Player Watch #1: Nick Vlastuin

TigerTime88

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
He has had a few niggles along the way but as he gets a nice free run at it he will show his quality. Great game and he did a bit more rebounding, which he has to add to his game given his decision making and ball use. It will mean we are not so reliant on Bachar to run it out.

I am thinking he might not be a mid, but a Corey Enright instead.

Feb 21, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Richmond
He has had a few niggles along the way but as he gets a nice free run at it he will show his quality. Great game and he did a bit more rebounding, which he has to add to his game given his decision making and ball use. It will mean we are not so reliant on Bachar to run it out.

I am thinking he might not be a mid, but a Corey Enright instead.

And play 300 just like Enright......would be happy with that!

The Redemption

Team Captain
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hi all,

Something that has been bothering me through 2015 (ridiculously) is Nick Vlaustin and where he is being played on the ground.

Is he being groomed as a small defender? What happened to midfield time?

Cheers

RememberRoyce

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Watched the 2nd half of the Swans again last night, probably the best I have seen from him. I thought he
wasn't up to the half back interceptor, spoiler and break the lines and hit targets up the ground (without turning it over). Changed my mind now. He was fantastic.

Although if we can develop another one as good there for next year, he will move to midfield more than likely. I have seriously upped my future upper level for this kid.

Hot tigers

All Australian
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Dimma recently alluded to the fact that supporters or outsiders had suggested he play more midfield minutes, however he was tracking wonderfully at HB and would be kept there this year and the immediate going forward..

I actually agree, recruit another A grade Mid and a big bodied couragous HB like Vlas is worth their wait in gold, thinking Hodgy like!!

It's long been my opinion that premiership contenders have two highly rated HBFs.

For a few season's, we've had one, with Houli doing a great job. But, he has been pretty easy to shut down.

I think the load has been spread more evenly this year to the point where I haven't noticed Houli getting shut out of games with a hard tag. Part of that is our wingers being more effective in transitioning the ball from the back line. Part is Hunt, Batchelor and Grimes adding a few more possessions. But the biggest chunk of it is Vlaustin. Loving his work.

IMO, we are a better team with Vlas on the HBF than we are when he plays through the middle.

Hi all,

Something that has been bothering me through 2015 (ridiculously) is Nick Vlaustin and where he is being played on the ground.

Is he being groomed as a small defender? What happened to midfield time?

Cheers
It's mainly to do with his tank. He can play midfield for bursts but then he needs to recover so it reduces his output in other areas.

Picture him more like a Luke Hodge, that's how his development will track and we would be loving if he comes anywhere near Hodge.

Apr 12, 2015
Nathalia Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Leeds United
One of the most underrated players in the AFL for mine. Especially given his age, the roles we've asked him to play, and the way he's performed them.
Don't think he's been underrated at all even the media have been saying he's a future captain of this club.

SpudsLoveChild

Cancelled
May 17, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
49ers
It's mainly to do with his tank. He can play midfield for bursts but then he needs to recover so it reduces his output in other areas.

Picture him more like a Luke Hodge, that's how his development will track and we would be loving if he comes anywhere near Hodge.
Vlaustin the new Hodge!
drool.gif

It's funny how Vloss hasn't looked out of place since his first game in the seniors & has just continued a steady build from there, adding more strings as he goes......

Back