Player Watch #1 - Jesse Hogan - traded to Freo - #fistedforever

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Topkent is creating a mountain of terrible Hogan opinions, someone should make a coffee table book out of them at some point.

I will, itll give everyone a reference point in the future when they see I'm right.

I got slayed on this board in 2014 for saying I didnt think Dom Tyson was a very good kick and everyone said bullshit he was a future brownlow medallist etc. Now everyone is on board with it :thumbsu:

Not contested, he times his run a jump at the footy well but he doesnt get any seperation with his body work when he is standing still. Fantastic mark is just wrong, Wayne Carey was fantastic, Stewey Loewe, Paul Salmon etc. Hogan is ok.
Defenders have worked out that if you engage him in body strength it nullifies him.

He hasn't had the same form this year but in his first two years he had some great contested marking numbers. He ranked 17th last year for contested marking and 3rd in his first year for contested marking. Even if you look at his first game against the Saints this year before his life started to fall apart he took 4 contested marks for the day.

You are putting far too much stock into his recent form especially when he's had one of the most emotionally and medically disrupted seasons of any player ever. At his best he is one of the best contested marks in the comp.

He hasn't had the same form this year but in his first two years he had some great contested marking numbers. He ranked 17th last year for contested marking and 3rd in his first year for contested marking. Even if you look at his first game against the Saints this year before his life started to fall apart he took 4 contested marks for the day.

You are putting far too much stock into his recent form especially when he's had one of the most emotionally and medically disrupted seasons of any player ever. At his best he is one of the best contested marks in the comp.
Yep was a dominate contested marker.

Gets double teamed a bit more now though.

I will, itll give everyone a reference point in the future when they see I'm right.

I got slayed on this board in 2014 for saying I didnt think Dom Tyson was a very good kick and everyone said bullshit he was a future brownlow medallist etc. Now everyone is on board with it :thumbsu:

But you consistently downplay Tyson's ability and not many agree with that. I never thought of him as a future Brownlow Medallist but I did think, and still do, of him as a potential key member of a premiership winning midfield

Until that time I'll just post videos of Hogan highlight reels which demonstrate some of his sensational contested marking.

But you consistently downplay Tyson's ability and not many agree with that. I never thought of him as a future Brownlow Medallist but I did think, and still do, of him as a potential key member of a premiership winning midfield

I dont downplay his ability, I downplay his value as a clearance midfielder who cant kick when we already have a team of clearance players.

That ranking doenst mean anything, a percentage of contests won is a better representation not pure numbers because we direct a shitload of kicks towards him. Like I said defenders have done their home work on him and his body work isnt as effective as his first season. Its just an observation but I understand that on this board its only ok to belt Wagner Tyson and Melksham or else people start getting defensive

Anyway im talking contests deep inside the 50 against the oppos best defender I never said anything about his ability to mark it around the ground.

I dont downplay his ability, I downplay his value as a clearance midfielder who cant kick when we already have a team of clearance players.

That ranking doenst mean anything, a percentage of contests won is a better representation not pure numbers because we direct a shitload of kicks towards him. Like I said defenders have done their home work on him and his body work isnt as effective as his first season. Its just an observation but I understand that on this board its only ok to belt Wagner Tyson and Melksham or else people start getting defensive

Anyway im talking contests deep inside the 50 against the oppos best defender I never said anything about his ability to mark it around the ground.
Who's getting defensive? You have your opinion I disagree with it.

I loved that hit up from Tyson in the 3rd with hogan leading straight up at him. Hogan can't be a one trick pony, he can't always lead up at the footy nor can he always try and get out the back either way it's easy to defend. I think yesterday he found the perfect mix.

Loved Hogans work once the ball hit the deck more than anything else yesterday. Also that contest where he ran right through the port defender and finally got some luck from the umpires was beautiful

I think what Topkent is trying to say is now clubs have realised Hogan is a damn good footballer they don't let him have any space and he is usually 1v2. He isn't like a Tom Lynch, Daniher or Ben Brown who are all about two inches taller and take the ball at the highest point so he struggles in that situation.

Is a good one on one player who times his jump very well and has excellent mobility (A lot of defenders have a turning circle twice the size of Hogans), just isn't a big pack marking player. I also think sometimes his inability to kick a 50m set shot makes him not want to lead up too far but when he swallows his pride and does it anyway that is when he plays his best footy.

