Player Watch #1 - Steven May - All Australian FB

Remove this Banner Ad

Posting this here for Lloydy on pumping up May as the AA full back at the end....

At this point, May is surely a lock for AA. Who else at full back? Weitering? Moore? Andrews?

At this point, May is surely a lock for AA. Who else at full back? Weitering? Moore? Andrews?
Andrews is as close as a lock as you will get

Has been awesome and is a media darling

Andrews is as close as a lock as you will get

Has been awesome and is a media darling

Wouldn't surprise me if he s named a back pocket coz of his "versatility"....the AA selectors love doing stuff like that.

Maybe, Three KPD's. May FB, Andrews CHB, Ryan 3rd tall.

Yea, could definitely see that happening....I reckon Collins has been awesome just quietly too . Hope he makes it on the bench if he's not on the ground. But he probably wont, they usually fill that with one ruck and 3 mids or 4 mids.

Actually, they went 4 KPD's last year. Andrews, Grimes, Mcgovern, Stewart. Stewart is basically the same as ryan. So maybe 3 KPD's and ryan or something like that.

Id like to see all of Collins, Ryan, Andrews and May make it this year then since a precedent has been set.

Blicavs is another KPD too that would be stiff to miss. But you could easily put him on the bench as a utility for versatility given he spends some game time on the wing and occasionally the ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absoloutly shocked this guy didnt get into the 40 man AA squad, was a powerhouse down back and certainly saves us in a few games this year.
Appalling oversight. Can understand if he missed the final team but would’ve been the 2nd best player for us this year, just behind Petracca. Gawn and Oliver lucky in comparison.

Appalling oversight. Can understand if he missed the final team but would’ve been the 2nd best player for us this year, just behind Petracca. Gawn and Oliver lucky in comparison.
Wouldn't be suprised if he wins the bnf. I know a lot of players would have been stiff but gee don't know what else he has to do. Will be interesting to see how the backline would be.

I'm not surprised, I doubt selectors watch bugger all games.

I'm just gutted for him, he put in the work and deserved some reward for it. I just hope it motivated him to get even better next year.

Very surprised Oliver got a gig.
Statistically Oliver is right up there, which, as you've correctly pointed out, the selectors probably watch bugger all games, so stats are all they've left to go off.

I saw the headline for the clubs article stating 3 Dees make the squad, and I thought that Clarry was a little stiff, but probably fair enough, didn't even cross my mind that May wouldn't be in the squad.

I'm not selling Clarry short, we saw how Worpel fell off a cliff this year, Wines hasn't been at his best last few years, Dunkley got pushed out of the Dogs first choice rotations once Libba came back and was never as good as Clarry anyway, Lyons/Steele/Adams have never put up Clarry's numbers because they simply aren't as clean or gifted at ground level. Averaging 30+ touches(if minutes adjusted) and 7 clearances for 4 years straight now and still doesn't get any respect, wonder if he starts to get it if we sack Goody.

Clarry deserves it. If I want a clearance late I think I'm taking Oliver over anyone in the competition genuinely. Plus later in the season he added to his game, cleaned his kicking up(which has always been fine technically anyway unlike a Walsh/GWS Treloar), and started to burst more from stoppages. There is more to the game than getting the footy at the coalface(and the Lions loss showed this as they let Clarry get the first touch at stoppages but waited for us to overhandball and pounce on the loose footy), but Oliver has been the best in the league at getting it at the coalface for about 3 years now.

Ultimately, lots of key defenders had great years. I thought May separated himself from Jonas/Grimes/Weitering/Andrews/Collins/Tarrant with his second half of the year. Don't think he lost a 1 on 1 battle all year to be honest. But its not as egregious as Rampe not making the 22 last year whilst Grimes and Stewart made it.

Statistically Oliver is right up there, which, as you've correctly pointed out, the selectors probably watch bugger all games, so stats are all they've left to go off.

I saw the headline for the clubs article stating 3 Dees make the squad, and I thought that Clarry was a little stiff, but probably fair enough, didn't even cross my mind that May wouldn't be in the squad.
Haha I thought exactly the same. Surely the selectors wouldn't be that incompetent.

As impartial as I can be, weitering had a terrific start to the year but probably tailed off as the season went on. Moore has had some terrific games but some s**t.

Grimes is surprising, the second part of the year U thought he was pretty average and was probably more impressed with balta.

But no doubt this is the selectors contributing body of work and including last year or something stupid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back