Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

Another positive re Francis playing senior footy next year is that there simply isn't any question as to his position. The nonsense around playing him forward is surely gone now with stringer joe hooker Stewart T bell, laverde etc all ahead of him up front.

With hooker likely remaining forward we are short a third tall down back. Hartley nothing more than depth IMO. Ambrose a reasonable holding defender. Francis would complement the back line really well should he be able to play his natural game. Third tall seemed obvious from the start so hope to see it consistently this year

What odds? Do you think the media will fall in love with him.
I got $21 at sportsbet. I just think all the talk is the talent of this years draft pool isn't actually that great plus Francis is a very eye catching player and has now had two pre-seasons. If he cements a spot in our defensive 50 as a third tall intercepter I think the AFL community will take notice, doesn't hurt either that he's got red flowing locks.

I think 2018 more than other years will likely have a RS winner from a second or third year player.

Have Hawthorn got a potential competitor for the rising star award?

Two years in a row would just be hilarious.

Who are we more excited about at absolute full flight beast mode? Stringer or Francis?

Have Hawthorn got a potential competitor for the rising star award?

Two years in a row would just be hilarious.

Who are we more excited about at absolute full flight beast mode? Stringer or Francis?
Lovell, Glass and Worpel are the three most likely. Doubt it though, all three would be in and out of the side.

Witherden the most likely IMO

I got $21 at sportsbet. I just think all the talk is the talent of this years draft pool isn't actually that great plus Francis is a very eye catching player and has now had two pre-seasons. If he cements a spot in our defensive 50 as a third tall intercepter I think the AFL community will take notice, doesn't hurt either that he's got red flowing locks.

I think 2018 more than other years will likely have a RS winner from a second or third year player.

Unless he gets injured, Alex Witherden will win easily. Money bet on Francis is money better spent elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to know his comparative time trial results. We only ever seem to get the best 10 or so results released to the public. No mention of him getting a personal best either.
Probably trying not to over-hype him too much. Definitely a bit of a shame that we can't find out everyone's times, but you'd think (or at least hope) Francis would've improved on whatever his time was last year.

Top 8:

1. Patrick Ambrose
2. Kobe Mutch
3. Dylan Clarke
4. Mason Redman
5. Kyle Langford
6. David Zaharakis
7. Josh Begley
7. Martin Gleeson

The article stated Colyer running a PB this year and last year he finished in the top 10 which is a great sign. So great signs that we have probably improved the fitness group. No doubt we've drafted some really good endurance runners in Begley, Mutch and Clarke.

Surprised to see Gleeson there

However the most surprised player who i was a big fan of when drafted is Mason Redman. I dont think from his draft camp days he was a top end endurance runner but now has put himself in the elite category.

Top 8:

1. Patrick Ambrose
2. Kobe Mutch
3. Dylan Clarke
4. Mason Redman
5. Kyle Langford
6. David Zaharakis
7. Josh Begley
7. Martin Gleeson

Patrick Ambrose shouldn't count! Very excited to see Mutch and Langford there as potential improvements to our midfield. However, Begley has real excitement machine potential through the middle and Gleeson getting in there (Combined with Hurley playing more as a KPP) means there is genuine room for Franga to come in and play the role he's best at.

Patrick Ambrose shouldn't count! Very excited to see Mutch and Langford there as potential improvements to our midfield. However, Begley has real excitement machine potential through the middle and Gleeson getting in there (Combined with Hurley playing more as a KPP) means there is genuine room for Franga to come in and play the role he's best at.
There's no chance we play Gleeson as a KPP, he's not strong enough for it (or tall enough in all honesty) to play on big forwards full time. He's an intercepting small-medium defender.

As for Francis I'm still hoping we use him as a key forward, but obviously he feels more comfortable down back, so we'll have to wait and see.

There's no chance we play Gleeson as a KPP, he's not strong enough for it (or tall enough in all honesty) to play on big forwards full time. He's an intercepting small-medium defender.

As for Francis I'm still hoping we use him as a key forward, but obviously he feels more comfortable down back, so we'll have to wait and see.

I meant Gleeson more as a running back who can intercept and Hurley as a KPP who can intercept and franga also as an intercepting 3rd tall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back