Player Watch #1 - Steven May - All Australian FB

Remove this Banner Ad

I will have one more reply because we are going round in circles. And I don’t disagree with you or Topkent May will be a player for us.

But if he has been working hard in pre season why isn’t he in great shape? The two injuries could be coincidence/bad luck like other players but it’s hard to argue when he comes back in bad shape, that he magically flicks a switch to become a hard trainer. He admitted the extra load this pre season triggered his hammy twinge, even more reason to present yourself in good condition come day one of pre season. Prepare yourself for the hard work ahead. He shouldn’t be getting fit in May he should
Be fit in February.
Ok so the extra load may have caused him to get injured. His fault the standards up North were poor?

Mate Ablett didn’t give a **** about GC, if you listen to people who tell a story or two then GAJ was pretty much just all about GAJ.

Gold Coast picked the wrong high profile player to recruit. Ablett isn’t a leader. It’s all the GAJ show. Couple him with Campbell Brown and it’s not a good recipe.

Have a look at GWS as a comparable team and who they picked up as mature age players. Half the talent of Ablett but twice the integrity.
I agree, but Ablett has the best training standards you'll see. 35 years old, injury riddled, still a gun.

My head is about to explode. You campaigners spend all season saying we're picking unfit players and that the list is underdone, and then say May must have been fit if he was picked.
He wasn’t injured when he was picked against Geelong, he GOT injured against Geelong. Just because you’re carrying a few doesn’t mean you’re injured.

Ok so the extra load may have caused him to get injured. His fault the standards up North were poor?

No, but still his fault for being in poor condition come day one of pre season.

He started behind the 8 ball, was chasing his tail regardless of how hard he worked and in all likeliness lead to his first hamstring injury. He had to rehab for 3-4 weeks so his already low base of fitness would of dropped off. He was shoe horned into the side round 2 after a bad loss and got injured again.

I am not denying your point has some merit and him rocking up a certain way isn’t ideal, but I think we just give the guy the benefit of getting himself up and about now.

100% agree. From day one I’ve backed the May deal. The drinking issue is only a big deal because the media made it into a story on the back of the poor pre season story.

He can’t go back and change his decisions, let’s deal with what we have in front of us. I’m glad they didn’t give him a whack while he is down and sounds like they are giving him a collective cuddle.

I just hope the penny has dropped, his actions do the talking over the next 6 weeks. And I firmly believe he will be a player for us.

So May finally gets to leave GCS the campaigner would be over the moon spends time in the NT then comes back to Melbourne still happy as * he finally gets to Melbourne enjoys himself settling in. Puts on a bit of pudding. So ******* what if you campaigners thought we picked up some elite trainer then thats your fault. Blokes a lad and Roos is right footy wouldnt have been his priority but saying cause he was having a couple of pints on a sunday is why is laughable. campaigners saying i told you so already * me deadset ******* morons. Give me a preseason without Misson and a settled in May first before i write him off

Last edited:
But he is coming back from a groin, running straight lines no issue. But during a game when you have to twist and turn any direction you can nurse a groin injury. But I suspect if he had a good pre season and was fit heading into round 1 and then got injured he would be back in the team already.

Having been on the receiving end of a high adductor tear (albeit a really bad one which I don't think is the case with May) I can confirm that there are issues running in straight lines. Took me about 6 months before I could get to a sprint.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having been on the receiving end of a high adductor tear (albeit a really bad one which I don't think is the case with May) I can confirm that there are issues running in straight lines. Took me about 6 months before I could get to a sprint.
Did you practice sprinting to the bar? But watch out, Benny the Hawk might be there waiting to knock your beer away

But he is coming back from a groin, running straight lines no issue. But during a game when you have to twist and turn any direction you can nurse a groin injury. But I suspect if he had a good pre season and was fit heading into round 1 and then got injured he would be back in the team already.
You can’t just assume running in straight lines is no issue.... that’s just ridiculous mate

Did you practice sprinting to the bar? But watch out, Benny the Hawk might be there waiting to knock your beer away

Maybe my drinking problem is the reason it took that long to heal :eek:

So May finally gets to leave GCS the campaigner would be over the moon spends time in the NT then comes back to Melbourne still happy as **** he finally gets to Melbourne enjoys himself settling in. Puts on a bit of pudding. So ******* what if you campaigners thought we picked up some elite trainer then thats your fault. Blokes a lad and Roos is right footy wouldnt have been his priority but saying cause he was having a couple of pints on a sunday is why is laughable. campaigners saying i told you so already **** me deadset ******* morons. Give me a preseason without Misson and a settled in May first before i write him off
End thread.... :)

Have you seen Benny the hawk on hawk tv? I won’t post it because it’s not appropriate apparently but it’s a corker.
Nah I haven't? DM?

Google it...

Edit: never mind I get it. Referring to the bloke who got punched at the game.

Either of these? Or are you referring to Hawthorns hawkstv?

1557456227005.png

Last edited:
Rigby was at the Suns, left to go to the Melbourne Rebels for a year, returned to the Suns a couple of years ago and then promoted to their top job this year. Extremely highly rated.

Yes, when I say it was his first year at the suns I meant in the top job - keeping it simple.

Didn’t realise he had a reputation. Home grown gold coaster. Son of the suns team doctor in the early years - I was a bit worried it was a nepotistic hiring.

Wish Steven the best. Was one of my favourite players with some of the bumps he puts on and marks he takes.

Needs to learn to pull his head in though.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You can’t just assume running in straight lines is no issue.... that’s just ridiculous mate

May was seen on TV running laps, so he is obviously at a stage were he can run in a predicted manner without issue. That doesn't mean he is fit enough to play a game where he has to move in a an unknown direction at any moment.

So it is pretty safe to assume, running straight lines for Steven May right now there is no issues because we've all seen it on TV.

May was seen on TV running laps, so he is obviously at a stage were he can run in a predicted manner without issue. That doesn't mean he is fit enough to play a game where he has to move in a an unknown direction at any moment.

So it is pretty safe to assume, running straight lines for Steven May right now there is no issues because we've all seen it on TV.

I probably didn't explain properly.

With my groin I was jogging 4 weeks after but anything high impact was out of the question for quite a while, such as directional change as you mentioned but also including taking off to sprint (even in a straight line). About 4 months in I could build up to a fast run from a slow start. But took 6 months for me to be able to launch from standing start into a sprint without discomfort.

I have ****ed hips from footy which made my recovery time longer than normal but my point was running in a straight line is still a major hurdle with a groin.

I didn't see what sort of speed he was running at but anything medium to low pace doesn't necessarily indicate he is close to match fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back