Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

He's still clumsy at times and prone to a brain fade, but that was a much more promising showing tonight imo.

Historically he’s looked like he’s played in a state of anxiety. Looked confident that he belongs. Also what a monster of rig now.

Had a tough night asked to play full back and lacked composure. Frequently slipped when he tried to accelerate, losing his opponent in traffic, letting high balls over the back, handballs to teammates who were flatfooted. Has shown he is capable not sure if its a lack of tank or psychological?

He's a Jeremy McGovern player that we're asking to be a Ben Rutten lockdown type. The lack of development from BZT is killing Francis.

He's a Jeremy McGovern player that we're asking to be a Ben Rutten lockdown type. The lack of development from BZT is killing Francis.
Is BZT dead? Why the * is he not playing?

The rise of Ridley killed frang, not the lack of BZT

Don't really agree with that. I feel Ridley and Frang can co-exist. It's the lack of KPD's that can lockdown an opponent which is forcing Francis into this defensive-oriented shell of a player, in contrast to offensive potential he had/s.

Ambrose/BZT/Hurley in that team tonight would've made a massive difference to Francis' game tonight.

As an aside, it truly is a shame we wasted that 13-17 window with the quality we had in that time.

The rise of Ridley killed frang, not the lack of BZT
Have to disagree with this Howie. There is room for both Ridley and Frang but they need a proper tall with them too. Stewart was supposed to be the guy this year. Reid and Brand hopefully added to the mix as soon as ready. BZT should be able to slot into the Stewart role otherwise im not sure why he's on the list. Underdone as well though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The idea that a team only has one designated intercept marker is baffling.

Well unless you have a tank to get back to your man after going third man in it's not going to end well more often than not. Ridley either marks it or kills it, he's an expert. Frang sometimes marks it, sometimes kills it, or sometimes half flops it into a dangerous spot or let's it over the back, or even more humerously there's the one where he kills his own teammate on the way through.... that's when having more than one 'interceptor' is baffling when we are like bees to the honey pot leaving free forwards to feast on the scraps

Well unless you have a tank to get back to your man after going third man in it's not going to end well more often than not. Ridley either marks it or kills it, he's an expert. Frang sometimes marks it, sometimes kills it, or sometimes half flops it into a dangerous spot or let's it over the back, or even more humerously there's the one where he kills his own teammate on the way through.... that's when having more than one 'interceptor' is baffling when we are like bees to the honey pot leaving free forwards to feast on the scraps
Or you can look at how all three dynasty teams of the past 15 years have set up. Geelong had a mixture of Mackie, Harley, Scarlett and Enright who played through that role. Hawthorne had Gibson, Birchall, Hodge, Lake. Richmond have had a combination of Rance, Vlaustin, Grimes do it.

Or you can look at how all three dynasty teams of the past 15 years have set up. Geelong had a mixture of Mackie, Harley, Scarlett and Enright who played through that role. Hawthorne had Gibson, Birchall, Hodge, Lake. Richmond have had a combination of Rance, Vlaustin, Grimes do it.

All three were extremely well drilled, you rarley saw one on another blokes turf. They were always positioned for the next link. I think frang just has limits to his skill set that those blokes don't. In his perfect world he'd just be able to attack every contest and hope we can clean up the mess around him but we arent drilled that way

All three were extremely well drilled, you rarley saw one on another blokes turf. They were always positioned for the next link. I think frang just has limits to his skill set that those blokes don't. In his perfect world he'd just be able to attack every contest and hope we can clean up the mess around him but we arent drilled that way
That's not the point. The point is you said the rise of Ridley killed him. Which implied that you thought a team could only have one "designated interceptor". Something that has been said multiple times by many people on this board.

That's not the point. The point is you said the rise of Ridley killed him. Which implied that you thought a team could only have one "designated interceptor". Something that has been said multiple times by many people on this board.

The implication dosent quite match my intent. I think the only role he can excel at is the exact role Ridley owns. Whether or not we structure up to play 2 of them isn't my call. But even last year when BZT or hooker/Hurley were avail frang was still groomed as a lock away so it wouldn't seem a way we desire to structure up

The implication dosent quite match my intent. I think the only role he can excel at is the exact role Ridley owns. Whether or not we structure up to play 2 of them isn't my call. But even last year when BZT or hooker/Hurley were avail frang was still groomed as a lock away so it wouldn't seem a way we desire to structure up

There is no definite plus one role anymore. Everyone plays on a man, roll off when you can and when you need to. It’s moving as a unit. Ridley is just better at it than Francis. The only unique defensive role is one that starts on a wing and rolls back immediately.

Francis can thank his lucky stars that we only have injured veterans and young kids available to play KPD right now. His game was appalling.

His disposal that people rave about often results in direct goals to the opposition. He goes for these rocket low passes which 1/3 end up in a good forward play for us and 2/3 end up in a direct turnover (in the middle of the ground) and a score for the opposition. I hate it, its just low % plays.

Its hard to believe he was supposed to be this one on one contested beast that would take intercept and contested marks on a regular basis like a McGovern. Couldn't be further from that at AFL level. He's actually regressed in that area since his first year. He's got fitter and worse at football.

In no mans land for mine and I suspect he'll be depth/traded/delisted within 3 years unless something really changes.

Extremely disappointing performance. Made a multitude of mistakes with ball in hand, but also made half hearted efforts defensively in the second half. He clearly lacks physical conditioning to run out games and also is bereft of confidence to play as the main key back.

I know it is extremely hard to be a professional AFL footballer, but looks like Francis is not up to it as the moment.

We need Stringer or Waterman to play forward next week and Hooker to the backline. If not, then Zach Reid to full back, seeing as his tank is probably already better than Frangas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back