Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
The tackles I'm thinking were probably chase down tackles to be fair, but that's still important. I can't say I've noticed his lack of lateral movement I'll start seeing it now probably!
Straight line he's great, still a tough kid. But if anyone steps sideways he loses his power.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Are you serious mate? To satisfy you, I should go and re-watch the game and tell you when it happened. Jog off you ass clown

Yeah i am serious, you want to make some big statements like that then back it up. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but questioning a footballers commitment is about as big a question you could put on them, plus if it was so obvious then it shouldn't be hard to recollect when they happened so you don't have to re watch the game.

Yeah i am serious, you want to make some big statements like that then back it up. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but questioning a footballers commitment is about as big a question you could put on them, plus if it was so obvious then it shouldn't be hard to recollect when they happened so you don't have to re watch the game.

3rd quarter 6:18 left. 😏

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
What did people think of his game?
Maybe I just can't see the good anymore but outside of his long left foot kick I thought he was terrible. Cost us the first goal by losing Scully on the wing and cost us the 3rd goal by going to ground and getting pinged htb.
I can't remember a dees player who loses their feet more often than him. He fumbles all the time and he's slow as *.
I genuinely think we would be a better side with him out of the team and replaced by a more defined role player.

Robos

Team Captain
May 7, 2009
Point Cook
AFL Club
Melbourne
Maybe I just can't see the good anymore but outside of his long left foot kick I thought he was terrible. Cost us the first goal by losing Scully on the wing and cost us the 3rd goal by going to ground and getting pinged htb.
I can't remember a dees player who loses their feet more often than him. He fumbles all the time and he's slow as fu**.
I genuinely think we would be a better side with him out of the team and replaced by a more defined role player.
Your right , think we Could do a lot better without him ! Always stuffs up and turns it over and doesn’t have the X factor to be in the middle

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I can't remember a dees player who loses their feet more often than him. He fumbles all the time and he's slow as fu**.

You’re right, unfortunately. He’s a pure inside mid who has been pushed out of the first rotation due to Trac’s emergence and Viney being fit again.

He’s great depth to have if one of the main crew get injured but right now he’s ineffective. I think we should look at dropping him - and possibly trading him come end of year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
You’re right, unfortunately. He’s a pure inside mid who has been pushed out of the first rotation due to Trac’s emergence and Viney being fit again.

He’s great depth to have if one of the main crew get injured but right now he’s ineffective. I think we should look at dropping him - and possibly trading him come end of year.

This year is the last chance to trade him with any sort of value, might still be able to get a first rounder or early second from the west if we are lucky.
Dom Tyson eat your heart out.

It should be illegal for Melbourne fans to criticise Dom Tyson post-mortem, we’d have folded without him. I don’t care how limited he turned out to be, show some gratitude you ungrateful children. The man died for our sins, don’t speak ill of the dead. Would trade three Josh Kellys for the hope and joy he brought.

i know this post is deranged, I simply do not care

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!

I was screaming at the TV when i saw the replay to the first goal, takes off towards our goal to man up a player and leaves scully out the back.

His disposal by hand and foot yesterday was horrible. But he did follow up and crack in at the contest, personally i couldn't fault his effort yesterday.

Bad disposal yesterday but was out best player two weeks ago.

Imo he gets another chance to redeem himself this week

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

He had some good touches but some howlers too. Lost Scilly early, but there were about 3 Hawks streaming down the wing for their first goal so he wasn't the only one to lose his man there.
Tomlinson could take his spot on the wing this weekend. Does need to be better with his disposal and decision making although without a proper twos it's hard to know that dropping him will help with that. I do like him in the side but needs to do more to hold his spot.

He's become VDB lite. Hits ground balls hard in straight lines, tackles well but that's about it at the minute. Massive regression from his first year and 2018. Suffering from being played out of position, but that's going to continue with the form of track, Viney and Oliver over the past fortnight.

