Player Watch #1 GigaChad Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

chad-warner-of-the-swans-trains-during-a-sydney-swans-afl-training-picture-id1251467315

Chad Warner
When the Sydney Swans swept up Chad Warner with pick 39 at the 2019 AFL Draft, they secured a youngster with an insatiable appetite for the contest. Warner attacks the ball and opponents with aggression and is relishing calling midfield bulls Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker his teammates at the Swans. Warner impressed for Western Australia in the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 18.2 touches (50 per cent contested), 3.2 clearances and 6.8 tackles per game. He also tallied an average of 27.1 disposals, 6.4 clearances and 7.4 tackles per match at Colts level for East Fremantle in 2019. He earned his AFL debut against Richmond in Round 6 of the 2020 season, recording eight disposals and two tackles.

Chad Warner
DOB: 19 May 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #39, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Willetton (WA)/Aquinas College (WA)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

JZ_Skitzo

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Seahawks
Can Chad and Logan be bffs and just be happy in Sydney forever because I mean... Perth, really?

I think the fact that they're in a side filled with players of the same/similar age will help. There's what, 6/7 of them playing seniors that are 21 or younger? I think that will help keep them here.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
Chad comes from good stock. His mum baked for the team when we went into the Hub over in WA last year.

That is so nice. He seems to have a good family and is just the sort of kid that epitomises what this team stands for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't see that problem happening with Warner. I think the club has tried to develop Warner's game, and part of that is through playing different roles. He did not show the kind of running patterns or evasiveness he showed on the weekend (and last weekend) as a junior. I watched him many times when he played for the Sharks. But he was so unremarkable (and I don't mean that in a negative way, just that he never caught the eye), that I didn't even noticed I'd watched him every week until he was drafted. I said "Who?", because he was that anonymous to me. Clearly the club thought he had the bones of a good player but wanted to add more strings to his bow to make him more damaging. Playing on the outside can teach you running patterns, playing as a pressure forward can teach you about applying and evading pressure.

I think the club did the same with Rowbottom. I don't think he won a single uncontested possession, nor kicked a goal in the entire two years I watched him as a junior. Now he regularly creates and uses the space well, and is one of our more regular goal-kicking midfielders. His first year in the NEAFL and senior team playing as a half forward/wing would've helped him learn not every possession has to be so hard-fought.

I agree that it becomes a problem if these lessons turn into multiple-year apprenticeships that never end. But that doesn't appear to be the case here. I think it's just excellent coaching.
How could you have watched both Rowbottom and Warner as juniors? They come from different states. Chad is from WA and Rowie is from Victoria.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

How could you have watched both Rowbottom and Warner as juniors? They come from different states. Chad is from WA and Rowie is from Victoria.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Warner played for the Sharks, who I regularly watch in the WAFL (in person). Rowbottom played for the Chargers, who I (used to) regularly watch in the NAB League (on Youtube.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mcs095

All Australian
Sep 12, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Only player who can look himself in the mirror. Lock for the rising star now if we play like that Gulden won't get any chance to show his wares and Warner will carry our team on his back.

His effort is unquestionable. And while I love his willingness to take the game on, I actually thought he unfortunately had little genuine influence on the contest yesterday - primarily because his achilles heel is that his style is liable to turnovers of the ball (Rowbottom was much the same as well yesterday for mine.)

He ended up running at less than 50% Disposal Efficiency yesterday. Now stats aren't everything, and when the team is playing well it is less of an impact overall, given the pressure upfield is likely to alleviate the impact. But when a team is down like, we need players that are breaking the lines to actually hit targets more often than not.

None of that is meant to be criticism - but his obvious area for improvement over time is his ball use and efficiency. Get that right and he will be an absolute ripper.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Continues to blow me away. Didn't see coming how offensively dangerous he'd be. I thought at his most optimal he'd be a Sam Powell-Pepper kind of bowling ball who bounced from contest to contest but wouldn't be a real threat with the ball. But he continues to show how good he is forward of centre and his explosive movements with ball in hand are so valuable. There have been times over the last 3 weeks when we haven't been as dominant where his efforts and enthusiasm have been helping to keep us in the game. He seems to have a really consistent mindset, doesn't drop his bundle. Love him.

Continues to blow me away. Didn't see coming how offensively dangerous he'd be. I thought at his most optimal he'd be a Sam Powell-Pepper kind of bowling ball who bounced from contest to contest but wouldn't be a real threat with the ball. But he continues to show how good he is forward of centre and his explosive movements with ball in hand are so valuable. There have been times over the last 3 weeks when we haven't been as dominant where his efforts and enthusiasm have been helping to keep us in the game. He seems to have a really consistent mindset, doesn't drop his bundle. Love him.
His goal was the exact moment that sparked us to fight back. Brought the crowd right into it. He's a gun, nice to have another goal kicking mid

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
He's just trailing off a little in his impact atm I think. Not roasting him or saying he should be dropped whatsoever but I think his last month has been noticeably quieter than his first 2 months. Probably a mixture of playing a little more wing/HF than in the guts of the midfield. Rowbottom, Kennedy, Mills, and Parker are the first choice inside mids now and Warner is getting only minimal inside minutes atm so he's learning a bit on the fly - plus he's still only 13 games into his career.

Nevertheless, his physicality and athleticism in tight confines are still so much fun to watch. Tracking to be quite something when he's entered his physical prime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back