i think i spoke incorrectly!

Vlastuin will rotate through the midfield still. Seems like that's the direction the club is taking as per statements Dan Richardson made upon the Prestia/Caddy announcements.
He will still be predominantly back pocket though, where he is solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back