Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Same here. Back when I was around 20 in the days of the over 28’s nights at various suburban dives. “Grab a Granny Night” as we called it.
My housemate in my early 20s was like Lindsay Thomas in front of goals circa 2011 when it came to women around his own age, but was as popular as the farmer at feed time when it came to anyone a decade-plus older. It frustrated him no end at the time, and with hindsight & divorce 20 years later he's frustrated the didn't take advantage of it at the time!

I've tried to pick up a few old cows over the years.

Unsuccessfully, for the most part.
You may need to talk to TAO, LtK. He seems to know a bit about this. Well so he says.

wow- no old cows picked up gentlemen, I'm too vain and narcissistic for that.

not that i really understand the below chart, but apparently thems the rules. I still work on " if you don't ask you won't know" principle. I'm 52 so reckon mid 20's is a fair starting point 🤷‍♂️

1597314166036.png

I am sure they will do there due diligence to assess the severity of the injury. Nerve damage can be very serious.
Love Cunnington but from a business point of view, if they find out that he is going to miss the majority of 2021 then I wouldn't be against trading him. Unpopular view I know but nothing would be worse for us and Cunners if he is going to miss another whole season. Best case, the nerve damage is fixed and he can start running in October 2020. Interesting times.

Good decision as season over anyway.

Really concerned it might never come right so fingers crossed I guess.

Last edited:
I am sure they will do there due diligence to assess the severity of the injury. Nerve damage can be very serious.
Love Cunnington but from a business point of view, if they find out that he is going to miss the majority of 2021 then I wouldn't be against trading him. Unpopular view I know but nothing would be worse for us and Cunners if he is going to miss another whole season. Best case, the nerve damage is fixed and he can start running in October 2020. Interesting times.
If the injury is THAT bad, why would anyone want to trade in a player who'll be 30 before they can play again, and has that history of a bad back? I'm sure any club would do their due diligence with medicals.

Having said that, I'm hopeful the injury won't be that bad and he'll be ready to play again by round 1 next year.

Marstermind

When was the last time a reigning Syd Barkerologist had this sort of back up season?

Peter Bell? Left to become a Fremantle player. Couldn't be much worse than that.

Carey probably had his worst season at North in 1997 after doing his shoulder in Round 1. Nothing as bad as Cunnington this year. Can't think of too many others.

I hope the last one to leave turns the lights out. I've heard it all this week. Im all for a big clean out but apparently at least 16 players are being shown the door, Ziebell should retire, Goldstein, Polec and Higgins will want out and Brown and now Cunnington should be trade bait. People do realise that we can't have 20 draft picks and we are required to field a team next year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn’t strike me as the bloke who wants to play long past 30.
Long held the belief he'll go out while still performing at a high standard. He's still pure country. Wants to work with cattle, go on fishing trips, and raise a small family. All easier and more enjoyable when you're younger and haven't destroyed your body trying to eek an extra couple of years out of your career.

Is he a genuine chance to retire if his back is seriously rooted?
I couldn't see him leaving the club in the state we're in at the moment.
This year has shown quite clearly that 1) we don't win when he's not out there, and 2) we don't have anyone yet who can replace him

Long held the belief he'll go out while still performing at a high standard. He's still pure country. Wants to work with cattle, go on fishing trips, and raise a small family. All easier and more enjoyable when you're younger and haven't destroyed your body trying to eek an extra couple of years out of your career.

City life might've changed him more than expected though. Stevo was tracking in a very similar fashion but is now a lot more outspoken and in a town a lot than you've have expected earlier in his footy career.

Reality of a severely reduced pay packet might dawn on a family setting up for 2 fast-growing children too. Never thought I'd see Drew chasing a retirement year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back