Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

Played a hell of a defensive game last night. Set the tone early with smothers and pressure. Sure his disposal still needs work but he was crucial for us and won't get the plaudits as he's doing a lot of things that aren't flashy.

I thought he was superb in all aspects except his kicking. How has his kicking become such a liability??? He was never elite but he’s gone from 7/10 on both feet to a very inconsistent 4/10.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought he was superb in all aspects except his kicking. How has his kicking become such a liability??? He was never elite but he’s gone from 7/10 on both feet to a very inconsistent 4/10.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Spot on, loved the effort but hes nothing more than a fringe battler at this point. Career has taken a massive nose dive in the space of 3 years

Last edited:
I think if you put him back in the midfield he’d be back up pretty quickly.

His disposal is hideous. Would just butcher it more than he does now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If only this guy could kick...

Played a great defensive wing role last night. Held his position well, didn't get sucked into the contest at all and was courageous in the air and on the ground. Terrific game apart from his kicking.

I fn love Gus. I thought he was great in the first quarter especially, had to put his body on the line and got crunched a bunch of times. Never shirked a contest. Disposal on par with Petracca or Viney really, had a few howlers but he’s not alone there.

I fn love Gus. I thought he was great in the first quarter especially, had to put his body on the line and got crunched a bunch of times. Never shirked a contest. Disposal on par with Petracca or Viney really, had a few howlers but he’s not alone there.
Exactly this. We saw Trac shank a number of kicks too. Brayshaw took hits all night and that smother in the first had Kosi and Spargo up and about. I feel he and Clarry we’re both setting the scene early.

Some things you wouldn't have seen on the TV was him screaming out from the opposite wing during boundary throw ins, telling players where to go and who to pick up. Him and Lever were the two voices I heard the most last night at the ground.
Other thing I love about him is that when someone kicks a big goal, lays a good tackle, or smother he's always first to celebrate and give them a pat on the back.

His disposal is hideous. Would just butcher it more than he does now.

Nah he'd win the ball in tight and handball to the outside. Would never be an A-grader but could be a very solid inside mid.

Think people are overrating his game, it was ok but nothing special. Langdon was way better. Was probably a 6/10 game which for Gus is a 10/10 because he's s**t

Gus played a good game, as per gets rated as a superstar here for his good one in every 6 game.

He ain't as good a kick as Trac. Trac *s kicks like drunk mule but he also hits them on the run from 50. Brayshaw just sucks at kicking.

As for the 'well he would be midfield gun' well he ain't. That's why we play Sparrow and Harmes etc. Having a slow no directional changing inside mid isn't good for your side.

He's an endurance runner who evidently holds his width. That's where he's at.

He wasn't even top 5 for distance run, ANB ran more yet had more disposals and uses it better every single game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back