Player Watch #1 - Jesse Hogan - traded to Freo - #fistedforever

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that The Saints and The Dees have a bit of a rivalry going on at the moment, a healthy one I'd like to think, but that aside, just came in here to wish your boy luck. Is an absolute beast of a player, and will be for many years to come once he beats this. Hope that he's back ASAP, ripping teams to shreads. Will only say this once (well I was saying it when ypu were playing Hawthorn, but that didnt go too well) Carn The Dees

All the best Jesse Hogan.

Good luck with the treatment and recovery. I'm sure it'll go well.:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Fingers crossed he'll be back to help continue our massive winning streak against you guys in the next season or two. No sympathy for the rest of youse this weekend either.:p
He'll see you in Hobart ;)

Was there actually any illness that prevented him from playing on Saturday then? Or was he made aware of the diagnosis last week, and that news is what prevented him from playing?
Reported it to club doc Tuesday, got tested and found out Thursday. Didn't play because of that.

Serious question for past sufferers or anyone in the know...

What does it do to the status of your plums? Do you have to get sperm frozen if you're undergoing chemo and want kids later?
It may cause infertility, it just depends on far it has progressed. After treatment you can get your sperm frozen, if you decide. The recovery rate for testicular cancer now is close to 100%.Jesse should make a full recovery and so young that a great career is in front of him. The one thing I would doubt is that he is playing football in 4-8 weeks. He has already lost his father this year and along with the treatment, there is more important things to consider than playing football.

Terrible news.
Sam Rowe had the same thing, it was found early and has made a full recovery and came back to footy.
I am am sure he will be fine.
All the best to him.

What does it do to the status of your plums? Do you have to get sperm frozen if you're undergoing chemo and want kids later?
If the other testis is normal and chemo isn't needed then getting sperm frozen is optional (there is an annual cost to the facility to maintain storage). If he undergoes chemotherapy for stage 1 seminoma it is to lower the relapse rate of the cancer. Sperm storage is recommended then.

Stage 1 seminoma has an approximate relapse rate of 12% but there are risk factors that are looked for under the microscope which, if present, can increase the relapse rate to over 32%. A single dose of carboplatin chemotherapy can drop the relapse rate to around 3-5%.

It's usually a joint decision between the oncologist and patient on the risks and benefits of adding chemo for stage 1 (meaning not spread elsewhere) seminoma. The microscope findings will be important, as there are also non seminoma testicular cancers that have different treatment and outcome.

Happy to take PM questions.

God, absolutely shocked by the news.
My deepest wishes for Hoges and the club/supporters who I know who will be 100% behind him.
Stay strong guys, as a Hawks fan and what we went through the last couple, its bloody tough.... All the best moving forward.

Terrible news for the big fella

He can't take a trick this year

I hope he just takes the time off he needs to get himself fit and healthy (mentally and physically) before he considers footy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And told the playing group Friday apparently.
I don't like the idea of playing groups trying to win for someone else (ie after a death) but gee I reckon a bit of that desperation we showed on Saturday was in Jesse's honour

I had one plum removed and some sperm frozen just in case but most of the time unless you get chemo which can effect the sperm count you can have kids as per normal as the other plum compensates for the missing one.

It may cause infertility, it just depends on far it has progressed. After treatment you can get your sperm frozen, if you decide. The recovery rate for testicular cancer now is close to 100%.Jesse should make a full recovery and so young that a great career is in front of him. The one thing I would doubt is that he is playing football in 4-8 weeks. He has already lost his father this year and along with the treatment, there is more important things to consider than playing football.
I was told not to do anything heavy for 4 to 6 weeks in case of getting a hernia from the incision area.

Good luck to the young fella. I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery. Difficult times for him and his family given their recent tribulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back