Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

Have a feeling his go home factor is still there even though hes contracted for 2 more

Hes in a position where hes shown enough that hed be guaranteed solid money for another 4 years minimum at an AFL club whether ours or a SA team

Just whether he wants to take his game to 2 levels up and get paid really good coin. I think thats a big mental hurdle for him now and not talent impacted

I think he will develop into a quality 2nd tall/big defender but is also suited to those explosive mid/forward with low centre of gravity

Id like to see the club give him far more kick in duties he has the ability to hit targets like Lewis Jetta through the zone defense and across the body kicks that are unexpecting

Cant see how hed lack too much against guys like Darling, Riewoldt, Gunston, Mihocek, J.Cameron

But also take guys like Dusty, Danger, Rohan, Petracca, Dangerfield, Degoey, M.Wallis, Fyfe when they go deep

Hes no shorter than Gardiner, Grimes, Kolo, Harry T and probably has weight on his side

He probably needs to buy into being a better one vs one defender and i cant see why he cant be very good at this whilst still getting his IPs he has the attributes with speed, strength, size. Similar to say a Maynard plays now but bigger

Don’t mind the idea of using him as the guy kicking in, leaving Ridley as a target (being the more mobile of the pair).

Basically he needs to be Shannon Hurn.

Big issue is his tank, I think if he gets it up to scratch where he can stay involved and with a 2nd tall or a medium type like a DeGoey or Dangerfield then he’s got the aerial ability to be a genuinely good player.

Don’t mind the idea of using him as the guy kicking in, leaving Ridley as a target (being the more mobile of the pair).

Basically he needs to be Shannon Hurn.

Big issue is his tank, I think if he gets it up to scratch where he can stay involved and with a 2nd tall or a medium type like a DeGoey or Dangerfield then he’s got the aerial ability to be a genuinely good player.
Can’t trust him kicking in atm, tries to bite off too much a few times a game and kicks it straight down the oppositions throat.

Mahoney is today's Hun.

“We think with the way we want to play defensively, we want to put high pressure on the ball carrier so that should allow for guys to be intercept players, whether it’s Jordan or whether it’s a guy like Aaron Francis.”

YES PLEASE

#interceptor

More of dis plz A-A-Ron

Preferably getting the knee square in the back of Saad's skull next time.

I think we've identified the real reason Saad wanted to move. He realised Francis was going to be posterising him all year long if he stayed, now he'll be at the opposite end of the field to Francis when they're in the same game.

I think we've identified the real reason Saad wanted to move. He realised Francis was going to be posterising him all year long if he stayed, now he'll be at the opposite end of the field to Francis when they're in the same game.
Well with all the other positional changes we are making, why not send him forward when we play Carlton. :p

Mahoney is today's Hun.

“We think with the way we want to play defensively, we want to put high pressure on the ball carrier so that should allow for guys to be intercept players, whether it’s Jordan or whether it’s a guy like Aaron Francis.”

YES PLEASE

#interceptor
So what he's saying is that Ridley and Francis are competing for the same spot..?

I don't get why people have this idea that only one player can be "the interceptor". All the flag sides since Geelong had 2-3 guys who were very good at chopping off attacks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get why people have this idea that only one player can be "the interceptor". All the flag sides since Geelong had 2-3 guys who were very good at chopping off attacks
I think the word interceptor has become code for "zones off and doesn't have to otherwise defend".

Those Geelong guys were both great defenders and great at marking the footy. That's what we want.

I think the word interceptor has become code for "zones off and doesn't have to otherwise defend".

Those Geelong guys were both great defenders and great at marking the footy. That's what we want.
Yep, same with Hawthorne with Lake, Hodge and Gibson, and Richmond with Vlaustin, Rance and Grimes.

Is there any update to this blokes ankle? Have zero confidence in this blokes body, just looks so injury prone.

If it's just a rolled ankle he'll probably play against Geelong and maybe just strap it for a while. Little point in risking him doing damage against Carlton in a preseason game once it was clear he'd tweaked it a little.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back