Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

Francis is showing good signs this year - but for me he’s much better down back than up forward. Maybe Woosha playing him forward is partly to educate him as to how to become an even better backman. Hurley is 29 and Hooker 30.5 so we will defiantly need the big Franga ranga down back in 2 or 3 years

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Francis is showing good signs this year - but for me he’s much better down back than up forward. Maybe Woosha playing him forward is partly to educate him as to how to become an even better backman. Hurley is 29 and Hooker 30.5 so we will defiantly need the big Franga ranga down back in 2 or 3 years

Francis is being held back by Hurey imho. A rebounding disposer who should be playing on the tallest, deepest forward.

Quotes regarding Francis from the coach in today's media conference.

- Playing forward due to injuries
- Will play where we need him to play, at either end
- Still young, not "settling into a role" just yet
- Doesn't necessarily make way for Stringer, has played forward alongside Stringer earlier in the season.

“He’s been playing up forward for us with the number of injuries that we’ve had to our forwards,” Worsfold said.

“(He is) going to be (played) where we need him to play; he can play at both ends and he can contribute in that regard.

“He’s another young player who is in the very early stages of his career, so he’s not settling into a role just yet, but that will come in time for him.

“He was playing up forward when Stringer was up there before anyway, so it will be an overall balance of what we need.”
https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2019-06-11/clarke-no-onetrick-pony

Francis is being held back by Hurey imho. A rebounding disposer who should be playing on the tallest, deepest forward.

Can see him having same issues as McGovern in covering an opponent. Haven’t seen much in the way of am marking when he did play down back.

More Hooker isn’t it? I think they see Hurley and Ambrose as stoppers and Hooker ideally as a loose player, which Francis would play.

Though Hooker can do either, and is probably best on the really big blokes given his size.

In any case, I think Francis probably floats until there’s injury or retirement. I’d like to maybe see him on a wing if he can build a bit of a tank. I think he’d be a good link man with his kicking, would be worth a try.

More Hooker isn’t it? I think they see Hurley and Ambrose as stoppers and Hooker ideally as a loose player, which Francis would play.

Though Hooker can do either, and is probably best on the really big blokes given his size.

In any case, I think Francis probably floats until there’s injury or retirement. I’d like to maybe see him on a wing if he can build a bit of a tank. I think he’d be a good link man with his kicking, would be worth a try.
I don't think we will ever see Francis on a wing.
The guy runs out of breath jogging his memory

A good move, he’s done a lot of grunt work (work I didn’t think he was capable of to be perfectly honest) and a lot of impressive unrewarded running in the last month for very little in the way of results.

Plug him in at CHF in the ressies, let him get the feel of ball in hand and hopefully get a bit of confidence back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very unlucky, but it’s a team balance decision & I agree with it this time. Was always coming out for Stringer.

Hopefully goes back to the VFL & is played forward so he can keep learning his craft & be ready for the call up on these short turnarounds.

Team selection makes sense, but trade talk him is dumb. He's developing his game and we'll need him down back as Hooker and Hurley close out their careers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Watched his game really closely on the weekend and he presented very well. Would have got to thirty or forty marking contests, but he needs to work on creating space on his opponent. He attacks most contests like he’s floating in unopposed. Still four goals and couple of assists show he’s improving.

Watched his game really closely on the weekend and he presented very well. Would have got to thirty or forty marking contests, but he needs to work on creating space on his opponent. He attacks most contests like he’s floating in unopposed. Still four goals and couple of assists show he’s improving.
I was very impressed with him too. Had to almost play a lone hand up there as a tall doing a lot of hard work.
Four goals was a good return.

Had a shocker.

That was his first game in defense for awhile yeah? You gotta wonder how much swinging like that impacts his development.

Had a shocker.

That was his first game in defense for awhile yeah? You gotta wonder how much swinging like that impacts his development.

He wasn’t bad until the last quarter. Laid some big tackles and had some nice kicks in the first half, really bad last though, got caught out when he had to play on the bigger man in Finlayson when Hooker went forward.

Had a shocker.

Four day turnaround probably didn’t help but he was quite poor.

He did do a couple of really nice things in the last quarter when it was up for grabs though.

He wasn’t bad until the last quarter. Laid some big tackles and had some nice kicks in the first half, really bad last though, got caught out when he had to play on the bigger man in Finlayson when Hooker went forward.
Butchered it by foot. Would've been lucky to go 50% DE efficiency.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back