Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Worse than coming last in the TT, being over weight or drinking while injured is that he was hanging out with Jaksch and Gorringe.

Was he looking for a mentor to show him how to waste hus talent?

If I were Melbourne I'd be telling him to steer clear of those two.
No idea about Jaksch, but heard many stories about Gorringe. Sounds like a real class act! If May is hanging around him, It can't be a good thing.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
No idea about Jaksch, but heard many stories about Gorringe. Sounds like a real class act! If May is hanging around him, It can't be a good thing.
May is best mates with Gorringe.
Probably met Jaksche through Gorringe during his time at Carlton.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
You are also guessing that he didn't train hard then based on people saying he trained hard.

He was picked for the JLT so he clearly had done enough to get fit

A poor time trial, two injuries and now doing a mini pre season would suggest what he thinks is training hard and what is actually hard training are two different things.

I agree with you, the May trade will benefit us but he has a long way to go to understand what AFL standard is on and off the training track.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
A poor time trial, two injuries and now doing a mini pre season would suggest what he thinks is training hard and what is actually hard training are two different things.

I agree with you, the May trade will benefit us but he has a long way to go to understand what AFL standard is on and off the training track.

The injuries are being attributed to his pre season but that's a guess. What about AVB, Hannan, Lewis etc.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
No it doesn't

It says

May was out of shape last year (and implies other suns were as well) under the guidance of Justin Cordy fitness who was formerly rated one of the best.

New fitness guy (Alex Rigy - a gold coast product) who started 2019 at the Suns in his first top job whipped us into shape in preseason 2019.

Steven May turns up to Melbourne 2019 again out of shape.

Rigby was at the Suns, left to go to the Melbourne Rebels for a year, returned to the Suns a couple of years ago and then promoted to their top job this year. Extremely highly rated.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Unlikely Goodwin would say publicly he hasn’t trained hard. From all reports he ran a 7:30-8min time trial which is Park footballer stuff. He may have trained hard, but his version of hard training and what is actually hard training is two different things.

None of this is speculation, he turned up in bad shape, poor time trials, sustained two injuries.

I think he will be a good player for us, but he owes the playing group big time after his first 7-8 months with the club.

Not Drinking whist injured would be a good start.
Goodwin doesn’t tend to mince words. If anything I can find him quite straight. No he wasn’t in great condition in the pre season, but if Goodwin said he worked hard then I tend to believe it. Melbourne also has (had) much higher standards than GC.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
He's not the sports scientist.
It isn't really a conversation it's become an all in pile on and a bunch of over the top crap.

Steven May will improve our team when he is fit, it's a 4 year contract not a 7 week one
This.

He has plenty of time to get into good condition and whilst he hasn’t been in great shape at training he did work hard during the PS and did get fit.

I am pretty sure if May fails to fulfill his obligations that the MFC aren’t going to keep him around, Goodwin isn’t the type to just keep people around who aren’t pulling their weight. Jack Watts is an example.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
What’s the time trial distance? One lap of the Tan?

2km. So they do 4-5 laps around Gosches paddock oval where they train
The injuries are being attributed to his pre season but that's a guess. What about AVB, Hannan, Lewis etc.

Lewis is getting old - he has never really had injuries in his career
AVB bad luck - no ones ever questioned his work rate
Hannan - first time he has had a bad injury

You could say my answers are all convenient, but no one has questioned the fitness/work rate of those players. There is big questions marks on May. After this pre season and his latest “incident” I hope the penny drops. If he gets in the right frame of mind he will be a valuable player for us.

As I said previously his actions now will speak louder than words.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne

Well that doesn’t surprise me. GC have been a basket case up until showing better signs this year. They have had sub par standards. May would be learning about that the hard way, and it’ll take some time and a few whacks in the Victorian fish bowl to get him used to it all here.

Has anyone had a skinful of Paul Roos lately? The bloke has really bought into the extreme footy commentator narrative of making really outlandish comments to just gather attention.

According to Roos, football is not the priority of May. I mean, is Roos in the inner sanctum anymore or just talking **** on his little footy show? Anyway I thought he was ******* off to Hawaii post career?

It seems the media is just too attractive. Talk **** and get paid seriously well.
Or maybe he's right? No need to drink all the coolaid the club feeds you. I'll believe footy is a priority for May when he strings some quality games together and runs a decent time trial.

