Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he's got the ability to play both ends, but the lack of consistency and changing demands of the role would be pretty tough for a young bloke.

Settle him as an intercept / rebound defender role, let him play a few games at VFL level to see whether he's up to the role at AFL level, then give him a run of games in the same role at the senior level and see whether he can make it.

He's got so many positive traits, just hasn't had the opportunity to really make a spot his own.

Our forward-line is strong, he doesn't have the running capacity for a midfielder, but he reads the play well, marks strongly, and has good disposal to play that HBF / Intercept defending role well in my opinion.

One of our biggest issues is playing people in different roles between the AFL and VFL sides, and it makes it impossibly hard for young players to come in and play a role at AFL level unless they're obscenely talented (e.g. McGrath, Parish, Heppell) and ready to go anywhere you stick them.

If he's been keeping his fitness up while he's been away from the club I'd love to see him have a chance in Gleeson's role without being thrown around or dropped after each game. Gives him up to half a season to see if he's good enough, and if he's not, back to the VFL in the same bloody role to improve.

I think he's got the ability to play both ends, but the lack of consistency and changing demands of the role would be pretty tough for a young bloke.

Settle him as an intercept / rebound defender role, let him play a few games at VFL level to see whether he's up to the role at AFL level, then give him a run of games in the same role at the senior level and see whether he can make it.

He's got so many positive traits, just hasn't had the opportunity to really make a spot his own.

Our forward-line is strong, he doesn't have the running capacity for a midfielder, but he reads the play well, marks strongly, and has good disposal to play that HBF / Intercept defending role well in my opinion.

One of our biggest issues is playing people in different roles between the AFL and VFL sides, and it makes it impossibly hard for young players to come in and play a role at AFL level unless they're obscenely talented (e.g. McGrath, Parish, Heppell) and ready to go anywhere you stick them.

If he's been keeping his fitness up while he's been away from the club I'd love to see him have a chance in Gleeson's role without being thrown around or dropped after each game. Gives him up to half a season to see if he's good enough, and if he's not, back to the VFL in the same bloody role to improve.

He’s not gonna step into Gleeson’s role. He’s nowhere near fit enough.

He’s not gonna step into Gleeson’s role. He’s nowhere near fit enough.

I'm doubtful as to whether he could do it from Round 1; but there's nothing either way as to whether he's maintained his fitness while he was away from the club. I agree he lacks the run that Gleeson has, but that doesn't mean he can't play a similar-ish role but using his kicking and size where Gleeson uses his run as a weapon more.

I'd say both attack the ball well so I don't think there's a concern as to him contesting for marks, moreso can he be effective in that intercept role like Gleeson is, and if so, give him a chance to hold down that role across VFL / AFL levels as his performance allows.

I'm doubtful as to whether he could do it from Round 1; but there's nothing either way as to whether he's maintained his fitness while he was away from the club. I agree he lacks the run that Gleeson has, but that doesn't mean he can't play a similar-ish role but using his kicking and size where Gleeson uses his run as a weapon more.

I'd say both attack the ball well so I don't think there's a concern as to him contesting for marks, moreso can he be effective in that intercept role like Gleeson is, and if so, give him a chance to hold down that role across VFL / AFL levels as his performance allows.

He’s never been fit enough for senior footy since he was drafted, so having just had a few weeks off he sure as hell won’t be now no matter what’s he’s been doing.

He was gifted a spot on Anzac Day last year and if he gets a game early this year he’ll have been gifted it again.

Trust the club to manage him right but fitness remains a huge concern.

The justification behind declaring that he cannot be a midfielder due to fitness reasons but can be a defender is outdated.
Any player needs similar levels of fitness to play AFL.
Last year general defenders averaged a distance of 13.36kms/game with 15.2 sprints (1.0 repeat sprints).
KPDs averaged 13.27kms/game with 12.3 sprints (1.6 repeat sprints).
Midfielders averaged 13.11kms/game with 9.5 sprints (0.7 repeat sprints).

Forwards generally covered less ground than either defenders or mids.

