Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Even last year, as good as he was, I didn't think we'd be talking about whether he is or isn't the best player in the comp right now.

He has a genuine stake to that claim. #2 as voted by the coaches (in a team outside the 8), and quite easily the best inside player in the competition. If he could kick a goal a game, we'd be talking Brownlow. Unless he pulls a Priddis, I think it's unlikely. Still, a meteoric rise.

AdmiralBenson

All Australian
May 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I just wish he'd follow instructions.

Under Scott it was important to handball to a fellow players feet to ruin play, 5 metres away, at every opportunity.

He continually breaks this rule of last 5 years.

Last edited:
Nice to see on the Main Board AA thread that Cunners has gone from a honourable mention, to a bench spot, to starting on-baller in most people's team over the course of the year.

Wrote this on Twitter but I’ll say it again. Elite does not even begin to describe this footage. After two don’t argues and a pirouette he has the vision and skill in congestion, tucked up against the boundary line to nail a 30 metre handball over an opposition player’s head to a running North player who does not have to break stride..... FREAK!!!!

Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wrote this on Twitter but I’ll say it again. Elite does not even begin to describe this footage. After two don’t argues and a pirouette he has the vision and skill in congestion, tucked up against the boundary line to nail a 30 metre handball over an opposition player’s head to a running North player who does not have to break stride..... FREAK!!!!
He also had time to stumble and right himself.

FB_IMG_1562209605811.jpg

Last edited:

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Listen from 9:30. A few minutes of Scott Pendelbury waxing lyrical about our man. Great to hear the respect he has from fellow pros, and from one of the most widely respected players in the comp himself, no less. Even makes note of his elite decision making and disposal, which we know gets criminally overlooked in the discussion about him.

I very much expect them to just go head to head.

I went to the Saints preseason practice match at Werribee this year and St Kilda smashed us pretty comprehensively. I remember they looked very strong and touched us up physically.

Times have changed but I imagine they will go head to head as well, they have a few hard bodies as well.

AdmiralBenson

All Australian
May 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hmmmm. Dunno.
Cunners is hard to beat head on. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to lock as per GWS.

Back