Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

10 - Frang.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2022
Injury Status: n/a

My Boy Draft 2022: Pick 29, Mr Bultitude

Last edited by a moderator:

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
The only thing that worries me is the extra attention he’s going to get by the media as he gets better seems like a bloke that doesn’t like the limelight but potentially a player that ends up not having a choice.

Not many backman get too much attention. Dual AA Michael Hurley seems a similar type as far as avoiding the limelight and he seems fine .

Jul 6, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal, Pacers
Heres a horrifying thought experiment for you...

Imagine one of the SA clubs had a set of nuts and had taken Francis off our hands for a 4th round pick when he was offered up.

And he finished the year the way he did then turned up at preseason looking like that.

You'd throw yourself off a ******* bridge wouldn't you??

I don't think there's any way we were accepting a 4th rounder. I always interpreted the quotes at the time (http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-10-09/francis-trade-update) that we were open to the idea of trading him, but as we rated him highly we weren't just going to give him away, so probably an early second rounder at an absolute minimum.

Your point still applies because I'd be gutted watching him do to us what he did to Port, even if we had got a pick like that back, but let's not go overboard - I reckon he's gone if a 4th would have done it.

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
The only thing that worries me is the extra attention he’s going to get by the media as he gets better seems like a bloke that doesn’t like the limelight but potentially a player that ends up not having a choice.

I think that might have been the problem but he seems to be coming to grips with it and may eventually thrive off it.

Aug 15, 2009
Donaldsons Dairy
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea
According to training goers on BB the big fella has... Trained/Training with Jobes ex boxing coach in the off season with the mind of playing some midfield minutes, Has been involved in the midfield and defensive group so far this off season.
If he gets super fit he’ll be a Keanu Reeves.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Apparently training with the midfield group :eek:

Guessing they want to build his tank and have him roam a bit more up the field.

Francis pushing up as part of a zone defence will be a nightmare for opposition; the way McGovern shuts down huge portions of the field because he can read the play and mark so well.

Back