Thought he was very good yesterday, he is like a cat at ground level and has excellent disposal by hand and foot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Until that time I'll just post videos of Hogan highlight reels which demonstrate some of his sensational contested marking.

Good work. It's incredible the diff between him early in his career where he recklessly attacked contests and won vs now where he hesitates. I think part of that is that he gets way more attention now as the ball is coming through the midfield so he can't position himself as well which frustrates him.

He also was super accurate and would dob em from tight angles. Never would have missed from 10m out in front. It's almost as if he's had lots of external bullshit on his mind or something.

His game v port was a good building block and hopefully his performances increase toward finals as well as the teams.

Good work. It's incredible the diff between him early in his career where he recklessly attacked contests and won vs now where he hesitates. I think part of that is that he gets way more attention now as the ball is coming through the midfield so he can't position himself as well which frustrates him.

He also was super accurate and would dob em from tight angles. Never would have missed from 10m out in front. It's almost as if he's had lots of external bullshit on his mind or something.

His game v port was a good building block and hopefully his performances increase toward finals as well as the teams.

Once you miss a couple it's all a mental battle. His goalkicking would have nothing to do with his off field IMO. What would was greats like Schwarz and Dunstall saying he had a flawed goal kicking action.

Once you miss a couple it's all a mental battle. His goalkicking would have nothing to do with his off field IMO. What would was greats like Schwarz and Dunstall saying he had a flawed goal kicking action.

Eh I reckon goalkicking is all mental. He was dobbing them from the boundary on debut eg Anzac Eve. Once he's back to his best we'll see if he can straighten up in front of goal or the jitters remain.

44.19 in 2015 isn't bad. Remember when I think Carey said he had "swag"? (Please forgive me for using that term). Right now he looks like he is trying to find himself again. Once he tegains confidence and remembers how good he is he'll * teams up.

*edit: so yep sorry we agree it's mental but IMO the confidence he has lost from time off etc. is related

Eh I reckon goalkicking is all mental. He was dobbing them from the boundary on debut eg Anzac Eve. Once he's back to his best we'll see if he can straighten up in front of goal or the jitters remain.

44.19 in 2015 isn't bad. Remember when I think Carey said he had "swag"? (Please forgive me for using that term). Right now he looks like he is trying to find himself again. Once he tegains confidence and remembers how good he is he'll **** teams up.

*edit: so yep sorry we agree it's mental but IMO the confidence he has lost from time off etc. is related

His issue is his technique though, For instance when Jack Watts misses a shot it either hits the post or just drifts wide because he has sound technique, when Hogan misses he kicks it on the full from 15m out because his action is terrible. Buddy Franklins technique is not something you would ever teach a kid to do but he never loses confidence ( though he can shank them from close as well and is better from distance because its less thought and more power )

I would still like to see Hogan strip his technique back and run straight at the goals and also hold the ball over his actual kicking leg in the run up.

His issue is his technique though, For instance when Jack Watts misses a shot it either hits the post or just drifts wide because he has sound technique, when Hogan misses he kicks it on the full from 15m out because his action is terrible. Buddy Franklins technique is not something you would ever teach a kid to do but he never loses confidence ( though he can shank them from close as well and is better from distance because its less thought and more power )

I would still like to see Hogan strip his technique back and run straight at the goals and also hold the ball over his actual kicking leg in the run up.

Yep agree with all of this, over the next preseason they need to revamp his entire technique. I think the 44.19 in his first year was a bit misleading when you look at where the shots are from, I know he did kick a few from tight angles but I'd say 90% of his shots were inside 40m.

His technique is shithouse I can't argue with that. Still think when he's up and about he'll go alright but yeah fact is there is so much margin for error that if he isn't on it can quickly deteriorate.

If you overhaul his technique you lose a year, and as he's such a confidence player is it worth it?

My biggest concern is he doesn't seem to be able to hoof it 50m.

If you overhaul his technique you lose a year, and as he's such a confidence player is it worth it?

Do it from day 1 of pre season. Although TBH its so unique he probably would fall back to it under pressure

Yeah he has no penetration in his kicking. It's a surprise from such a strong kid

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back