Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

Agreed, but are trying to win finals or develop players still? It's a fine line.

Hopefully both!

I'm much happier with Sparrow getting 8 touches than Gus... Sparrow will still develop naturally by playing games at this point so as long as he is playing a role I'd keep him in.

Hopefully both!

I'm much happier with Sparrow getting 8 touches than Gus... Sparrow will still develop naturally by playing games at this point so as long as he is playing a role I'd keep him in.

That's fine, I'll just be interested to see if people keep this energy if we get slashed on the outside against the aints and dogs.

Fwiw I think Sparrows shown a but and I reckon he will be a player, hopefully unlike our other mids he can develop a rounded game

That's fine, I'll just be interested to see if people keep this energy if we get slashed on the outside against the aints and dogs.

Fwiw I think Sparrows shown a but and I reckon he will be a player, hopefully unlike our other mids he can develop a rounded game

Agree we need some balance, I'd probably look to drop Jones before Sparrow at the moment but I'm questioning who we bring in for that balance.

Bennell if 100%, sure, but you can tell his defensive efforts still are a bit off and he didn't move that well last game he was in.

ANB? Not as a wing.

Rivers to DEF and Salem to wing? Yeh, maybe.

Agree we need some balance, I'd probably look to drop Jones before Sparrow at the moment but I'm questioning who we bring in for that balance.

Bennell if 100%, sure, but you can tell his defensive efforts still are a bit off and he didn't move that well last game he was in.

ANB? Not as a wing.

Rivers to DEF and Salem to wing? Yeh, maybe.

Salem becomes a star if this happens imo.
Hannan adds more forward as does Bennell, Hunt if he only needs to get it 10 times in a functioning forward line might add more.
Then unknowns like Baker and Bedford.

Hannan adds more forward as does Bennell, Hunt if he only needs to get it 10 times in a functioning forward line might add more.

Definitely agree that Salem up the ground should happen, that pass to Sparrow on the lead in the last was class.

Definitely agree that Salem up the ground should happen, that pass to Sparrow on the lead in the last was class.
Staggers me that a team who has struggled with inside 50 connection but not with getting them keeps our supposed best ball user in defence.
Richmond instantly became a premiership team when Dusty stopped getting kicks in the back half and started getting them forward of centre.
Teams average 11 points a game or something like that from D50 plays, it's just not that necessary to have great ball users in D50.

Forgot about Baker, shows how much healthier the list is and with the new additions that he is no where near selection at the moment.

Forgot about Baker, shows how much healthier the list is and with the new additions that he is no where near selection at the moment.
Baker might get delisted, but it really feels like we've gone to the well on the same type of player without giving the lineup a different look.

Staggers me that a team who has struggled with inside 50 connection but not with getting them keeps our supposed best ball user in defence.
Richmond instantly became a premiership team when Dusty stopped getting kicks in the back half and started getting them forward of centre.
Teams average 11 points a game or something like that from D50 plays, it's just not that necessary to have great ball users in D50.

I'd say for us it is important, we play horrible footy if we play surge footy.

I'd say the biggest impact to the side has been wining ground balls inside 50. Spargo's (3rd) and Melskham's goals in the second came from front and Sqaure's/ground balls. Preuss and brayshaw's kicks were no different than what we have seen for the last 2.5 years, fact is we are winning more ground balls inside 50 and it also allows us to defend better because the ball isn't pining out of forward 50,

I'd say for us it is important, we play horrible footy if we play surge footy.

