Player Watch #10: Aaron Francis - Reportedly close to signing a new two year deal - 31/5

(Log in to remove this ad.)

un_eggs

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
In a best 22, I’d have him as a swingman from the bench. As much as I think that settling him in one position will benefit his confidence I also think his attributes are best suited to filling a need as the specific game dictates. This means that you can have a third tall forward and a third tall back with Frang essentially their chop-out when rotating. He’s a burst player and I’d love to see him fully embrace that role and become a match-winner/saver to suit the occasion.

Bunk Moreland

Hall of Famer
Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
You mean Redman or Ambrose? Or one of the smalls who guard zippy smalls who run a lot?
If it had to come down to a choice between Francis, Ambrose and Redman, yeah I’d play Francis without doubt. He has the highest ceiling and we’re not winning a flag this year.

I’m not convinced that’s the choice though.

Howard Moon

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Seems to have a few awareness issues in traffic, might be ultra confidence in own ability or sometjing but it reeks of melky sometimes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TheGrizz

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
I have no doubt the awareness issues are partially down to the fact he is now playing in the forward half more.

When you play as a tall defender the play generally unfolds with everyone in front of you, the instances where you need to be aware of people behind you is much rarer.

At the moment he just isnt aware of pressure being put on from bheind, as sucj he is taking too long with ball in hand.

That is fine when you take the mark and have time to go back, but tonight he couldnt mark anything and as such always looked a chance of being mown down. Is really a defender and needs to play there.

ScrappyCoCo

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Good one week, not so much the next. I think Ant said he wont be much chop when he is not marking it and tonight did not suit. Needs an extended run (preferably back) before my mind is made up. Like to get him to 50 games.

table tennis

Bigfooty class clown
Feb 14, 2008
Around
AFL Club
Essendon
Just needs to have a red hot crack. Picks and chooses when he is on. It's not just him, efforts of a few of our players are inconsistent within games. He is just a glaring one, as he is almost our great white hope

TheGreatBarryB

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Texans, Astros, Leeds
Hooker was interviewed after the game and it’s in today’s Hun where he said he’s nice and settled in the backline and back six working well together. He also said he’s been working with Francis and giving him tips on playing forward, said should stick with him up forward

Top Bottom