Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

14.3 disposals per game is not not managing to get a kick mate. Again, not even the point. We're not a high performing, high rewarding team at this point in time. We had well-below par players crazily being picked regularly in our best 22.

We might be attractive in the future, but our AFL team as a whole hardly screams hunger and success. I don't blame Aaron if he isn't feeling inspired at Essendon. It's a bitter pill to swallow, but it's true.
14.3 at VFL level, wow. Maybe we should make him the captain.
http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/119796/Aaron-FRANCIS
1Ankle.
2-
3-
4VFLRotated between defence and attack. Had hands full at times down back, but okay forward.-
5CollLovely early goal at half forward but a little starved of the footy thereafter.3
6Rested.
7FremA booming kick but was off target with three behinds.4
8VFLNo impact at all and was disappointing. Needs to lift.-
9Groin.
10VFLMissed a few chances and is still yet to tear a game apart.-
11VFLBooted three goals and marked strongly at times. Getting back to some form.-
12VFLHad some exciting moments, but was just fair overall playing in attack.-
13Bye.
14VFL10 possessions – all kicks. Just going at the moment.-
15VFLPlayed in defence and looked to have more confidence in that role.-
16VFLStarred early on, the influence waned against the Roosters.-
17VFLNeeds to develop his fitness if Dons want him in the midfield. Had 22 touches.-
18VFLHad some good moments in the first half before he seemed to be sore in the second stanza. Finished the day with 14 touches.-
19VFLUsed at both ends and was a good performer – relished the contest late.-
20VFLBye.-
21VFLJust fair in defence, but took the match saving mark in dying seconds.-
22Rested.
23VFLLooked to be working into some good form ahead of the finals. Just needs to get fit!-
EFHamstring.
Tell me which was the performance that jumped out and said "PICK ME"?

Move him on for best option... Lets face it, his mind is and has been elsewhere for a long time now and yes you can see potential in spirits.

It's become obviously clear he isn't here for the ultimate prize so it's a win win that he has some value...

Cardio is a focus and achievable in a lot less time than this kid has been granted...

Maybe he will find the drive to put it together in S.A. as i can understand the homage to being a crow eater but TBH he's been a fail and nothing our club can do will change it if its emotional

We have certainty have given him a chance to shine but in reality he's mind is elsewhere...

I see no loss in trading him for our best future options...

Let's rewind. You said he couldn't get a kick. I provided info to dispute that.

What's the rest of your post on about?
I still say he couldn't get a kick, and an unreferenced stat for average combined disposals (an unimpressive number of which BTW) is unlikely to convince anyone otherwise. Unless you take the expression to mean a solitary kick?

Why do you keep talking about his position in the team as if I'm saying it was being blocked by Watson? Way to miss the point.

Yes you are wearing rose glasses if you think Jobe wasn't beyond cooked this year.
No I get your point, you want all the kids to play no matter what.

Just like Melbourne did all those years ago and proceeded to win all those games and finals from the benefit........

Watson was cooked, i fully agree, him playing had absolutely no bearing on Francis as Francis was never going to take his spot, add the fact nobody on the list even now will fill that void. Now, if you would like to name players who shouldn't have got a game ahead of Francis who's place he could have taken, feel free to bring it up. Throwing out hissy fits and bitchy one liners about other players isn't what I call a good argument nor getting your point across.

I'll await your witty rebuttal about wearing rose glasses and just not gettin it, cause like, Jobe was cooked and Francis was angry about Jobe getting games cause he was like totally cooked and taking all the Francis games from him.

Shows some good things but after two years at an AFL club your fitness should at least be to VFL-standard. Yes he's had some injuries hamper him but surely you'd speak to senior players or coaches about what to do away from the club to improve endurance/stamina. Doesn't seem to have the motivation here, maybe a change in scenery would help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely disappointed more than angry at this one. If as reported he's genuinely homesick (and that's more than understandable given his brother's passing, etc) it could be at least a factor in why he's struggled to meet those professional standards and application that the club and supporters have found somewhat lacking.

On exposed form we'll definitely get unders for him, but I suspect if a deal is done he's an even-money chance to find an approach that works for him once back home in SA and will go on to be a successful 150+ game AFL player. Hope it does work out for him (even if in an opposition jumper) because his talent is undeniable and those scant-few "moments" and glimpses in games we've seen are really breathtaking.

Wow, sentiment has certainly changed on here. From 'most talented player on the list' to s**t truck that can't get a kick. Funny what a trade demand can do.

There has always been a lot on here that had concerns he won't make it. That has grown the last 3 months.

I think he will be handy but not sure he will ever be the superstar he's been touted to be.

I honestly think that if the Crows aren't willing to offer us a pick in the 16-22 range (and I wouldn't offer that for him), we should just tell Francis that he isn't being traded this year.

No point shipping off a contracted, high-potential player for a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick in a weak draft. Even next year's 2nd wouldn't be good enough. Might as well keep him and hope that playing for his and his family's favourite club can override the fact he is homesick. Make him put in a good pre-season (seriously, Heppell should attach himself to Francis with a bull rope and never let him out of his sight), give him some more opportunities in the senior team next year, and see if it finally clicks for him.

I'd honestly rather take the risk on him having a shitty 2018 and ruining his value even more, rather than seeing him go on to win the Rising Star at another club after we traded him for a crappy 2nd rounder.

Last edited:
It's a bit about opportunity. He was one of our better players against Freo earlier this year - and was then for some reason dropped and not seen again. We had plenty worse players that day who played the next week. As in 10+.

At stage stage he could only play a couple of quarters of footy. You do know it is more damaging to continually play someone who does not have the fitness level required to play at the highest level ? What is better ? play 3 or 4 senior games and break down with another injury ? or go back to the seconds where you can have a managed program with a certain amount of game time and a long steady build into the next pre season ?

If he wanted more opportunity then maybe he should have trained a bit harder early on..... the some reason he was dropped was fitness based. He was cooked after the game. The 10 worse players still had a fitness level well above his.

There was clear reasons Francis wasn't picked and it wasn't because Watson and Howlett were. Need to move on from that

You just can't gift games to young players. It doesn't help in anyway. They may not be mature at 18-20 But they need to be atleast professional to get games.

Dodoro's comments about Francis last week have pretty much indicated that we're going to have to get a bloody good offer to trade him and the way I see it not a lot has changed. The Francis camp haven't indicated he's massively discontented, the two Adelaide clubs haven't come out and massively thrown their hats in the ring (something that I think could be a huge wake up call for Az, given he's probably in the frame of mind that if Essendon doesn't work out I'll just go back to Adelaide and receive a heroes welcome) and Essendon still remain committed to him.

I highly doubt it's the first time something like this has happened, and to be perfectly honest I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay.

Not sure he is massively discontented. They have just said he is homesick and would prefer to go him if a deal could be made.

I can't see a deal getting done here. Essendon would be after an end of first round around.

Port don't have the picks required to facilitate the trade.

Adelaide will more than likely have picks 10 (Lever), 16, 18 (Cameron). If Gibbs nominates, then one of them will be needed, possibly two. I can't see Adelaide spending any of those picks on Francis.

I think this wil drag on through the trade period and we try but only get offered later picks for him. He stays and buckles down and they boys get around him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back