Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm hoping that he is like the others who were way out of form 3 weeks ago and he starts coming good soon.

Problem with dropping him is that he can't really find form anywhere else, it's gotta be found in the firsts or nothing, so obviously the coaches still rate him best 22 and are backing him to come good.

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm hoping that he is like the others who were way out of form 3 weeks ago and he starts coming good soon.

Problem with dropping him is that he can't really find form anywhere else, it's gotta be found in the firsts or nothing, so obviously the coaches still rate him best 22 and are backing him to come good.

It's a conundrum because he's also not going to find form at AFL level if he's playing as a winger and on 60% game time. He's just surplus to requirements at the moment.

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
Oliver has shown, especially earlier in his career, some good signs when playing forward, strong hands is the main thing. He hasn't kicked a goal yet this year, which is potentially a knock on him against other elite midfielders.

Another medium-sized forward option is not something we really need at the moment, but I just wonder if it could mix it up and open the door for Brayshaw to take a few more center clearances and stoppages, getting him into games.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Oliver has shown, especially earlier in his career, some good signs when playing forward, strong hands is the main thing. He hasn't kicked a goal yet this year, which is potentially a knock on him against other elite midfielders.

Another medium-sized forward option is not something we really need at the moment, but I just wonder if it could mix it up and open the door for Brayshaw to take a few more center clearances and stoppages, getting him into games.

I don't want Brayshaw into more centre clearances at the expense of Oliver, personally...

I don't want Brayshaw into more centre clearances at the expense of Oliver, personally...
Agreed but both Oliver and Trac can be genuinely dangerous at FF I reckon. Would like to see it tried a bit more at least, not like Gus or Harmes wouldn’t be in the starting on ball rotation for most other clubs, and also not like Oliver and Trac dominating in the middle is winning us games. Who knows, maybe we’ll kick more goals :O

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
The combination of 20% less game time and more midfield minutes for Trac is not doing this guy any favours. Short of an injury though he isn't displacing any of our first choice inside mids. Oliver would have been most vulnerable until a couple of weeks ago.
Gary Lyon covered it on the couch, he has never played much more than 80% game time, it is Petracca taking his minutes and him being the one out of Oliver and Viney who can play outside. Just doesn’t help him.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's a conundrum because he's also not going to find form at AFL level if he's playing as a winger and on 60% game time. He's just surplus to requirements at the moment.

yeh it's as if the coaches want him in the team but they don't know why they want him in the team. conspiracy theory time - maybe they have earmarked him to trade and need to keep him in the best 22 to retain his value at the trade table

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
yeh it's as if the coaches want him in the team but they don't know why they want him in the team. conspiracy theory time - maybe they have earmarked him to trade and need to keep him in the best 22 to retain his value at the trade table
if he keeps playing like s**t his trade value will be that of s**t. I wouldnt be giving up a top 25 pick for him if I was another club

gawndog37

Senior List
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
I was listening to the DeeBrief podcast and one of the blokes on there brought up an idea of Brayshaw and Salem swapping positions, which I think could potentially be beneficial. Gus obviously doesn't have the running capabilities to play on a wing, but he does have some outside nous, I reckon he could go alright on a HBF where he's a nice intercept mark of the ball, and doesn't have to run as much as he would on a wing. Salem could be that classy user we've wanted to see sitting at the back of stoppages and good decision maker going inside 50. Saying that I think Gus will be out the door at the end of the year, he deserves better opportunity at another club, I just hope we get some good value for him, I'm not interested in picks in this years draft.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne

Oliver to centre half back it is?

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I was listening to the DeeBrief podcast and one of the blokes on there brought up an idea of Brayshaw and Salem swapping positions, which I think could potentially be beneficial. Gus obviously doesn't have the running capabilities to play on a wing, but he does have some outside nous, I reckon he could go alright on a HBF where he's a nice intercept mark of the ball, and doesn't have to run as much as he would on a wing. Salem could be that classy user we've wanted to see sitting at the back of stoppages and good decision maker going inside 50. Saying that I think Gus will be out the door at the end of the year, he deserves better opportunity at another club, I just hope we get some good value for him, I'm not interested in picks in this years draft.
just play the best players in that position. over this bullshit of our 5th 6th 7th best inside mids getting games in positions they can't play.
We don't have a 1st and first pick will be hawks second. I wonder if a team like Geelong could possibly give up 1 of their 3 1st rounders for him seeing as Selwood Ablett and Danger are starting to get on in age. we could then trade that for a player or future pick or combine it with Hawks second seeing as a few clubs will need points and giving up future picks and just take our 3rd at 2 4ths to the draft this year. but yeah I dont see him with us next year

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Not the worst idea. Gus is way more impactful in the air than Salem. Having said that I'd prefer Hore in the back 6

Deelighted

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
I really like the idea of Salem further up the ground, but the coaching staff seem fixed on him being a HBF. We didn't even try him on the wing when we were playing Jones and Tyson there ffs.

Think straight swapping Brayshaw and Salems positions is a great idea but I'll be surprised if they try it.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
One of Brayshaw's first games back from concussion we played him at HBF and he did really well.

Took some strong grabs overhead and kicked really well. It was at the G, maybe against the Saints.

2017, he had 26 touches and 4 marks after copping a huge head knock in Q1.

One of Brayshaw's first games back from concussion we played him at HBF and he did really well.

Took some strong grabs overhead and kicked really well. It was at the G, maybe against the Saints.

2017, he had 26 touches and 4 marks after copping a huge head knock in Q1.
Was that the game where Harmes went full Wayne Carey mode in the first quarter?

Less than 2 full seasons ago: https://www.afl.com.au/matches/1579#player-stats

37 disposals, 14 marks, 2 tackles, 3 goals, 86% time on ground, 166 fantasy points.

That version of Gus would see us 5-2 instead of 3-4 :(

(As a side note, 4 players in the 20 and 3 club, which is probably the 15 and 2 club this season)

Back