1 week to go and 1000 supporters needed

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 16, 2006
Queensland
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Jack Darling

If you havent already and you are keen to get GC17 on the coast with 40,000 petitioned members, jump on now. Just go to GC17.com.au and it literally takes 2 minutes..

ONLY 1 WEEK TO GO UNTIL WE ARE OFFICIALLY AN AFL TEAM:thumbsu:

Monday, 29 September 2008
The GC 17 Bid Team were part of the 100,000 plus crowd at the Grand Final between Hawthorn and Geelong on the weekend as guests of the AFL

Board members John Witheriff, Bob Gordon, Dale Dickson, Alan Mackenzie and Graeme Downie lapped up the atmosphere on the last Saturday in September.

With only two weeks to go before the bid team heads back in Melbourne to present their submission to the AFL Commission, GC 17 has over 39,000 committed supporters and is hoping to burst through the 40,000 barrier

so, unless knowone signed up last week, they have less then 1,000 to go

that list doesnt make too much of a statement. i put my name down for it and i have no intention of supporting GCFC, i even said that in the registration.
and couldnt someone just make up a fake name, put a different email in and sign up as many times as they want?
the list is just how many people think this club should exist.

that list doesnt make too much of a statement. i put my name down for it and i have no intention of supporting GCFC, i even said that in the registration.
and couldnt someone just make up a fake name, put a different email in and sign up as many times as they want?
the list is just how many people think this club should exist.

Yeah, you are right, am Im sure the AFL will know this, but if the AFL can see that people genuinely want the team, and have no interest in supporting it, thats not necessarily a bad thing from the get - go

Oh dear - How long do you think it will take the AFL to lose intereset if the crowds are bad everywhere for GC ?

Do you realise that just about every expansion team went through a prolonged acceptance period. Most of the expansion teams struggled at first but because they were in developing areas they became powerhouses .
I'm pretty sure Hawthorn is one,Central Districts is one, Swan Districts is one and Brisbane is one. The AFL has learned that these teams need to be competitive from the start if they don't want prolonged pain and that pain is eased by TV revenue.

Oh dear - How long do you think it will take the AFL to lose intereset if the crowds are bad everywhere for GC ?

Charity ends somewhere

Crowds won't be bad everywhere. You see, most teams in the AFL don't rely on opposition supporters to draw a decent crowd. If Hawthorn vs GC at the MCG can't draw a crowd, then the AFL are going to be more concerned about Hawthorn.

If the GC are pulling crowds on the GC, the AFL are going to be happy.

Charity ends somewhere

what a fanastic statment by a team who used to be a basket case (yes used to be not now clearly). Charity has been going on for 10 years in Vic why would it end now :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what a fanastic statment by a team who used to be a basket case (yes used to be not now clearly). Charity has been going on for 10 years in Vic why would it end now :confused:

Thats just one of the many examples where the AFL lost interest - do you know we still has 20+ years of a 30 year agreement to play at waverley when they closed it on us ?

Or the 'guarantee' to have 6 lions games in melbourne each year ?

Thats just one of the many examples where the AFL lost interest - do you know we still has 20+ years of a 30 year agreement to play at waverley when they closed it on us ?

Whilst I can empathise with you on this point, it is a different CEO and board to the one of 1999. Lets see how they go.

Crowds won't be bad everywhere. You see, most teams in the AFL don't rely on opposition supporters to draw a decent crowd. If Hawthorn vs GC at the MCG can't draw a crowd, then the AFL are going to be more concerned about Hawthorn.

If the GC are pulling crowds on the GC, the AFL are going to be happy.

Not exactly

Fremantle and Port Adelaide draw proportionally lower crowds then all other 'Interstate' clubs to non Perth/Adelaide venues, the Bears were the same. Just look at the poor GABBA crowd for the Brisbane V Fremantle game earlier this year compared to Brisbane V Carlton, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Adelaide and Sydney. Carlton V Port Adelaide/Fremantle drew just 27-28,000 this season, yet games against Adelaide, Brisbane and Sydney drew 35-45,000.

Unless tradition builds, the new franchises will struggle to attract decent crowds to any of the opposition venues, even if the vast majority of the crowd are non GC people

The AFL needs a bolt in support both at the Gold Coast (15-20,000) and Interstate to justify the decision. A first year home and away crowd average of 10-15,000 wouldn't cut the mustard as far as the AFL is concerned so they must drum up support and interest in Victoria as well as the Gold Coast, similar to the Brisbane Lions after the merger with Fitzroy.

The AFL prides itself on being one of the top 3-4 supported sporting codes in the world, a mantle it takes seriously

I can't see the Gold Coast being held responsible for their away attendances somehow. That will be the problem of the home team.

And funnily enough, Adelaide, Brisbane and Sydney were the teams in contention for the finals.

Yet North are somewhat held accountable for the 19,000 that showed up to the Sydney-North Melbourne final, 9,000 less then the Sydney-Brisbane game the week before and 15,000 less then the Sydney-Geelong homebush game.

My point is, newly expanded clubs struggle to attract crowds to all Opposition venues, its not just a Victorian problem.

When Brisbane merged with Fitzroy they cited the importance of developing a decent support base in Victoria as critical to the clubs future, its the same with the Gold Coast. Not only do they have to win over the Coast, but they must stay relevent in Melbourne in particular to become strong, especially in a developing market.

The Gold Coast will become relevant in Melbourne if they are successful.

And yes, the Sydney finals crowd may have been higher the Swans were playing Collingwood or Essendon, but that isn't the responsibilty of North Melbourne, and I don't see how they could be 'accountable' for that either.

Yet North are somewhat held accountable for the 19,000 that showed up to the Sydney-North Melbourne final, 9,000 less then the Sydney-Brisbane game the week before and 15,000 less then the Sydney-Geelong homebush game.

No they weren't. Not seriously anyway. Sydney bore 99% of the brunt of that, the other 1% were just shitstirrers.

My point is, newly expanded clubs struggle to attract crowds to all Opposition venues, its not just a Victorian problem.

When Brisbane merged with Fitzroy they cited the importance of developing a decent support base in Victoria as critical to the clubs future, its the same with the Gold Coast. Not only do they have to win over the Coast, but they must stay relevent in Melbourne in particular to become strong, especially in a developing market.

Irrespective, the Gold Coast aren't going to be held to account over it. If Team X vs Gold Coast at the MCG draws bugger all people, questions will be asked of Team X and their support base. If the GC draws well in the GC, the AFL will be happy with their progress.

You might not, but the AFL isn't creating a team on the GC to win over fans in Melbourne. Unless they merge with another Melbourne team, anything more than a handful of their supporters to away games in the next 20 years is a pipedream .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back