Autopsy 1 point Heart stopper against Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rarely do I agree with Slobbo - but he’s saying “time to move on” and he feels for the umpire. They are carrying on as if they are the only team ever who won’t make the finals. There are 7 others that won’t too. . Put it into perspective- it’s Wednesday and there are bigger things in life to worry about.
They also conveniently forget that if they hadn't have let us get ahead by 40 points, they wouldn't have been hanging on the result of a goal kicked 90 odd seconds before full time. No one to blame but themselves.

Look how well positioned the goal ump is in that footage. Poor bastard has been fed to the wolves but nobody in any official capacity has really acknowledged that he was in the best spot to make the call - and the field umpires must have agreed as they never questioned him.
My point exactly. And there is zero official footage definitively showing he was wrong.

The media should be asking the AFL “what footage led you you declared he’d made a mistake?”

But, y’know, The Boys’ Club etc etc. We get far more accountability from our politicians.

I feel bad for the umpire because we all make mistakes but at the end of the day no one bears any responsibility for this incident except for the umpire. Not only did he see something that wasn't actually there, but he was SO confident in what he'd seen that he didn't call for it to be reviewed. Just a monumental error, but you'd hope that with situations like this people remember it is just a game and also ask themselves if they've ever gotten something wrong in their jobs.
‘Cept we’ve yet to see proof he made any mistake at all.

My point exactly. And there is zero official footage definitively showing he was wrong.

The media should be asking the AFL “what footage led you you declared he’d made a mistake?”

But, y’know, The Boys’ Club etc etc. We get far more accountability from our politicians.
Gil knew exactly what he was doing during his "press conference". He wanted to make others the villain, including us, because he had to protect himself. Good riddance to him. Dillon has a lot of work ahead of him

Exactly, this why I don't believe there is conclusive evidence to say the umpire was wrong and that it's a goal. And this is exactly the umpire's view. So all this hysteria, the umpire copping it from everyone for what exactly? It's not a clear error imo.
Yep, just hysteria. A pile-on.

For all the talk going back to Aristotle lauding the wisdom of the crowd, there’s just as many times where the crowd gets it wrong.

Juan Antonio Samaranch never said “and the winner is Syd-a-ney”.

Darwin never wrote a book entitled “The Origin of the Species”.

Humphrey Bogart never says the words “Play it again, Sam” in Casablanca.

And there is no footage definitively showing the goal ump on Saturday got it wrong.

It’s actually unbelievable that Gill came out the morning after the game to throw the umpire under the bus. Pandering to the people baying for blood rather than taking a more measured approach. And it didn’t help! People were being just as ridiculous after his press conference. Hard to imagine that umpire ever wants to do it again.

It’s actually unbelievable that Gill came out the morning after the game to throw the umpire under the bus. Pandering to the people baying for blood rather than taking a more measured approach. And it didn’t help! People were being just as ridiculous after his press conference. Hard to imagine that umpire ever wants to do it again.
Hard to imagine people want to umpire in general now when one mistake turns you into a pariah

Hard to imagine people want to umpire in general now when one mistake turns you into a pariah

I do wonder if he was stood down for his own protection from the more extreme end of Crows fans...a lot of near-psychotic hatred going on over there.
Personally, I'd like to send him a thank-you card and gifts.

And as Greg Baum (I think) said in the Nine papers the other day, umpires are going to be calling for a review of every single bloody shot on goal now.

Last edited:
I do wonder if he was stood down for his own protection from the more extreme end of Crows fans...a lot of near-psychotic hatred going on over there.
Personally, I'd like to send him a thank-you card and gifts.
I read somewhere that the poor bastard is a school teacher in Adelaide, I'll bet my life he's off now at least till school holidays.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't seen this video posted before. Looks like it clearly hits the post in it in spite of what other videos show. At the least I'm giving the umpire some credit

Yes.
This one looks pretty clear.
Time to reinstate the ump, sack the AFL board and send the Adelaide fans back into camp.

1 will be so glad when this week has finished, I’m a Swans supporter/Member living in Adelaide, on the news every night, I just can’t escape it, when I thought it was easing off, Tommy Mac got off at the tribunal, well no need to say bring on next game😵‍💫😂
You are seeing this all wrong.
Those salty tears are a business opportunity - harvest the salt and send it to the eastern states and you will make a mint.

1 will be so glad when this week has finished, I’m a Swans supporter/Member living in Adelaide, on the news every night, I just can’t escape it, when I thought it was easing off, Tommy Mac got off at the tribunal, well no need to say bring on next game😵‍💫😂
You poor bugger, you and all other SA Swans fans, have my deepest sympathy.

Do you REALLY think they will let it drop this week? Especially as they are certain to beat WC?
I reckon we are going to hear about this for weeks and weeks and weeks...

You poor bugger, you and all other SA Swans fans, have my deepest sympathy.

Do you REALLY think they will let it drop this week? Especially as they are certain to beat WC?
I reckon we are going to hear about this for weeks and weeks and weeks...
It will be decades. And every time we bring up that we're Swans fans.

Agree glad I flew out on Tuesday - it really was overkill. And Then there was the element who said we’d cheated. I really do feel for the goal umpire. There another 7 teams who won’t make the finals either, a bit of perspective is required. Had the roles been reversed, I guess we’d be just as dirty, but for the Swans we've been on the rough end of the pineapple many times that we just go with the flow.

Last edited:
In the last 6 weeks we have been the most accurate team in the competition. On the flip side Adelaide have been the most wasteful in front of goals ranked 18th.

The last quarter typified the issues Adelaide have had even before the Keays non-goal.
It's nice to see the accuracy turn as during the middle parts of the year inaccuracy cost quite a few games. It's so nice to see Hayward and Heeney kick drop punts during their goal kicking in games instead of the Steve J round the corner.

I suspect both forwards copped a serve in match review from coaching staff after the Geelong game as they have seemed to have stopped doing it afterwards.

Good goal kicking wins matches and it's not a surprise that Swans season turned around when their accuracy improved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back