Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
He didn't go off the rails he likes partying and doesn't love footy.
The bloke grew up and had never heard of Wayne Carey.

Kozzys mum passed away, he was way younger.

You can have a bad couple weeks hell maybe a month. You don't get a life pass.
Could have been some factors of both. But yeah at the end of the day, an adult person becomes answerable to their mistakes regardless. All else becomes chaos. You can understand that someone had pressures on them, but that doesn’t mean some kind of exemption from the choices you make.

One thing I do like about Jesse is that I haven’t seen a tell all media piece where he is featured asking for love and sympathy. He could probably bring in some cash that way, and maybe join Beams on that celebrity thingy, but has some more self respect for now

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Could have been some factors of both. But yeah at the end of the day, an adult person becomes answerable to their mistakes regardless. All else becomes chaos. You can understand that someone had pressures on them, but that doesn’t mean some kind of exemption from the choices you make.

One thing I do like about Jesse is that I haven’t seen a tell all media piece where he is featured asking for love and sympathy. He could probably bring in some cash that way, and maybe join Beams on that celebrity thingy, but has some more self respect for now
Probably cause he hates doing media lol but yeah I wouldn't give a stuff if he got arrested a few times if he played great footy but he hasn't for 3 full years now. That's gotta be on him

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Probably cause he hates doing media lol but yeah I wouldn't give a stuff if he got arrested a few times if he played great footy but he hasn't for 3 full years now. That's gotta be on him
Yeah I reckon he might look back one day and see that he really missed his chance. If he hasn’t already. But I don’t see him as the type to want attention or sympathy and I respect him for that.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yeah I reckon he might look back one day and see that he really missed his chance. If he hasn’t already. But I don’t see him as the type to want attention or sympathy and I respect him for that.
He could have and should have had atleast the equal career of a Riewoldt/Hawkins.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
He could have and should have had atleast the equal career of a Riewoldt/Hawkins.
He will realise it one day too. Plenty of young people have wasted their gifts though. He just did it under the spotlight. On the flip side I guess is that he made some cash doing so - hope he’s invested some wisely

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
Hoges did start putting together some solid form with GWS late in the year. If his body stays right he could still have a solid career, he seemed to have some competitiveness back.

Yeah he was certainly looking promising in the tail end of the season, I was certain he wasn't going to make it back from his initial foot injury.

He just has too many injuries to carry a team but he could be a big X-factor in the finals if GWS make it next year.

His body is cooked anyway. Played relatively well in his first final then got injured. Pretty sad for him that his body won’t go where his mind seems to be going and help him become a serious player

Before Trac went nuts, he was so critical. We looked a little sluggish in the third but brayshaw put his body into every contest demanded of him, and he got up time and time again.

Not as flashy as trac but i feel like brayshaw helped inspire his teammates with truly gutsy brave footy

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
I havfe never ever slandered this champion. Couple times some bloke broke into my house and didn't take anytging other than drinking my booze and saying we should trade Gus for a second round pick. That's it though. ******* legend.

Apr 10, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
That period where he took that crazy mark in the forward fifty (he dived headfirst with no idea what was coming the other way... and he's one bad concussion away from retired), then smashed that pack in the defensive fifty was incredible.

He was the one who lead the team energetically in that moment. He said to the group "we've gotta f*ckin' win this".

Legendary performance from a guy who every week sacrifices his own game for the good of the team.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Please change thread title to "The Legend of Angus Brayshaw, he of GF excellence, feeding us all humble pie."

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Brayshaw lead by example. he hit the Bulldogs hard all game and put his body on the line many times while working hard forward and back all game to help out his team mates. he did a couple of poor kicks but overall i thought he was bloody huge for us last night.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
The turning point was probably when he spoilt the mark (was it Naughten or Shache) or his diving mark and goal. Take your pick.

Back