Player Watch #1 GigaChad Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

chad-warner-of-the-swans-trains-during-a-sydney-swans-afl-training-picture-id1251467315

Chad Warner
When the Sydney Swans swept up Chad Warner with pick 39 at the 2019 AFL Draft, they secured a youngster with an insatiable appetite for the contest. Warner attacks the ball and opponents with aggression and is relishing calling midfield bulls Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker his teammates at the Swans. Warner impressed for Western Australia in the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 18.2 touches (50 per cent contested), 3.2 clearances and 6.8 tackles per game. He also tallied an average of 27.1 disposals, 6.4 clearances and 7.4 tackles per match at Colts level for East Fremantle in 2019. He earned his AFL debut against Richmond in Round 6 of the 2020 season, recording eight disposals and two tackles.

Chad Warner
DOB: 19 May 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #39, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Willetton (WA)/Aquinas College (WA)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Every week he shows a glimps of the power and speed he possesses. His form has tailored off a little but not to the point he doesn’t deserve his spot. Really excited by this kid. He could be anything
His handball to Paps rather than a hack to the square was a sign of how far his footy nous has come. Had time and space for either. The handball was a bullet right on target. Coaches would be delighted.

His handball to Paps rather than a hack to the square was a sign of how far his footy nous has come. Had time and space for either. The handball was a bullet right on target. Coaches would be delighted.
I also like his precise kicking in general play when going forward, where it just gets over the top of defenders straight to a team mate. Did it a few times on Sunday even when playing on straight away.

Every week he shows a glimps of the power and speed he possesses. His form has tailored off a little but not to the point he doesn’t deserve his spot. Really excited by this kid. He could be anything

and balance! it's amazing how often he cops a knock, or a solid tackle, and keeps his feet ... in fact, not just keeps his feet but maintains momentum ... really is uncanny ... a rare and valuable skill/ability in football ... becoming a real favourite

Reckon there might be a few junior swans fans wanting a number 1 on their guernseys now... selling candy... running to 50 and effortlessly nudging it thru the big sticks.
Gotta say the kid has a beautiful straight kick to go with his other talents.

I pretend I'm James Rose thank you very much.

I quite liked Rose and reckon he'll be doing OK in second tier footy. Tried real hard towards the end especially.
Absolutely no doubt that Chad is already a significant trade up in only his second year. Has taken all his existing good points, improved them and added other weapons. Get the feeling he is very coachable.
Surely must be well in the running for most improved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i have been watching a lot of replays of the Swans games this year.
Highlights for me are the start of the year games with the debuts of Campbell, Gulden, McDonald and also Warner and Wicks with less than a handful of games. 5 players with a total of less than 10 games.
What really stands out to me is that late in the season without Warner how the side really missed him.
In the mids he seemed to be everywhere. That link man. Hits hard too.
Another preseason under his belt. The anticipation....................

Last edited:
i have been watching a lot of replays of the Swans games this year.
Highlights for me are the start of the year games with the debuts of Campbell, Gulden, McDonald and also Warner and Wicks with less than a handful of games. 5 players with a total of less than 10 games.
What really stands out to me is that late in the season without Warner how the side really missed him.
In the mids he seemed to be everywhere. That link man. Hits hard too.
Another preseason under his belt. The anticipation....................
Has a great move of propelling himself into the opposite direction off the chest of an opponent which leaves the opponent with no forward balance to chase. Don’t care if he gets caught a few times if he keeps doing it he will be our big drive into the forward line.

Has a great move of propelling himself into the opposite direction off the chest of an opponent which leaves the opponent with no forward balance to chase. Don’t care if he gets caught a few times if he keeps doing it he will be our big drive into the forward line.
Hi ability to back out of a pack at speed is amazing.

Chad Warner alert

I was very impressed by his performance in the mids v Kangas. Interested to see how the return of Mills impacts on his opportunities in the mids. He's got that burst of explosiveness and goal scoring ability which I love.

I was very impressed by his performance in the mids v Kangas. Interested to see how the return of Mills impacts on his opportunities in the mids. He's got that burst of explosiveness and goal scoring ability which I love.

What I call burst mids are worth their weight in gold.

He is everywhere. Everywhere that is most important. He attacks players too. More important is he seems to get to positions to get the loose ball or bump a guy to get it.
He is the next Iron Man Parker. But as with evolution, I think Warner will exceed Parker. He has more pace. He is sneakier. He hits like a guided bomb. But other than that, he is the same. Sydney missed Warner last week. He is the glue and the hardness in the midfield.

He is everywhere. Everywhere that is most important. He attacks players too. More important is he seems to get to positions to get the loose ball or bump a guy to get it.
He is the next Iron Man Parker. But as with evolution, I think Warner will exceed Parker. He has more pace. He is sneakier. He hits like a guided bomb. But other than that, he is the same. Sydney missed Warner last week. He is the glue and the hardness in the midfield.
Going to be real interesting to see how he deals with a hard tag. I'm sure that's going to be on the horizon shortly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back