Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

i wish i could remember what in particular made me realise he's trash. some particularly spicy list appraisal probably
He said it was essential that Essendon keep James Polkinghorne for 2017.

That was an eyebrow raiser.

As noted in the trade thread, not much interest in him from the SA clubs according to Rob Kerr.

It won't come until late if it comes at all.

Port and Adelaide have their priorities and limitations. They're not going to drop everything for Francis on current form.

If he remains at Essendon next year - which appears increasingly likely - then we need to come up with better ways to manage his mental state. It won't be enough to simply demand higher standards if a player is fundamentally unhappy with his situation.

If he is 'homesick' then let him spend some time home during the season. If we play in Adelaide let him go over there a few days early and come back a few days later. Challenge him to get better by providing a huge incentive to make the senior team. Is there other ways to manage it? What is his living situation? Is there anyone at the club he could move in with to develop the type of relationships that will help him on and off the field? Would he benefit from getting more involved in the community (volunteer work perhaps) that would creates links to Essendon and Melbourne?

Otherwise there is a good chance that either a) he won't make good on his potential or b) it won't matter because he will head home anyway. We need to create an environment in which being 'homesick' is manageable rather than debilitating.
Make him hungry. Have BJ pick him up for training in the 458 Italia and get Adrian to show him his new jacket.

I think it's entirely possible Francis could be traded to another Melbourne based club - I am unconvinced about homesickness.

Then you would be 100% wrong. There is a bit going on which is why he has not been 100% at ticking all the boxes needed to play at AFL level. From what i hear Aaron is struggling a bit in the aftermath of his brothers death but it is also having an effect on the family losing one son and having another interstate. This is also weighing on Aaron's mind which is why he would be happy to get back to SA.

He will not be traded to another Melbourne club.

I am a bit torn on this. I still think he was the best player ability wise form that draft. However being exposed to a bit more info and meeting his family at the VFL have left me with some doubts. His mum and dad are not athletic types. His old man is your typical 70,s or 80,s style big man, solid build, tree trunks for legs. This sort of explains why it is a bit of a struggle for Aaron. And it will be a constant work in progress meaning he will always have be putting 100% into all areas of his preparation to keep himself in AFL level shape. If he happens to keep getting minor injuries it could be the end of him.

Then it come down to what is he worth ? you would say no longer top 10 but then this draft is not one of the better in recent times although it will be similar to the draft he was drafted from. If Adelaide gt 10 from Melbourne then you would take it but I doubt they will offer it alone. 16 could be possible but they may even balk at that. It may well be time to cut and run but you would not want pick 34 as it is too deep in a weaker draft. Possibly could take 34 this year and a future second rounder as next years draft had more depth.

Interesting times.

Then you would be 100% wrong. There is a bit going on which is why he has not been 100% at ticking all the boxes needed to play at AFL level. From what i hear Aaron is struggling a bit in the aftermath of his brothers death but it is also having an effect on the family losing one son and having another interstate. This is also weighing on Aaron's mind which is why he would be happy to get back to SA.

He will not be traded to another Melbourne club.

I am a bit torn on this. I still think he was the best player ability wise form that draft. However being exposed to a bit more info and meeting his family at the VFL have left me with some doubts. His mum and dad are not athletic types. His old man is your typical 70,s or 80,s style big man, solid build, tree trunks for legs. This sort of explains why it is a bit of a struggle for Aaron. And it will be a constant work in progress meaning he will always have be putting 100% into all areas of his preparation to keep himself in AFL level shape. If he happens to keep getting minor injuries it could be the end of him.

Then it come down to what is he worth ? you would say no longer top 10 but then this draft is not one of the better in recent times although it will be similar to the draft he was drafted from. If Adelaide gt 10 from Melbourne then you would take it but I doubt they will offer it alone. 16 could be possible but they may even balk at that. It may well be time to cut and run but you would not want pick 34 as it is too deep in a weaker draft. Possibly could take 34 this year and a future second rounder as next years draft had more depth.

Interesting times.

Have u seen Buddy's old man?

