Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

Love having him in the team, I'd prefer he play centre square that Viney at this point too.

Reality however is Viney is on our list ‘til 2025. The club has made the decision that he’s the primary inside bulldozer from here on in. And that’s that.

Two into one position does not go.

How could you work Brayshaw into a trade for either Maynard or Billings?
Would have to be a 3 way trade. Neither Collingwood or Saints are doing a straight swap.

Like Gus to Freo/WC/GC/Sydney etc for a 2nd rounder and flip it to Pies and something else for Maynard.

I haven't minded Brayshaw on the wing, I'd prefer him in the middle over Viney, but all the crap over the pre-season about players being more selfless and sacrificing their own game for the good of the team, Brayshaw is one player who has lived up to that. He is still our best option on that wing.

I haven't minded Brayshaw on the wing, I'd prefer him in the middle over Viney, but all the crap over the pre-season about players being more selfless and sacrificing their own game for the good of the team, Brayshaw is one player who has lived up to that. He is still our best option on that wing.

This is a bit hyperbolic, we wouldn't be top of the ladder if this was even close to true.

Meh. Gawn, Langdon, Spargo, AnB, Fritsch, Pig, Tmac etc have all added huge defensive sides to their game to the detriment of their attacking play
I agree with you, other than Gawn- he's given me the shits this year, always looking for the Hollywood tap-out, he's been well out of sorts around the ground last 8 weeks as well IMO.

I agree with you, other than Gawn- he's given me the shits this year, always looking for the Hollywood tap-out, he's been well out of sorts around the ground last 8 weeks as well IMO.
Sure but he's also sacrificed alot of being the main man to get Jackson minutes so that Gawn can play around the ground.

Brayshaws been s**t but if we are giving out credit for just defensive work Gawns doing it aswell

Think he’s been decent on the wing, needs to stop kicking them out on the full though, such a momentum killer, just needs to choose the simpler option.

Do enjoy his pod with Gawn too.

Sure but he's also sacrificed alot of being the main man to get Jackson minutes so that Gawn can play around the ground.

Brayshaws been sh*t but if we are giving out credit for just defensive work Gawns doing it aswell

He hasn't set the world on fire but he's been far from s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a sad state of affairs that expectations around Gus have sunk to point where he's receiving his only praise for defensive work, you can get any mug footballer to do that.

Feels like a lot of supporters just like him as a person (which is fine) and are using anything they can to defend his position in the team coz he's a good bloke.

Its a sad state of affairs that expectations around Gus have sunk to point where he's receiving his only praise for defensive work, you can get any mug footballer to do that.

Feels like a lot of supporters just like him as a person (which is fine) and are using anything they can to defend his position in the team coz he's a good bloke.
Legit. The highlight of his season was he made some spoils against the dogs. That's it.

Viney had 32 and 10 tackles or something like that but he was a disgrace while Gus gets a pass.

nothing to do with him as a bloke, but who would you have take his spot in the team?

I'd put Jordan to the wing and bring in a Chandler/Bedford type to give more help to the forward types.
i think you overrate those two smalls, neither are lighting the vfl alight and if they were really good then they'd probably have got games at some stage over ANB/Spargo

i think you overrate those two smalls, neither are lighting the vfl alight and if they were really good then they'd probably have got games at some stage over ANB/Spargo
No one's lighting the VFL alight. There's been * all games and they've been spaced out. Ideally Bowey comes in but he might not be ready for AFL level

Interesting to note that Brayshaw and Gawn said Jordon has been playing on Brayshaw's wing the last few weeks. Has anyone seen any tangible improvement? Judging by the above commentary, it doesn't seem like it.

No one's lighting the VFL alight. There's been fu** all games and they've been spaced out. Ideally Bowey comes in but he might not be ready for AFL level
yep true, although we really haven't seen anything from either two that suggests they can perform at the highest level. It appears they've pigeon-holed Bowey in a Caleb Daniel like distributor role off half back, so they won't bring him in to play forward when he's been playing back. He's definitely AFL ready though, pretty strong, think he'll be a star.

Interesting to note that Brayshaw and Gawn said Jordon has been playing on Brayshaw's wing the last few weeks. Has anyone seen any tangible improvement? Judging by the above commentary, it doesn't seem like it.
What does this even mean? If Gus isn't even playing on the wing then why is he in the team. He doesn't add anything offensively. So if there's been no difference then we don't need him on the wing like people keep pushing

nothing to do with him as a bloke, but who would you have take his spot in the team?

This year the cake is set. Not too many levers we can pull. Heading into 2022 however, a player with pace and skill who is naturally suited to playing on a wing.

Have to give up to get. That’s the way it works unless there’s a suitable FA.

I'm definitely in this category. Seems like a great clubman and good character. Disappointed he hasn't really come on. I'd say it's mindset, you can hear it in the way he talks about most things. He seems to like to frame things in a way that he's always the smart one, right one or talented one, rather than a competitive or learning mindset. That's gonna sound like a mad dig, but I don't mean it to be. Just sounds similar to me as a young guy always more concerned with people thinking I had potential then actually putting it all on the line.

Will have grossly underachieved if he ends his career as a mediocre role player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back