Well that doesn’t surprise me. GC have been a basket case up until showing better signs this year. They have had sub par standards. May would be learning about that the hard way, and it’ll take some time and a few whacks in the Victorian fish bowl to get him used to it all here.
May was the captain at Gold Coast, and started his career learning from Gary Ablett Junior. He's definitely seen what good standards look like.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Or maybe he's right? No need to drink all the coolaid the club feeds you. I'll believe footy is a priority for May when he strings some quality games together and runs a decent time trial.

So don't believe club but do believe 3 year removed ex coach.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
2km. So they do 4-5 laps around Gosches paddock oval where they train

Lewis is getting old - he has never really had injuries in his career
AVB bad luck - no ones ever questioned his work rate
Hannan - first time he has had a bad injury

You could say my answers are all convenient, but no one has questioned the fitness/work rate of those players. There is big questions marks on May. After this pre season and his latest “incident” I hope the penny drops. If he gets in the right frame of mind he will be a valuable player for us.

As I said previously his actions now will speak louder than words.
Why would Melbourne pick him if he wasn’t fit? Seriously? He was fit, got injured against Geelong. It is bad luck mate.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
This.

He has plenty of time to get into good condition and whilst he hasn’t been in great shape at training he did work hard during the PS and did get fit.

I am pretty sure if May fails to fulfill his obligations that the MFC aren’t going to keep him around, Goodwin isn’t the type to just keep people around who aren’t pulling their weight. Jack Watts is an example.

I will have one more reply because we are going round in circles. And I don’t disagree with you or Topkent May will be a player for us.

But if he has been working hard in pre season why isn’t he in great shape? The two injuries could be coincidence/bad luck like other players but it’s hard to argue when he comes back in bad shape, that he magically flicks a switch to become a hard trainer. He admitted the extra load this pre season triggered his hammy twinge, even more reason to present yourself in good condition come day one of pre season. Prepare yourself for the hard work ahead. He shouldn’t be getting fit in May he should
Be fit in February.

He also must have been the softest player of all time. Every week he begs for suspensions and complains about the niggle. I literally can't stand listening to him about anything anymore
Hearing you call a legendary 80s/90s footballer soft just doesn't compute.

This is literally all conjecture. You're just choosing to believe one side over another.

Why would Melbourne pick him if he wasn’t fit? Seriously? He was fit, got injured against Geelong. It is bad luck mate.
My head is about to explode. You campaigners spend all season saying we're picking unfit players and that the list is underdone, and then say May must have been fit if he was picked.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Roos saying that is just conjecture. Conjecture and unsubstantiated opinion.

May rocked up unfit. He worked hard enough to get picked in the JLT. He played against Geelong and got injured. He got caught having a beer when in rehab.

So from all that we can conclude footy isn’t his priority?

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Hearing you call a legendary 80s/90s footballer soft just doesn't compute.

This is literally all conjecture. You're just choosing to believe one side over another.

Throwing in the towel on a deal less than 10% of the way through is soft like some of you guys.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!

Because melbourne coaching staff believed they could get him into shape.

You are right could of been bad luck, but with all the talk of his lack of shape coming into pre season, doing a hamstring on the camp it adds up to him not being fit enough

So don't believe club but do believe 3 year removed ex coach.
Exactly, because the club has a vested interested in May being a success and all PR will be directed to that. The club telling porky pies regarding the fitness of players can't be a surprise to you surely? Roos may or may not know what he's on about regarding May, but odds are that he received mail that he's confident in given he rarely, if ever, criticises Melbourne players.

Throwing in the towel on a deal less than 10% of the way through is soft like some of you guys.
Not throwing in the towel at all! I'll just believe it when I see it.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
May was the captain at Gold Coast, and started his career learning from Gary Ablett Junior. He's definitely seen what good standards look like.
Mate Ablett didn’t give a * about GC, if you listen to people who tell a story or two then GAJ was pretty much just all about GAJ.

Gold Coast picked the wrong high profile player to recruit. Ablett isn’t a leader. It’s all the GAJ show. Couple him with Campbell Brown and it’s not a good recipe.

Have a look at GWS as a comparable team and who they picked up as mature age players. Half the talent of Ablett but twice the integrity.

Goodwin said he turned up in poor condition but trained very hard.
What else was he going to say? "He's turned up unfit and he still won't stop necking four and twenties". Even admitting he turned up unfit is a massive thing.

Back