Due to the requirements on defenders to continually push up and down the ground and present attacking options while also having to revert to a defensive position ASAP in the event of a turnover, they now have a requirement to have the strongest aerobic capacity.

Thus I don't see that there is a valid argument that he is fit enough to be a defender but not fit enough to be a midfielder. If anything - forwards tend to need the lower aerobic capacity - but I can't see him finding a spot in our forward line at the moment.

I still have a lot of hope for the boy.

He’s never been fit enough for senior footy since he was drafted, so having just had a few weeks off he sure as hell won’t be now no matter what’s he’s been doing.

He was gifted a spot on Anzac Day last year and if he gets a game early this year he’ll have been gifted it again.

Trust the club to manage him right but fitness remains a huge concern.

Have they ever played him as a Defender at AFL level though? I don't recall exactly what role he was playing last year to be honest.

I think as a Forward you have to be able to run and create opportunities, whereas Defenders can get away with being a McGovern type and just popping up and doing what's needed.

It's hard to know where his fitness is at presently, but to me the biggest thing is get him playing a consistent role at VFL level that is the intended role at AFL level and see if he can get some games in while Gleeson is recovering and there's no clear replacement - Dea, Hartley and Brown are all serviceable but none jump out as being able to hold Gleeson out of the side when he's fit.

The justification behind declaring that he cannot be a midfielder due to fitness reasons but can be a defender is outdated.
Any player needs similar levels of fitness to play AFL.
Last year general defenders averaged a distance of 13.36kms/game with 15.2 sprints (1.0 repeat sprints).
KPDs averaged 13.27kms/game with 12.3 sprints (1.6 repeat sprints).
Midfielders averaged 13.11kms/game with 9.5 sprints (0.7 repeat sprints).

Forwards generally covered less ground than either defenders or mids.

Due to the requirements on defenders to continually push up and down the ground and present attacking options while also having to revert to a defensive position ASAP in the event of a turnover, they now have a requirement to have the strongest aerobic capacity.

Thus I don't see that there is a valid argument that he is fit enough to be a defender but not fit enough to be a midfielder. If anything - forwards tend to need the lower aerobic capacity - but I can't see him finding a spot in our forward line at the moment.

I still have a lot of hope for the boy.
Really he is surplus to us and if he gets up and going great. I have no issues giving him a 3 year contract and give him time providing he wants to play for us. Just keep backing him in and let him work it out.

I wonder what people are smoking talking him up as an inside midfielder. He ain't a midfielder of any kind. The reason why he hasn't been playing seniors is because he isn't fit enough (recent issues aside). Midfield is all about two way running. The improvement he's had so far doesn't give rise to any optimism that he will ever be able to cope with the endurance demands that AFL midfielders require. Stringer would probably run circles around him and he's not even fit enough to do full time mid.

He probably needs to make it as a 3rd tall or key position player at AFL level if he wants to play. Maybe at a stretch he could be a Gleeson type as a medium defender that plays tall and offers some rebound.

That said lets see what comes. Its only his 3rd year and he sounds like he's in a good place again so we'll see where he's at in a month or two and whether he can snag himself a spot (likely in defense).

Unfortunately I'm running out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have they ever played him as a Defender at AFL level though? I don't recall exactly what role he was playing last year to be honest.

I think as a Forward you have to be able to run and create opportunities, whereas Defenders can get away with being a McGovern type and just popping up and doing what's needed.

It's hard to know where his fitness is at presently, but to me the biggest thing is get him playing a consistent role at VFL level that is the intended role at AFL level and see if he can get some games in while Gleeson is recovering and there's no clear replacement - Dea, Hartley and Brown are all serviceable but none jump out as being able to hold Gleeson out of the side when he's fit.

You’re right we don’t know what his fitness is like at the moment but I suspect he would be a long way off. Let’s be clear - at no point since he was drafted has he been fit enough to play senior footy every week. That’s through a combination of injury and a lack of a natural fitness base. He’s just returned to the club after weeks off - so I hardly think now would be the time where he’s suddenly made the leap to AFL match fitness.

