Player Watch #1 - Jesse Hogan - traded to Freo - #fistedforever

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Players ham it up to make a situation more obvious, whether it's being held onto or high contact. If they just get on with it then umpires will often overlook legit free kicks. The issue is more for staging when nothing has happened.

He did finish top 3 in contested marks in 2015. However it does seem like his contested marking is not as good as it used to be, I remember him clunking packs marks back then but seems to rarely happen these days.
Yeah my memory is the same (and your stat backs it up). Problem is since 2015 he’s almost never been left one out by an oppo defence.

I also just think it’s ridiculous. I’d be embarrassed to show any kind of pain etc if an opponent did anything short of punch me

It used to be a part of Australian culture that you would never show it. I remember Ricky ponting copping a sweep shot to the jaw, spitting out blood and walking to the tea break. Everyday I see that culture being wiped away.

Hogan is a big full forward, I think it sends a stronger message if he stands up to that tap, laughs it off and puts his knee into Carlisle next chance.

It used to be a part of Australian culture that you would never show it. I remember Ricky ponting copping a sweep shot to the jaw, spitting out blood and walking to the tea break. Everyday I see that culture being wiped away.

Hogan is a big full forward, I think it sends a stronger message if he stands up to that tap, laughs it off and puts his knee into Carlisle next chance.
Dunno how I feel about this, I get what you are saying, it reminds me of the West Coast game last year where Hurn hit one of our blokes and then a little while later Viney whilst contesting the ball flew into him and you could tell it was a square up.

On the other hand, if Jesse can milk a free kick from a someone trying to intimidate him, and actually slot it, it is so punishing because of scoreboard pressure but also the "Carlisle" in this situation mentally suffers because they become frustrated and either don't play properly or go the other way and start giving away more frees.

I think in today's AFL, knowing when to cop it on the chin and when to milk it would always be case by case and if I were a coach I would instruct players and especially forwards to know when to milk it, big Ben brown is a good example of a forward who milks it constantly.

Dunno how I feel about this, I get what you are saying, it reminds me of the West Coast game last year where Hurn hit one of our blokes and then a little while later Viney whilst contesting the ball flew into him and you could tell it was a square up.

On the other hand, if Jesse can milk a free kick from a someone trying to intimidate him, and actually slot it, it is so punishing because of scoreboard pressure but also the "Carlisle" in this situation mentally suffers because they become frustrated and either don't play properly or go the other way and start giving away more frees.

I think in today's AFL, knowing when to cop it on the chin and when to milk it would always be case by case and if I were a coach I would instruct players and especially forwards to know when to milk it, big Ben brown is a good example of a forward who milks it constantly.
That bloke Hurn hit was Viney.

Both Hurn and Viney certainly showed a lot more hardness than Carlisle on the week end. There is being tough and there’s being stupid. Carlisle was damn stupid. Hogan was smart to ensure that the umpires noticed what was a free kick. Well done Hoges. No fine. Right call. Dumb Jake.

Nah because everyone would lose their mind if we lost a game with 30 seconds to go because of a free kick for that level of contact. If Mcartin went down from a little push from Vince and one the game everyone would lose it so you can't have it both ways. personally I preferred when the blokes just got on with it instead of this bullshit culture that's come in. The lifting of the arms, throwing back of the head, going to ground over nothing etc has all but eroded the last of the masculinity of the sport. I would be telling all of my players if I was coach to worry about playing the game and forget about the umpires. Don't involve them in your decision making.

They've already taken almost all the entertainment out of the sport, the bi play between the FFs and FBs were some of the best entertainment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah because everyone would lose their mind if we lost a game with 30 seconds to go because of a free kick for that level of contact. If Mcartin went down from a little push from Vince and one the game everyone would lose it so you can't have it both ways. personally I preferred when the blokes just got on with it instead of this bullshit culture that's come in. The lifting of the arms, throwing back of the head, going to ground over nothing etc has all but eroded the last of the masculinity of the sport. I would be telling all of my players if I was coach to worry about playing the game and forget about the umpires. Don't involve them in your decision making.

They've already taken almost all the entertainment out of the sport, the bi play between the FFs and FBs were some of the best entertainment.
I don't disagree with you fundamentally, but you are giving up a competitive advantage if you do not play like that, because everyone else would exploit you, look at Jelwood, Thomas etc, they all train to milk frees by ducking, sliding etc, same thing as staging a bit when you are a full forward.

Personally I find the AFL entertaining still and I think there are some genuine great hard at it moments.

I personally don't like staging in our game or playing for free kicks but as long as the opposition are able to do it then I would encourage our team to do it and do it well.

Last edited:
That bloke Hurn hit was Viney.

Both Hurn and Viney certainly showed a lot more hardness than Carlisle on the week end. There is being tough and there’s being stupid. Carlisle was damn stupid. Hogan was smart to ensure that the umpires noticed what was a free kick. Well done Hoges. No fine. Right call. Dumb Jake.
Thanks for the memory jog. God I love Vines.

I don't disagree with you fundmentally, but you are giving up a competitive advantage if you do not play like that, because everyone else would exploit you, look at Jelwood, Thomas etc, they all train to milk frees by ducking, sliding etc, same thing as staging a bit when you are a full forward.

Personally I find the AFL entertaining still and I think there are some genuine great hard at it moments.

I personally don't like staging in our game or playing for free kicks but as long as the opposition are able to do it then I would encourage our team to do it and do it well.

No I understand your side of it and that's part of a win at all costs mentality but that's why I'd take it out of the players hands, don't give a free kick for that and Hogan doesn't exploit it, fine him and he is embarrassed and certainly doesn't do it again.

No fine. Right call. Dumb Jake.

Seems that Jakey Carlisle and the word "Stupid" get associated quite a lot.

Didnt he do something really stupid back before he arrived at Morabin?

Last edited:
Don't like the whole "Don't dive" thing.

Completely agree. I would be sacking any player who refuses to cheat for the club. Do they think they're going to win close games through skill and composure? I laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back