I'd say the biggest impact to the side has been wining ground balls inside 50. Spargo's (3rd) and Melskham's goals in the second came from front and Sqaure's/ground balls. Preuss and brayshaw's kicks were no different than what we have seen for the last 2.5 years, fact is we are winning more ground balls inside 50 and it also allows us to defend better because the ball isn't pining out of forward 50,
Don't agree quite with that, the obvious effort to hit up blokes on the lead inside the corridor has created diversity in out attacks which means when we do go long the teams defenders aren't sweating on it. Preuss kick for example went to McDonald over the back and it was a clear 2v2

Games gone by that was 4v2

If you turn it over coming out of defence it’s not that big of a deal in modern footy because you’re still set up to defend and you can win it back and try again or keep shuffling it up the field. If you turn it over in the midfield or half forward when your entire defence has pressed up into attack then you’re cooked. That’s how we conceded most of our goals last year and early last year. It’s why it was stupid playing Fritsch in defence just so we’d have a better kick there. He had no offensive impact setting up play, like Salem now, and it was players butchering it up the field that was always putting our defence under pressure. Now we’re better set up in defence with Lever, Hibberd and May but the back 6 has less to deal with anyway because we’re a bit tidier ahead of the ball and they don’t get caught out of zone. So it’s time to get Salem moving up the ground. Had one kick inside 50 last night and we scored a goal from it. More of that please. Just trust the rest of the defenders to make smart decisions and they won’t need Salem to babysit all of their disposals.

If you turn it over coming out of defence it’s not that big of a deal in modern footy because you’re still set up to defend and you can win it back and try again or keep shuffling it up the field. If you turn it over in the midfield or half forward when your entire defence has pressed up into attack then you’re cooked. That’s how we conceded most of our goals last year and early last year. It’s why it was stupid playing Fritsch in defence just so we’d have a better kick there. He had no offensive impact setting up play, like Salem now, and it was players butchering it up the field that was always putting our defence under pressure. Now we’re better set up in defence with Lever, Hibberd and May but the back 6 has less to deal with anyway because we’re a bit tidier ahead of the ball and they don’t get caught out of zone. So it’s time to get Salem moving up the ground. Had one kick inside 50 last night and we scored a goal from it. More of that please. Just trust the rest of the defenders to make smart decisions and they won’t need Salem to babysit all of their disposals.
100%

Goody has made some good change ups in recent weeks, this has to be another one surely. Salem in a more attacking role front of centre has to be a move he makes sooner rather than later. Maybe takes a front half wing role on Tomlinson's side as he is playing a more defensive role now which suits us perfectly so we don't need a 3rd tall down back. Attacking wing/Forward flank with some time on the ball in rotation would be perfect for Salo and for the team. He'd only need 15 touches a game to be more impactful than he is currently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still want to trade him, anyone?

From an outside perspective I think you should. He is best suited in the guts, and I feel he gets wasted in other positions with the Dees. He would definitely have currency with some teams screaming for an inside mid of his caliber. A pick inside top 14 easy! Or direct swap for a pressing need.

From an outside perspective I think you should. He is best suited in the guts, and I feel he gets wasted in other positions with the Dees. He would definitely have currency with some teams screaming for an inside mid of his caliber. A pick inside top 14 easy! Or direct swap for a pressing need.
I think playing him in the guts sounds more appealing than pick 14

Unless Brayshaw nets a Lachie Hunter calibre winger or better, you'd have to keep him...assuming he is played in position of course

I wouldn't trade him for the number 1 pick tbh, let alone somewhere in pick 8-14 range. He's a gun and I don't feel you should really ever trade out that much talent for a pick. Wouldn't know really what our pressing need is apart from maybe a capable tall forward as TMac struggles, but we wouldn't get a sure thing for him I don't think.

Given how easily he’s rebounded to something like his 2018 form simply by moving back to the same position I’d hope we don’t trade him for less than what he showed he was worth that year. We aren’t a charity.

Given how easily he’s rebounded to something like his 2018 form simply by moving back to the same position I’d hope we don’t trade him for less than what he showed he was worth that year. We aren’t a charity.
This is a good point. He's essentially just flicked a switch (or the coach has) to get him back to near his best, which is impressive. Hope we don't trade him but it is amusing to see a players value go from late 1st, early 2nd round pick to top 10 in the space of a couple weeks.

Would think it's unlikely we get decent enough trade value from him this year then. Would be a hell of a gamble for any club to take him before seeing how he goes getting back on the training track.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back