I agree on getting him into the right position and hope the coaches do. Personally he strikes me as best used at half back with the game in front of in him. Who knows what they’ll do though, identifying and sticking with a young players best position is not exactly our club’s strong suit.

He’s a versatile type but defence-wise - in a back 6 - I think Hurley, Ambrose, Gleeson, Hartley, Baguley, Dea, Brown, Saad, McKenna and McNiece are ahead of him. All have had relatively trouble-free preseasons and would be a fair way ahead of him. Gleeson is out but there’s a fair few others to contend with and it’s a tough task to leap them within half a season.

They could just put him in anyway but it may not be the best thing as (a) if he’s unfit he’ll get carved up anyway and (b) there’ll be a lot of noses put out of joint, and justifiably so.

You’re right we don’t know what his fitness is like at the moment but I suspect he would be a long way off. Let’s be clear - at no point since he was drafted has he been fit enough to play senior footy every week. That’s through a combination of injury and a lack of a natural fitness base. He’s just returned to the club after weeks off - so I hardly think now would be the time where he’s suddenly made the leap to AFL match fitness.

I agree on getting him into the right position and hope the coaches do. Personally he strikes me as best used at half back with the game in front of in him. Who knows what they’ll do though, identifying and sticking with a young players best position is not exactly our club’s strong suit.

He’s a versatile type but defence-wise - in a back 6 - I think Hurley, Ambrose, Gleeson, Hartley, Baguley, Dea, Brown, Saad, McKenna and McNiece are ahead of him. All have had relatively trouble-free preseasons and would be a fair way ahead of him. Gleeson is out but there’s a fair few others to contend with and it’s a tough task to leap them within half a season.

They could just put him in anyway but it may not be the best thing as (a) if he’s unfit he’ll get carved up anyway and (b) there’ll be a lot of noses put out of joint, and justifiably so.

45500051.jpg

He has heaps of time, just needs to get himself right to have a run.

In football terms how far behind fellow draftees Weideman, McKay ect is he from this draft?

All only have 5 or so games experience

Will take time

He has heaps of time, just needs to get himself right to have a run.

In football terms how far behind fellow draftees Weideman, McKay ect is he from this draft?

All only have 5 or so games experience

Will take time
Way way way behind Weideman, who should be best 22 by seasons end.

Way way way behind Weideman, who should be best 22 by seasons end.
He that 6 months away, so Weideman "may" not should break into the Melbourne lineup by then, all will be playing VFL for long periods.

But yes Weideman is ahead but not drastically if Francis can get some extended game time at VFL level.

He that 6 months away, so Weideman "may" not should break into the Melbourne lineup by then, all will be playing VFL for long periods.

But yes Weideman is ahead but not drastically if Francis can get some extended game time at VFL level.
Francis will need drastic improvement to be best 22 by round 23. Your club expects Weideman to be playing most games post bye.

Francis will need drastic improvement to be best 22 by round 23. Your club expects Weideman to be playing most games post bye.

The big thing is Francis needs the fitness but there's no question about his talent or ability if he can run out games. Even with Ambrose and Gleeson out he's not in a position - unfortunately - to come in and fill the role.

Weideman seems to have the fitness ready to go, but has been kept out by more developed players, and has been able to step in when opportunity comes up.

I think this is being over complicated in general. Francis needs to do all the things that he has so far been unable to do. Get fit, show his potential, make peace with himself. If he does all those things everything will turn around for him real quick. Unfortunately we've been given no reason so far to think that will happen.

Tmac is out for a few weeks now and Watts is gone.
And i don't think we'll see Weideman anytime soon.

Francis and Weideman were longer term projects for their clubs.
Time hasn't run out on them yet.
Weideman most likely plays this week actually. Hogan, Pedo Bear and the Weed.

Everyone who mentions Curnow in this thread is getting kicked.

He missed basically all his draft year with a serious knee injury, had no clear best position or form to go off, got done for drink driving a week before the draft, was never in the frame for the top 5 at any stage and never wanted to be at Essendon.

Apart from that he would have made a ripping Essendon footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back