Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

If they took it off the umps and gave it to a rotating panel of say ex players an respected media types would anyone notice after a year? My bet is no way.
Not at all, but the tradition of it will mean it'll never change in my opinion. It's been done the same way for almost 100 years, so if you consider it a unique part of the game, rather than a major issue, which I've no doubt the AFL do, there isn't a reason to change it either.

Not at all, but the tradition of it will mean it'll never change in my opinion. It's been done the same way for almost 100 years, so if you consider it a unique part of the game, rather than a major issue, which I've no doubt the AFL do, there isn't a reason to change it either.

Day grand finals are a unique part of the game the AFL is happy to change.

Day grand finals are a unique part of the game the AFL is happy to change.
Firstly, are they happy to change? A move to a night or twilight GF has been put out there the last few years, and there still hasn't been a change made.

Secondly, it isn't unique at all, we're just one of the last sports to make the move.

If they took it off the umps and gave it to a rotating panel of say ex players an respected media types would anyone notice after a year? My bet is no way.
Why do that though? It’s an award with a particular criteria in terms of the voting panel and various rules (i.e. the ‘fairest’ part meaning the exclusion of suspended players).

Every single year this s**t gets thrown up about how the rules need to be changed because media or public or whatever don’t like the outcome. It’s stupid. Brownlow has a history - change the criteria and it’s no longer the same award. If people want another award honouring the best players in a certain year but using a different measure, then invent another award like the Scomo fandoms award, or the Fox footy media wanked up player award or whatever.

Why do that though? It’s an award with a particular criteria in terms of the voting panel and various rules (i.e. the ‘fairest’ part meaning the exclusion of suspended players).

Every single year this s**t gets thrown up about how the rules need to be changed because media or public or whatever don’t like the outcome. It’s stupid. Brownlow has a history - change the criteria and it’s no longer the same award. If people want another award honouring the best players in a certain year but using a different measure, then invent another award like the Scomo fandoms award, or the Fox footy media wanked up player award or whatever.

They wouldn't even need to get rid of it, just get rid of the t.v. coverage of it an instead televise the coaches votes. Gives them 5 player names instead of 3 per game to read = $$$$

They wouldn't even need to get rid of it, just get rid of the t.v. coverage of it an instead televise the coaches votes. Gives them 5 player names instead of 3 per game to read = $$$$
I could live with elevating the status of the coaches award. After all, the coaches are well positioned to sus out which players are most likely to consistently damage the opposition. At the moment that award is treated a bit like a novelty - the thing is announced by Gerard and Robbo on 360 FFS, and handed over by whichever random happens to be in the studio - last year it was Richardson.

I could live with elevating the status of the coaches award. After all, the coaches are well positioned to sus out which players are most likely to consistently damage the opposition. At the moment that award is treated a bit like a novelty - the thing is announced by Gerard and Robbo on 360 FFS, and handed over by whichever random happens to be in the studio - last year it was Richardson.

It's a very strange idiosyncrysy of the sport that the coaches award is basically a pisstake while the brownlow has god like status

Prefer the Brownlow to the AFLPA MVP which I've heard some media commentators rate as the most important. Players are just like fans. They get caught up with whoever the latest players are that get smoke blown up their arses by the media. I think there would be very few players that watch enough games to decide for themselves who the best players are.

Prefer the Brownlow to the AFLPA MVP which I've heard some media commentators rate as the most important. Players are just like fans. They get caught up with whoever the latest players are that get smoke blown up their arses by the media. I think there would be very few players that watch enough games to decide for themselves who the best players are.

AFLCA award and media awards are more accurate than Brownlow or AFLPA MVP in my view

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We all s**t on journos but I trust them to actually watch the games, same with the coaches.
I recon accuracy is in this order

1. Coaches
2. Media
3. Players and umpires

We all s**t on journos but I trust them to actually watch the games, same with the coaches.

Journalists typically either go with the entirely safe popular opinion or look for something out of left field to be different / for attention. I've watched some games and then match reports after and wondered which game that particular reporter was watching. At least with journos they should come up with a relatively deserving choice for awards given their penchant for lurking on forums and crowd-sourcing their opinions.

The AFL website reporting on the big issues ... I guess when you finish 3rd in the Brownlow, you can start to make demands of your helmet manufacturer ...
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-27/jlt-watchlist-eyecatchers-missing-faces-whats-new

D0OLMvfUUAAbtEJ.jpg

The AFL website reporting on the big issues ... I guess when you finish 3rd in the Brownlow, you can start to make demands of your helmet manufacturer ...
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-27/jlt-watchlist-eyecatchers-missing-faces-whats-new

D0OLMvfUUAAbtEJ.jpg
Agree it’s a massive story :drunk:

Embarrassed to say it was one of the things I noticed about the practise match - Brayshaw has new helmet. In doing so I berated myself for shallowness. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that it made some AFL accredited reporter’s list of significant events.

Agree it’s a massive story :drunk:

Embarrassed to say it was one of the things I noticed about the practise match - Brayshaw has new helmet. In doing so I berated myself for shallowness. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that it made some AFL accredited reporter’s list of significant events.
It's actually a relief to me that he's got himself an appropriately coloured helmet, it was bugging me all last season that it wasn't club colours ... But that's the sort of stupid crap that gets to me

It's actually a relief to me that he's got himself an appropriately coloured helmet, it was bugging me all last season that it wasn't club colours ... But that's the sort of stupid crap that gets to me
It got to me also. I could live with the fact that it was black. It was the bright green stitching that was getting up my nose.

Thank you for going first in confessing this. I was hugging my paranoia to myself, and I feel healthier now it’s out in the open

Helmet aside, he looks a fair bit bigger in that pic

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Was easily the number one midfielder on the park against Collingwood for mine. Looks a class above where he was last year fitness wise, and on a hot day too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back