Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Our midfield is top 4 no doubt but it's too one dimensional still. The other thing the other 2 sides have is their small backs an forwards working up and back with leg speed.

Pies have Varcoe, Stephenson, Treloar, Hoskin- Elliot, Phillips, De Goey etc who are all lightning quick.

Eagles have Jetta Ryan Cripps and Rioli etc

We have Melksham Petracca Hannan...

Now all that legspeed means **** all if our midfield wins the footy and gets it forward but Jones and Tyson need to be moved away from the wings for us to develop the next step.

Collingwood wins the flag for mine and they have set a new bench mark with the speed of their players.
I couldn't agree more.

Weird count. Reckon most would have been surprised to see him break 10 votes. Upon reflection he's had a very good year but I think it just demonstrates the oddities of the umpire vote more than an accurate reflection of his ranking in the AFL. Oliver is a better player than Gus and the umps barely noticed him. We've got a good crop though.

Our midfield is top 4 no doubt but it's too one dimensional still. The other thing the other 2 sides have is their small backs an forwards working up and back with leg speed.

Pies have Varcoe, Stephenson, Treloar, Hoskin- Elliot, Phillips, De Goey etc who are all lightning quick.

Now all that legspeed means **** all if our midfield wins the footy and gets it forward but Jones and Tyson need to be moved away from the wings for us to develop the next step.

Collingwood wins the flag for mine and they have set a new bench mark with the speed of their players.
Sounds like you're saying we need outside speed and class. ;)

demontim27

Cancelled
May 27, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Super happy for the kid. Huge turn around from being told that you may need to look at another career, to top 3 in a Brownlow in 12 months

Jaras1

Senior List
May 8, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
So if Goody had played him from round 1 he would have won the Brownlow and we would have finished top 4 and be lining up for a premiership this week.

What could have been...

I see you're taking it well :D
suprising as he is always the most critical poster and first to put his hand up when wrong

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I took me medicine for that yonks ago tulips was the first thing I read when I woke up. He won that round in a unanimous decision

This ones going to be a lifetime prescription, but a single dose ;)

But I was equally bad with Harmes, so if he ever places in the Brownlow i’m happy to cop it back ;)

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
This ones going to be a lifetime prescription, but a single dose ;)

But I was equally bad with Harmes, so if he ever places in the Brownlow i’m happy to cop it back ;)

I hope Brayshaw finishes top 3 for a decade just so I can hear about It, might need to buy Harmes a helmet though.

It's much easier to accept this way then the 2011 version where every time I thought a player was good they were delisted within 3 years ( looking at you Tapscott )

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
If Gus wasn't made to earn his spot, no way he has the season he did.
Yep, Plow and Andy Maher were speaking with incredulity that he wasn't playing at the start of year before ... Genuinely surprised me that neither of them would even suggest that his absence was a catalyst to his form.

Last edited:

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne

I’m sorry TK, I think I’m misunderstanding you... Are you advocating for more leg speed? ;-)

Xhoquelin

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Charlotte Hornets

I can see Spargo moving further up the ground eventually. Petracca will join the inside group, Gus needs to get better at collecting outside possessions like Sidebottom; he’s got some semblance of the smooth moving, kicking on both sides traits that Sidearse has.

Can Billy be that complementary winger? Feel like to this date his run of form in late 2016 was still the best play by an outside midfielder on our list since Flash in 09 if that even counts given he still played a bit inside

Xhoquelin

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Charlotte Hornets
Its a goldmine
He was right about the fumbling though lol. But I do remember some goose talking about how Brayshaw was one of our worst trainers like Watts.

It’s clear Gus’ two way running has been dramatically better this season. Going to be a superstar. Absolute lock for SuperCoach next season as well you’d think.

As others have said a fair amount to iron out though.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I’m sorry TK, I think I’m misunderstanding you... Are you advocating for more leg speed? ;-)

Every year every teams supporters think they need more 'outside speed and class' it's such an all encompassing answer that lacks intelligence. Outside speed and class is another way of saying a gun footballer.
Marking running kicking handballing and tackling are the 5 essentials of footy. Just blanket naming 2 as something you need just means you need better players.

We don't. We have bloody good players, however all of our midfielders first instict is to come at the football, we need more who's instinct is to find space. We need more that wanna carry the footy and not offload it off a step. There are * all midfielders with the perfect blend. Sidebottom is probably the best in the AFL at it. Shuey Gaff Martin etc. But none readily available. I don't see us solving our issue with a magic trade, fundamentally we would have to change our style.
Replace Melk Petracca Jones and Tyson with Baker Garlett Hunt and Johnstone and we have way more speed but lose alot of ball winning and I50 kicking. To me collingwood are the most dangerous side in the AFL an I've thought it for a while, their drafting has been awesome.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I can see Spargo moving further up the ground eventually. Petracca will join the inside group, Gus needs to get better at collecting outside possessions like Sidebottom; he’s got some semblance of the smooth moving, kicking on both sides traits that Sidearse has.

Can Billy be that complementary winger? Feel like to this date his run of form in late 2016 was still the best play by an outside midfielder on our list since Flash in 09 if that even counts given he still played a bit inside

No reason stretch couldn't be the guy except Goody seems to value players who win ~50% contested.

No reason stretch couldn't be the guy except Goody seems to value players who win ~50% contested.
Stretch is a decent contested ball winner, he’s harder than he looks. Main issue with him is that he shits himself after he has won the hard ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back