Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon should be allowed to look after its (significant) investment in this kid and not simply take the first 'best we can do' shrug of an offer from the SA clubs.

Seek out decent compensation but be prepared to hold the player to his contract (that he himself extended, let's not forget) and see if he can get back on track in the red and black.

It sounds like it was a mature conversation by the club, player and manager knowing what they all know about his homesickness and mental state etc. Along the lines of, "we know you're not 100% happy here and if we can make it work and get a trade back to SA, would that work for you" kinda thing.

It sounds like it was a mature conversation by the club, player and manager knowing what they all know about his homesickness and mental state etc. Along the lines of, "we know you're not 100% happy here and if we can make it work and get a trade back to SA, would that work for you" kinda thing.
So long as it wasn't my fault, I'm ok with this. Seriously though, looking back when I asked him to stay he actually laughed quietly under his breath.
Maybe he thought I'd read his mind?

I'm happy for him to stay purely for the reason I don't think we would get much value out of a trade for him. IN a little no mans land too as he has to show something soon but if he does't his value may drop even more too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Francis can’t break into the best 22 and if he stays at the Bombers, 2018 will be a make-or-break year for him.

"He’s always had a bit of a lazy streak, even going back to under 18s level, and never looked as fit as he could be and in today’s game even if you have great talent and athleticism like he does, if you can’t sustain it then you don’t survive.

He has the potential to be exactly the same type of player as Eagle Jeremy McGovern as that third defender who intercepts it because he reads it so well. The penny has to drop. He’s at the crossroads now – does he want an AFL career or not"

Wow that's a blunt assessment.

Francis can’t break into the best 22 and if he stays at the Bombers, 2018 will be a make-or-break year for him.

"He’s always had a bit of a lazy streak, even going back to under 18s level, and never looked as fit as he could be and in today’s game even if you have great talent and athleticism like he does, if you can’t sustain it then you don’t survive.

He has the potential to be exactly the same type of player as Eagle Jeremy McGovern as that third defender who intercepts it because he reads it so well. The penny has to drop. He’s at the crossroads now – does he want an AFL career or not"

Wow that's a blunt assessment.
Whose assessment was that?

I think given the lack of interest from SA clubs and the fact that we might be able to land the 3 S's without giving him up I reckon he will be with us next season and its the most crucial season for him. If he gets fit and plays most games in the seniors perhaps he gets in a better mental state next season and commits to us. If he gets injured or struggles to make the 22 again then i can see him wanting to depart again. Reckon given he is injured a lot and isnt cracking the 1's has led him to be homesick this year

If he remains at Essendon next year - which appears increasingly likely - then we need to come up with better ways to manage his mental state. It won't be enough to simply demand higher standards if a player is fundamentally unhappy with his situation.

If he is 'homesick' then let him spend some time home during the season. If we play in Adelaide let him go over there a few days early and come back a few days later. Challenge him to get better by providing a huge incentive to make the senior team. Is there other ways to manage it? What is his living situation? Is there anyone at the club he could move in with to develop the type of relationships that will help him on and off the field? Would he benefit from getting more involved in the community (volunteer work perhaps) that would creates links to Essendon and Melbourne?

Otherwise there is a good chance that either a) he won't make good on his potential or b) it won't matter because he will head home anyway. We need to create an environment in which being 'homesick' is manageable rather than debilitating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back