Most noticeable are the clangers when under relatively no pressure. He needs to be so much better than that. Not sure what the answer is

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
I’m torn

I think he cracks in, tackles well, also held the call up really well once or twice when outnumbered, may have saved a goal or two

I reckon he shanked it a few times which is why opinion isn’t so divided

tidy that up and he was great

so I guess I remain positive

I thought he was pretty solid to be honest, the clangers aren't ideal, but I don't see any of them as critical.

He's having an impact on contests and is creative when he gets the ball, runs hard.

He's not at his best, but I think we're going a bit hard on him.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I’m torn

I think he cracks in, tackles well, also held the call up really well once or twice when outnumbered, may have saved a goal or two

I will prefer a player giving effort over skill errors.

Feel like him and Tomlinson are probably playing for the one spot at the moment. Thought Brayshaw had good and bad moments yesterday.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’m torn

That shank straight to the hawk player on the wing was Cale Morton on queen's birthday 2.0.

I'm all for cracking in and good effort, but we were cracking in and showing good effort vs Geelong /Richmond etc. It seems nearly every other mid has gotten the message to think clearer with ball in hand and execute bar Brayshaw.

It's a shame there is no vfl as I think he would benefit from a few games there as the main inside mid, go get 30 touches and cover the ground to get his confidence back up. Right now though he's close to the weakest link in our team as either an inside mid or wingman. (Melksham is a close second)

It looks like he is working hard but his untidy disposal has been an issue including in 2018 when he would roll into either foot and kick long and high inside 50. It looks good but the actual end result hasn't really changed , he's just getting less of the ball now.

Personally, I can't see it improving but I've been wrong 2 or 3 times today already so who knows.

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
That shank straight to the hawk player on the wing was Cale Morton on queen's birthday 2.0.

I'm all for cracking in and good effort, but we were cracking in and showing good effort vs Geelong /Richmond etc. It seems nearly every other mid has gotten the message to think clearer with ball in hand and execute bar Brayshaw.

It's a shame there is no vfl as I think he would benefit from a few games there as the main inside mid, go get 30 touches and cover the ground to get his confidence back up. Right now though he's close to the weakest link in our team as either an inside mid or wingman. (Melksham is a close second)

It looks like he is working hard but his untidy disposal has been an issue including in 2018 when he would roll into either foot and kick long and high inside 50. It looks good but the actual end result hasn't really changed , he's just getting less of the ball now.

Personally, I can't see it improving but I've been wrong 2 or 3 times today already so who knows.

I get your point - I guess I’m backing him to fix it. But I understand where you are coming from

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
What’s with his really low minutes?

65% TOG compared to Nathan Jones 81% tonight seems strange. I didn’t notice anything where he was forced to the bench either.

There was a bit of discussion on it from the commentators. First choice mids probably getting higher TOG at the expense of others with the shorter qtrs, so just an indication of coaches preference?

He still seems to be really battling.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
What’s with his really low minutes?

65% TOG compared to Nathan Jones 81% tonight seems strange. I didn’t notice anything where he was forced to the bench either.

There was a bit of discussion on it from the commentators. First choice mids probably getting higher TOG at the expense of others with the shorter qtrs, so just an indication of coaches preference?

He still seems to be really battling.
Been doing it for ages. It's because he's ******* useless on the ground if he's not an inside mid, same as Viney and Oliver.

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
0562bc725131531f4fefb800ac8528bb.jpg

How’s his heat map from tonight? Message to Goody - Brayshaw is not a ******* winger!!!

0562bc725131531f4fefb800ac8528bb.jpg

How’s his heat map from tonight? Message to Goody - Brayshaw is not a ******* winger!!!

Reckon half those possession were when he was on the way off the ground after getting dragged near the interchange 😂

ABray10

All Australian
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
The combination of 20% less game time and more midfield minutes for Trac is not doing this guy any favours. Short of an injury though he isn't displacing any of our first choice inside mids. Oliver would have been most vulnerable until a couple of weeks ago.

Back