Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

Going about his business very quietly atm but doing it well. Certainly wasn’t embarrassed by any of the Cats’ high profile wingers today, or Tom Phillips v Fremantle for that matter. Plenty of selfless and sensible moments. Working really hard to get back and cut off a lot of oppo thrusts, might have had the most spread out possessions of any of our players today

I don't think he's been great, but he's certainly figured out his positioning alot better. Him and Langdon are monsters at working back into defence and plugging holes. Starting to convince me he's the second best option for the wing we have.

I don't think he's been great, but he's certainly figured out his positioning alot better. Him and Langdon are monsters at working back into defence and plugging holes. Starting to convince me he's the second best option for the wing we have.
Played alot of today off half back too

I thought he looked good when he was down there

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

He's been really solid this year - would definitely like to see more from him in terms of possessions but it's clear that he's focusing on the aspects of the wing role he hasn't been great at previously, defensive running and holding his shape.

Looks a lot calmer around the footy too. Think a lot of that is just his positioning, is getting ‘luckier’ in terms of intercepting ricochets and ground balls.
100%
Workrate the main difference, you can get alot of easy touches being on the fatside during a defensive 50 turnover. Either as the handball to spread it or down the line.

I'd have to get the lab out but I'm suspecting we are playing like you would with soccer fullbacks. Hunt and Salem overlap and run forward and Landgon and Brayshaw just hold or drop back into the space they leave. Means we can attack from half back but also be solid defensively

100%
Workrate the main difference, you can get alot of easy touches being on the fatside during a defensive 50 turnover. Either as the handball to spread it or down the line.

I'd have to get the lab out but I'm suspecting we are playing like you would with soccer fullbacks. Hunt and Salem overlap and run forward and Landgon and Brayshaw just hold or drop back into the space they leave. Means we can attack from half back but also be solid defensively
That’s what the tigers do well. Every time we play them 90% of their goals come from luck because whenever the ball comes out at odd angles it lands in their hands. It’s just positioning. Brisbane did it to us well last year also.

Going about his business very quietly atm but doing it well. Certainly wasn’t embarrassed by any of the Cats’ high profile wingers today, or Tom Phillips v Fremantle for that matter. Plenty of selfless and sensible moments. Working really hard to get back and cut off a lot of oppo thrusts, might have had the most spread out possessions of any of our players today

Tom Phillips plays for Hawthorn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we still get a third rounder for him? It's like "**** in the bull" while Viney and Oliver play.
Potential Dow trade??????

We got the best set of wingers in the league?

Or have we got the best set of wingers in the league.

Seriously though if our two wingers could kick I'd argue they're the best set in the comp at fulfilling the winger responsibilities. Or maybe I'm just seriously hyped now that we finally have two wingers who work so hard in defense, tho IIRC Tommo/Lingers were pretty good at that to start last season too

We got the best set of wingers in the league?

Or have we got the best set of wingers in the league.

Seriously though if our two wingers could kick I'd argue they're the best set in the comp at fulfilling the winger responsibilities. Or maybe I'm just seriously hyped now that we finally have two wingers who work so hard in defense, tho IIRC Tommo/Lingers were pretty good at that to start last season too

They're not game breaking wingers for the most (although Langers has had his moments) - but the disciplined and well rounded games they have are huge for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back