Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

In a best 22, I’d have him as a swingman from the bench. As much as I think that settling him in one position will benefit his confidence I also think his attributes are best suited to filling a need as the specific game dictates. This means that you can have a third tall forward and a third tall back with Frang essentially their chop-out when rotating. He’s a burst player and I’d love to see him fully embrace that role and become a match-winner/saver to suit the occasion.

You mean Redman or Ambrose? Or one of the smalls who guard zippy smalls who run a lot?

If it had to come down to a choice between Francis, Ambrose and Redman, yeah I’d play Francis without doubt. He has the highest ceiling and we’re not winning a flag this year.

I’m not convinced that’s the choice though.

I’m not marking him down for trying to create something, but he’s finding the tempo. 3rd tall defender in a settled side as opposed to chf in a struggling side may as well be a different sport

I have no doubt the awareness issues are partially down to the fact he is now playing in the forward half more.

When you play as a tall defender the play generally unfolds with everyone in front of you, the instances where you need to be aware of people behind you is much rarer.

At the moment he just isnt aware of pressure being put on from bheind, as sucj he is taking too long with ball in hand.

That is fine when you take the mark and have time to go back, but tonight he couldnt mark anything and as such always looked a chance of being mown down. Is really a defender and needs to play there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just needs to have a red hot crack. Picks and chooses when he is on. It's not just him, efforts of a few of our players are inconsistent within games. He is just a glaring one, as he is almost our great white hope

Hooker was interviewed after the game and it’s in today’s Hun where he said he’s nice and settled in the backline and back six working well together. He also said he’s been working with Francis and giving him tips on playing forward, said should stick with him up forward

He's playing with different forwards each week, would make it difficult to learn.

He's probably more suited down back, but we have a full backline and all our forwards are injured.

The season is over. Better to get games into him no matter where he's playing. If he's back he can learn off our defenders. If he's forward he can learn off the opposition defenders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back