Player Watch #10: Aaron Francis - Staying at Essendon! - 19/10

Discussion in 'Essendon' started by Doss, Nov 24, 2015.

Put it out there
  1. Summer Nights

Summer Nights Premium Gold

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Celtics, Red Sox, Oilers
    Why do you keep talking about his position in the team as if I'm saying it was being blocked by Watson? Way to miss the point.

Yes you are wearing rose glasses if you think Jobe wasn't beyond cooked this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Doss

Doss Super Moderator

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Fitzroy Football Club
    Why Jobe is even coming up in a conversation about Francis and him getting or not getting games has me beat.

Mr Mojo Risin, Runk and Yoda_ like this.
  3. yodellinhank

yodellinhank Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    14.3 at VFL level, wow. Maybe we should make him the captain.
    http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/119796/Aaron-FRANCIS
    Tell me which was the performance that jumped out and said "PICK ME"?

4. Summer Nights

Summer Nights Premium Gold

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Celtics, Red Sox, Oilers
    Let's rewind. You said he couldn't get a kick. I provided info to dispute that.

What's the rest of your post on about?

5. the PILL

the PILL Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Move him on for best option... Lets face it, his mind is and has been elsewhere for a long time now and yes you can see potential in spirits.

It's become obviously clear he isn't here for the ultimate prize so it's a win win that he has some value...

Cardio is a focus and achievable in a lot less time than this kid has been granted...

Maybe he will find the drive to put it together in S.A. as i can understand the homage to being a crow eater but TBH he's been a fail and nothing our club can do will change it if its emotional

We have certainty have given him a chance to shine but in reality he's mind is elsewhere...

I see no loss in trading him for our best future options...

6. yaco55

yaco55 Premium Gold

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Get a pick in the 20's and run - This should then give us picks to pick up the 3 new recruits - Certain that Ridley will play the Francis role.

7. yodellinhank

Essendon
    Other teams:
    I still say he couldn't get a kick, and an unreferenced stat for average combined disposals (an unimpressive number of which BTW) is unlikely to convince anyone otherwise. Unless you take the expression to mean a solitary kick?

8. yodellinhank

Essendon
    Other teams:
    I'm certain Ridley will be better than that.

9. DapperDon

DapperDon Premium Gold

Essendon
    Other teams:
    No I get your point, you want all the kids to play no matter what.

Just like Melbourne did all those years ago and proceeded to win all those games and finals from the benefit........

Watson was cooked, i fully agree, him playing had absolutely no bearing on Francis as Francis was never going to take his spot, add the fact nobody on the list even now will fill that void. Now, if you would like to name players who shouldn't have got a game ahead of Francis who's place he could have taken, feel free to bring it up. Throwing out hissy fits and bitchy one liners about other players isn't what I call a good argument nor getting your point across.

I'll await your witty rebuttal about wearing rose glasses and just not gettin it, cause like, Jobe was cooked and Francis was angry about Jobe getting games cause he was like totally cooked and taking all the Francis games from him.

EnolaGay and onthemove77 like this.
  10. yodellinhank

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Not only was Francis never going to take the spot of one of our midfielders, the reality is he is firmly in the conversation for player least deserving of a game on our list. And i'd have had him at outright #1, ahead of Morgan & Long.

11. Bombers36

Bombers36 Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Get what we can for this guy while he still has currency and move on. He’s shown very little in his time at the club and will be no major loss

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Beerfish

Beerfish Bless

Essendon
    Other teams:
    MotherMaryDarcy
    Funny thing is I aint even mad really.

DERO, Darealrath, Skipper_ and 4 others like this.
  13. Bomberblitzer

Bomberblitzer Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Shows some good things but after two years at an AFL club your fitness should at least be to VFL-standard. Yes he's had some injuries hamper him but surely you'd speak to senior players or coaches about what to do away from the club to improve endurance/stamina. Doesn't seem to have the motivation here, maybe a change in scenery would help.

14. hotkorma

hotkorma YESS

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Just disappointed.

15. Cup_o_Jobe

Cup_o_Jobe Draftee

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Definitely disappointed more than angry at this one. If as reported he's genuinely homesick (and that's more than understandable given his brother's passing, etc) it could be at least a factor in why he's struggled to meet those professional standards and application that the club and supporters have found somewhat lacking.

On exposed form we'll definitely get unders for him, but I suspect if a deal is done he's an even-money chance to find an approach that works for him once back home in SA and will go on to be a successful 150+ game AFL player. Hope it does work out for him (even if in an opposition jumper) because his talent is undeniable and those scant-few "moments" and glimpses in games we've seen are really breathtaking.

16. calyam

calyam Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Wow, sentiment has certainly changed on here. From 'most talented player on the list' to shit truck that can't get a kick. Funny what a trade demand can do.

17. Fridge16

Fridge16 Debutant

Essendon
    Other teams:
    There has always been a lot on here that had concerns he won't make it. That has grown the last 3 months.

I think he will be handy but not sure he will ever be the superstar he's been touted to be.

18. Fin ice Smuggler

Fin ice Smuggler Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Don’t trade him unless we get wines

QPower and Bomber_Dan like this.
  19. mayhem20202

mayhem20202 Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Leeds United
    There’s been constant debate about him want to make it since he arrived

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yodellinhank likes this.
  20. Liberator

Liberator All Australian

Essendon
    Other teams:
    I'm going to miss him running around in the VFL :cry:

21. Jobe Watson

Jobe Watson Brownlow Medalist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Arsenal
    I honestly think that if the Crows aren't willing to offer us a pick in the 16-22 range (and I wouldn't offer that for him), we should just tell Francis that he isn't being traded this year.

No point shipping off a contracted, high-potential player for a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick in a weak draft. Even next year's 2nd wouldn't be good enough. Might as well keep him and hope that playing for his and his family's favourite club can override the fact he is homesick. Make him put in a good pre-season (seriously, Heppell should attach himself to Francis with a bull rope and never let him out of his sight), give him some more opportunities in the senior team next year, and see if it finally clicks for him.

I'd honestly rather take the risk on him having a shitty 2018 and ruining his value even more, rather than seeing him go on to win the Rising Star at another club after we traded him for a crappy 2nd rounder.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  22. Dons4days

Dons4days All Australian

Essendon
    Other teams:
    New York Knicks, Dallas Cowboys
    If Dodoro turned Francis into wines we might as call him the second coming... Way more impressive than turning water into wine :D

23. ant555

ant555 The Oracle

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Vermont FC

At stage stage he could only play a couple of quarters of footy. You do know it is more damaging to continually play someone who does not have the fitness level required to play at the highest level ? What is better ? play 3 or 4 senior games and break down with another injury ? or go back to the seconds where you can have a managed program with a certain amount of game time and a long steady build into the next pre season ?

If he wanted more opportunity then maybe he should have trained a bit harder early on..... the some reason he was dropped was fitness based. He was cooked after the game. The 10 worse players still had a fitness level well above his.

24. Eleven 38

Eleven 38 Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Canucks, Cowboys, Renegades
    There was clear reasons Francis wasn't picked and it wasn't because Watson and Howlett were. Need to move on from that

You just can't gift games to young players. It doesn't help in anyway. They may not be mature at 18-20 But they need to be atleast professional to get games.

25. ant555

ant555 The Oracle

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Vermont FC

Not sure he is massively discontented. They have just said he is homesick and would prefer to go him if a deal could be made.