Player Watch #1 GigaChad Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

chad-warner-of-the-swans-trains-during-a-sydney-swans-afl-training-picture-id1251467315

Chad Warner
When the Sydney Swans swept up Chad Warner with pick 39 at the 2019 AFL Draft, they secured a youngster with an insatiable appetite for the contest. Warner attacks the ball and opponents with aggression and is relishing calling midfield bulls Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker his teammates at the Swans. Warner impressed for Western Australia in the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 18.2 touches (50 per cent contested), 3.2 clearances and 6.8 tackles per game. He also tallied an average of 27.1 disposals, 6.4 clearances and 7.4 tackles per match at Colts level for East Fremantle in 2019. He earned his AFL debut against Richmond in Round 6 of the 2020 season, recording eight disposals and two tackles.

Chad Warner
DOB: 19 May 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #39, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Willetton (WA)/Aquinas College (WA)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
The Chad is a beast. Goes a million miles an hour and has the ability to pull it off. But he has come like a steam train this season - he is unbelievable good and a hard nut.

Fix that hair and he will be amazing hahaha!

I kinda think his hair is part of the package. Imagine how annoying it is to other teams to see a kid who literally has a haircut that his mum gave him, tearing them to shreds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Cal Twomey noted in his 2019 Phantom Draft that Norf were interested in The Chad.

Norf had picks 31, 34 & 35 in said draft. They didn’t take The Chad with any of them.

Instead, the Swans took The Chad at pick 39.

If you ever need a laugh, you need look no further than Norf.
They are the gift that keeps on giving.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Certainly the Swans putting work into the other parts of his game (outside mid, forward craft) is paying off. Unlike some I thought it was less an issue of him being out of position last year as it was him just not being ready.

Would make an account of him anywhere on the field in 2021. He adds something different to our midfield mix.

Astute recruiting and superb development.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I think this kid really shuts some people up about how we develop our kids.
He came into the system with only contested possessions and tackling as his strengths. Since becoming a Swan, and being played in different areas, he has added the ability to play on the outside (see his first goal) and the ability to burst from the pack (see second goal). He's also added a very agile turn in general play.
Very impressed, the Swannies would have seen the potential and specifically developed that potential.

TheWhiteRhino

Premiership Player
Apr 24, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney
My expectations have been blown away already. After seeing him play a few times last season, I was a little unconvinced, but knew he was young and hoped he could provide some midfield depth.

Wow, has he shown me. He looks to have every bit the potential of Rowbottom to lead our midfield for the next 10 years. Unbelievably exciting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a nephew who played down at Aquinas - reckons the Chad has two younger brothers who are even better.

It could be a Chad-dynasty.
Their Mum, a hairdresser has not got to his brother's hair, yet :)

Tesla Tenet

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Corey Warner 17, 182cm, 74 kg

2020 Colts Final wrap-up

#3 Corey Warner
The younger brother of 2019 Swans draftee Chad Warner proved he is a great prospect for the 2021 draft, as the young midfielder was arguably best on ground in an impressive display, playing forward and on the wing. Playing most of the year with his school team Aquinas, he has come into the East Fremantle Colts team at a timely time and he was pivotal in their victory over West Perth. He set the scene early with a nice gather and snap goal and he just looked dangerous for the whole quarter, looking clean and sharp in the wet conditions. He played the rest of the first half with plenty of enthusiasm, moving the ball quickly and tackling hard. His best highlight, however, came in the third quarter when he executed a Dusty Martin-like don’t argue which was impressive for his size. He also laid a great tackle in the same quarter winning the free kick in defence. Warner was impressive with his skill, tenacity, and eagerness to get involved all day. He finished the game with 24 disposals, 4 tackles and a goal

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
Did their parents watch a lot of American soaps growing up? Chad and Corey. Is the next one Jake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tesla Tenet

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
This is a little bit negative, and The Chad was flying, but it was a touch of ZJ, blazing away.

Kicked the first but the next one landed near the point post.

Both times Paps (or other player maybe Wicks in 2nd one) was in a good position and free and ignored. I accept he is a 5 gamer and its all good and he will be a better player each year.

cda08350b7b0f87c9ed6bf8e91f62c17.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back