Player Watch #1: Nick Vlastuin

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst everyone is calling for us to recruit player X, Y and Z to make us serious finals contenders, the reality is pulling off such trades is very difficult. We take a free agent? Sure but we have to pay for them and that messes up our salary cap. We give up draft picks? Well not sure how much currency pick 14 or whatever it is will have in a weak draft.

I am all for us drafting in talent but we are limited in what we can do in a year. I think getting Nick in the middle is the single best way we can internally improve our midfield. The guy is an absolute animal, nothing worries him. His big issue is the lack of a tank. Well this will be his fourth pre season and that excuse is wearing thin.

The other thing apart from his hardness is his leadership. He is very quiet and lets his actions speak. Cotchin somehow thinks getting in front of the group and apologising means something. That is not Nick's style, he would take action in the middle

by foot maybe,but inside midfielders need to be quick by mind and hands also which those dudes are.
agree he must be tried as i said yesterday we should have made changers and that could have been a possibilty
I agree to an extent. Sometimes I think Nick is slow with his decision making in the backline because if he makes the wrong one it can result in a set shot on goal, whereas in the guts he can take a few more risks and can move the ball quicker because at worst it will result in a centre clearance.

I agree to an extent. Sometimes I think Nick is slow with his decision making in the backline because if he makes the wrong one it can result in a set shot on goal, whereas in the guts he can take a few more risks and can move the ball quicker because at worst it will result in a centre clearance.
Agree but turnovers anywhere can hurt
I'm with you though he could do more good than bad in the guts

Whilst everyone is calling for us to recruit player X, Y and Z to make us serious finals contenders, the reality is pulling off such trades is very difficult. We take a free agent? Sure but we have to pay for them and that messes up our salary cap. We give up draft picks? Well not sure how much currency pick 14 or whatever it is will have in a weak draft.

I am all for us drafting in talent but we are limited in what we can do in a year. I think getting Nick in the middle is the single best way we can internally improve our midfield. The guy is an absolute animal, nothing worries him. His big issue is the lack of a tank. Well this will be his fourth pre season and that excuse is wearing thin.

The other thing apart from his hardness is his leadership. He is very quiet and lets his actions speak. Cotchin somehow thinks getting in front of the group and apologising means something. That is not Nick's style, he would take action in the middle

Agree tigerisland he has the tools to be a good clearance player. Also I reckon he might be handy occasionally pinch hitting in the forward line, he is very good overhead a lovely kick and a good tackler.

I dunno, I think Vlastuin was one of our best young players this year and I would be hesitant to change his position when he plays it so naturally. My understanding is that he played the bulk of his junior footy on HBF as well.

If you are a dominant HBF young can still have a big impact on the game, like Hodge or Goddard in his good days.

I had this discussion with my uncle on saturday. Should Vlaustin move into the midfield?
IMO he wouldnt be a big ball winner and he is doing his job really well in the backline, so why move him?

I dunno, I think Vlastuin was one of our best young players this year and I would be hesitant to change his position when he plays it so naturally. My understanding is that he played the bulk of his junior footy on HBF as well.
If you are a dominant HBF young can still have a big impact on the game, like Hodge or Goddard in his good days.

Nah he was almost a pure mid who sometimes went back if they were under the pump.
His draft profiles compared him to Sewell as a type.
Great kid,matter of time til he pushes into mids

seth

Just wanted to start a circlejerk thread about him here. We'll have one for most players soon as our list improves and our players all work together as a unit to improve the team.

Anyway, this bloke looks so calm both on and off the footy. Not only is he a blood nut, he's also a hard nut too. More often than not his disposal is on point, he's also courageous going in for marks or for a punch.

Personally I see his future in the midfield, but his defensive work now may prolong his career and help his defensive game in the long term.

I'll sign off by leaving a couple videos here. There isn't much footage of him playing unfortunately, we don't seem to have many fans who are active in uploading player highlights and such.

Nick and his girlfriend being cute, she even stitches him up a bit here:

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2015-09-22/the-two-of-us-nick-vlastuin-georgia

Hello Newman: Nick's Nest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fitted into the team so well. Already played 60+ games in his first 3 years. Will be a future captain of the club.

His house is a mess - would not pass the Ivan Maric cleanliness test....

Dud delist.
Ever been inside a Croatian household? Nobody, except another Croatian, could pass their cleanliness test. Man alive. Their toilets are cleaner than my dinner plates. (If you get what I mean, sorta.)

Ever been inside a Croatian household? Nobody, except another Croatian, could pass their cleanliness test. Man alive. Their toilets are cleaner than my dinner plates. (If you get what I mean, sorta.)
Really?
I need to sack my Italian cleaner then and find a Croatian!

I'm starting to wonder if he will ever become an inside mid. Would love to see him play inside mid in the preseason just to see if he has the 360 awareness. Some blokes are just better when the game is in front of them.

Pretty much all euro wogs are like that.

Vlas is a genuine tough bloodnut. That surfing can only be good for his tank and scary for any sharks in his path.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back