Buckenara is a bit like those part-timers who do tax returns for H and R Block when the real accountants are too busy.

Has had more experience than most. You can never agree with all opinions but I find his work interesting to read.

Have u seen Buddy's old man?

Yes I have. Have also seen pictures of him 30 years ago. Buddy will be the same size when he retires. His old man was a fair athlete in his younger days.

Just wondering has any senior player taken him under their wing the way Kelly did McGrath? Its seems he has just struggled to even fit in at a social level.
He seems to sort of loosely fit in with the guys that are around his age, but from the outside it's hard to know (you're sort of guessing based on social media and whatever). I remember Parish saying it was hard when the players were suspended because he had been surrounded by all these mentors and suddenly they were gone, and that's from a midfielder who was always with the midfield group, and the midfield group is full of older guys anyway. Parish also seems to be a bit more outgoing and probably makes friends a bit easier. With McGrath he's also a different temperament, he seeks people out, tries to learn from them and makes friends more easily than I think Francis would?

Francis seems like he keeps to himself, and any sort of mentor relationship from when he first got to the club probably went nuclear with the suspensions too. He probably hasn't trained with any of the older players for anything more than a few months at a time, with suspensions and being moved forward and back (although moving to defence was something he asked for). He models his game off Goddard (or at least that's the player comparison we always get), so you'd think Goddard might've had a bit to do with him early on, but now that he's in defence, perhaps someone like Hurley?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He seems to sort of loosely fit in with the guys that are around his age, but from the outside it's hard to know (you're sort of guessing based on social media and whatever). I remember Parish saying it was hard when the players were suspended because he had been surrounded by all these mentors and suddenly they were gone, and that's from a midfielder who was always with the midfield group, and the midfield group is full of older guys anyway. Parish also seems to be a bit more outgoing and probably makes friends a bit easier. With McGrath he's also a different temperament, he seeks people out, tries to learn from them and makes friends more easily than I think Francis would?

Francis seems like he keeps to himself, and any sort of mentor relationship from when he first got to the club probably went nuclear with the suspensions too. He probably hasn't trained with any of the older players for anything more than a few months at a time, with suspensions and being moved forward and back (although moving to defence was something he asked for). He models his game off Goddard (or at least that's the player comparison we always get), so you'd think Goddard might've had a bit to do with him early on, but now that he's in defence, perhaps someone like Hurley?

Or even Hooker. There's similarity at least in terms of his story of the benefit of sticking with the club and seeing it through, and Hooksy's played at both ends. They definitely need to get around him.

Have u seen pics of aarons dad from his young days? How about Darren Jarman?

No but I am in a position to talk to people around recruiting who do dig around in the family history. It is something that comes up.

Has had more experience than most. You can never agree with all opinions but I find his work interesting to read.
I don’t like him for no other reason than watching the 80’s Grand Finals on VHS as a little kid and hearing his name getting called out.

Pretty sure I called him F*ckenara one day and Dad yelled at me and I probably didn’t get a curly wurly afterwards.

Keep Polkinghorne and trade number 1 to Port for Hartlett and their pick which was number 9.

Ok that is not one of his better suggestions.
In saying that Hartlett and Will Brodie (pick 9) in would not have been terrible in fact it would have been good.
Plokinghorne. No.
Happy we went the way we did though :thumbsu:

Good job for Dustin fletcher
Get him around the club again. Show Francis how to get the most out of being a smart reader of the game.

Good job for Dustin fletcher
Get him around the club again. Show Francis how to get the most out of being a smart reader of the game.

Would have loved to have seen Jobe get around him. Would have been perfect. Having said that its a good job for Heppell as well.

In today's Herald Sun Buckenara says a 2nd rounder for Francis and two 1sts for Schache because he was a high pick and KPF. Fair enough KPF but he was just four picks ahead of Francis!!

Then on his seven points, point 7 ..EFC hardest to deal with...and recounts how hard Sheeds was to deal! It's ancient history pal!

When Barassi took over as Swans coach from Buckenara, he was astonished how unconditioned the players were....and this was from a coach that was out of the game for a while.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back