Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

Absurd. There’s a lot of s**t since R10 that doesn’t make sense. I can only hope Goody is insane and is going to unleash some things during finals that they’ve moronically been holding back
Had Majak 'retire' to play ammos at North Heidelberg to be cherry ripe for a QF hail Mary play!

I hate that none of our mids ever rest forward, and none of our half forwards run through the middle. Gus is actually great at using his body in a marking contest, why does he never drift forward and try beat an opponent.
Oliver I'm not sure has ever even been inside fitty and Trac I'm betting refuses to because he can't kick for s**t so doesn't want it kicked to him.

It's weird because I was looking for Trac all game and felt like he was barely sighted despite 24 possessions.

Both Oliver and Trac have the size and strength to create a mismatch up there, so would be nice if they could spend more time there when we roll Gus, Harmes and others through. Spargo and ANB can't do it, but I'm still a fan of Salem up the ground sometimes.

12 clearances and 38 touches the other day. He’s definitely a very good midfielder, although I prefer him at HBF
Who gives a s**t how many disposals he got. That's the exact problem with our midfield it's all about disposals not what you do with them.

0 goals assists, 3 marks
2 score involvements from 38 disposals, 12 turnovers. Every third disposal almost was a turnover.

Angus Brayshaw as a midfielder in a nutshell, win ball. Turn either left or right on 3 steps and kick it as far as possible. He's a disposal **** who can find it alot when Oliver's being tagged.

He was a *load better defender but woo 38 disposals must be a legend.

It must be in his contract to kick it out on the full at least once per game.
I’m always a bit relieved if he does this in the first quarter - feels like hopefully he has it out of his system early.

What's everyone's thoughts on his best position for next year - on ball, wing or back flank?

I actually think wing. He's better than JJ and hopefully Salem/Rivers/Bowey can all improve and take ownership of that small/mid sized defensive group.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What's everyone's thoughts on his best position for next year - on ball, wing or back flank?

I actually think wing. He's better than JJ and hopefully Salem/Rivers/Bowey can all improve and take ownership of that small/mid sized defensive group.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Half back IMO. Feel like his year on the wing in 2021 was slightly overrated due to a good finals series.

This year, at half back, was the first time I've ever thought "yeah, this guy is pretty damn good".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hilarious how many were clambering for him to go inside then after 6 games they've completely disappeared

He played pretty well against Freo when he was spending time in the mid and half back. No idea why hes suddenly become a full time mid again, has to be some bs promise we made to him to re-sign.

Piss weak by the club honestly if so, thats the tail wagging the dog. If he wanted to make it all about what's best for him and not the team we absolutely should have let him walk.

He played pretty well against Freo when he was spending time in the mid and half back. No idea why hes suddenly become a full time mid again, has to be some bs promise we made to him to re-sign.

Piss weak by the club honestly if so, thats the tail wagging the dog. If he wanted to make it all about what's best for him and not the team we absolutely should have let him walk.
Of course it was in the contract. What are the odds he spends a couple years wing and hb and then the literal week of his contract he goes inside? 100% barrelled the club and we piss weakly went for it. I'm off him again selfish flog.

Of course it was in the contract. What are the odds he spends a couple years wing and hb and then the literal week of his contract he goes inside? 100% barrelled the club and we piss weakly went for it. I'm off him again selfish flog.

Im more pissed at the club for caving if true than Gus honestly.

Pretty safe to say we aren't winning another flag anytime soon when these are the types of calls we make. Allowing players to dictate you is a terrible way to go about things and will only encourage others to do so.

Im more pissed at the club for caving if true than Gus honestly.
Both. The club needs to be way bigger and tougher but Gus is a 'leader' and one of the culture drivers and having that selfish of a mindset flows into Jackson, flows into Fritsch etc.

Wouldn't be surprised if his podcast mate was pushing it behind the scenes as well

Assuming this theory is true, it's not like it's enforceable. It's just like when Collingwood recruited Howe telling him he could play forward. Obviously he was s**t at it and they sent him back where he belong in not much time. "Sorry mate we gave it ago, back to the flank or * off to Freo"

Pretty safe to say we aren't winning another flag anytime soon when these are the types of calls we make. Allowing players to dictate you is a terrible way to go about things and will only encourage others to do so.
Ya mean like how none of the senior players who are mates with Gus and Gawn were dropped? No evidence of that 🙂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back