Player Watch #1 - Steven May - All Australian FB

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta give credit to Burgo for this too, knowing how important he is, brilliant strategy, dont tell him sh*t, get him up as well as he could
Yep, if he knows anything he plays more conservative and probably costs us in defence.

Goody saying that he had a 7cm tear in his hamstring on the Sunday footy show and they didn't tell him, got better as the game went on, incredible, his third quarter when the dogs were dominating was ******* good.

Legend!

Love stories like that, Cyrils hammy was also highly suspect in the 2014 gf... risk vs reward taking an injured player into the game.

Steven May played with a 17cm tear in his hamstring he didn’t even know about. Dominated the Dogs spearhead and became a club legend by winning a Premiership and overcoming a 27 CM tear in his hamstring. LEGEND 🍻

Steven May played with a 17cm tear in his hamstring he didn’t even know about. Dominated the Dogs spearhead and became a club legend by winning a Premiership and overcoming a 27 CM tear in his hamstring. LEGEND 🍻

I heard it was 37cm

Don't know if this has been raised yet, but how huge was his mark to intercept a Liberatore kick w/ around 7 minutes to go in the third? Dogs start getting a bit of possession, controlling some football, and he takes that contested grab. We're still 1 point behind at that stage.

Don't know if this has been raised yet, but how huge was his mark to intercept a Liberatore kick w/ around 7 minutes to go in the third? Dogs start getting a bit of possession, controlling some football, and he takes that contested grab. We're still 1 point behind at that stage.
The one he makes then immediately switches to the corridor? Huge moment

The one he makes then immediately switches to the corridor? Huge moment
Yep. Again it won't get remembered as it should bc Gus sprays that kick. If Gus hits a target there it's May's goal and an iconic mark.

Looking back on that third quarter surge we actually could have scored 3-4 more goals IMO. Crazy that we pulled off some truly ridiculous s**t but actually managed to make a few basic slip ups, which is probably to be expected when you're going that ballistic.

Crucial that we get as many years out of May as possible. When Tomlinson is fit get him and Petty to wrestle with the big guys and get May into a Hodge/Birchall/Burgoyne type role. The ease with which Hawkins’ little nudge resulted in a hamstring tear is pretty concerning. Apart from those hammies he seems super fit and obviously is ultra competitive, get the sense that he’s definitely not retiring while he can sniff a flag. Let’s make sure he’s still sniffing them in 4-5 years. Will be an absolute weapon taking smalls every week and being able to zone off and run through the middle of the ground with that kick. I don’t know if the coaches will do this and I feel like May thrives off the task of taking the most dangerous forward but it seems like the obvious play to me. Seems like they were moving in this direction dropping Hibberd for Joel Smith towards the end of the year.

Yeah, absolutely LOVED that mark in the third and then the aggresive switch straight away. Absolutely huge moment.

Especially given on the replay I think his injury stopped him from hitting a few packs that he would have normally - I think both Bont marks where nobody gets a body on him was definitely because May (who was in position to crash it) just can't quite get there.

Also wanted him to dust off the bump and he nailed Hannan with a kind of body check early in the first. Set the tone.

Every Granny has a remarkable injury story to it - May was ours. Dogs had only a handful of marks inside 50 for the entire game.

Just wouldn't have been the same if May wasn't out there, amazing how fast he's become a Melbourne man through and through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Took a decent knee to the ribs from Roarke Smith in the first quarter when he went back with the flight as well.

Last edited:
Still my favorite. It is insanely rare to have your FB be the best kick in the team
I want to see the players do more ‘* it’ s**t like Maysie taking kick outs and going straight down the corridor throughout the game. It’s a waste being reigning premiers and having kicks like May, Bowey, Rivers and Salem in the side if you’re not going to do more of that

I want to see the players do more ‘fu** it’ sh*t like Maysie taking kick outs and going straight down the corridor throughout the game. It’s a waste being reigning premiers and having kicks like May, Bowey, Rivers and Salem in the side if you’re not going to do more of that
Frost vs Hawthorn was amazing

Hmmmm where is demon bhoy gone 🤔
I actually am serious

Hasnt been online since August 22, day after the Geelong comeback game.

So either a terribly pathetic troll..

Or a weak as piss poster who would rather disappear than own his wrong opinions and celebrate a dees flag.

Hmmmm which one 🤪

I actually am serious

Hasnt been online since August 22, day after the Geelong comeback game.

So either a terribly pathetic troll..

Or a weak as piss poster who would rather disappear than own his wrong opinions and celebrate a dees flag.

Hmmmm which one 🤪

Or perhaps he died :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back