Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Bloody good game.

Won't get a tighter tag than that and he was critical in opening play up for us - by foot as well as creating space for Jy, etc.

He and the coaches have learnt and adapted quickly. Loved seeing him spend time forward.

The one handed mark in the final term was the most pure combination of brute strength and finesse that you will see.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Bit of love in this

"Collingwood great Tony Shaw watched on with admiration from the 3AW radio box as Cunnington's left hand punched holes in his beloved Magpies."

Well, I have barred up.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
"Stomach Sniper".

I love it. Yum yum yum.

He's a jumper sniper too!

He almost killed Stringer!

My favourite thing about Ben is his perfect kicks off one step. They are truly laser-like. It’s starting to rub off on some of our other guys as well, which can’t be a bad thing. Unfortunately, I’m convinced we’re going to lose him for a game at some stage in the run-in. Those tummy punches are very instinctive. There’s no way that he can remove that from his play without backing off on his intensity. We don’t want him to do that, either. If we’re still in the finals mix, fingers crossed Higgins is back before Ben’s next tummy indiscretion.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
My favourite thing about Ben is his perfect kicks off one step. They are truly laser-like. It’s starting to rub off on some of our other guys as well, which can’t be a bad thing. Unfortunately, I’m convinced we’re going to lose him for a game at some stage in the run-in. Those tummy punches are very instinctive. There’s no way that he can remove that from his play without backing off on his intensity. We don’t want him to do that, either. If we’re still in the finals mix, fingers crossed Higgins is back before Ben’s next tummy indiscretion.

If he had an extra yard of pace he would have 5 x Brownlows & 5 x AFL MVP's.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
His record in finals isn't outstanding. He's had a couple of bigger games and a bunch where he's had 20-22 touches. Was excellent vs * of course.

Obviously he is a different beast now though.

susurrar

All Australian
Apr 30, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
His record in finals isn't outstanding. He's had a couple of bigger games and a bunch where he's had 20-22 touches. Was excellent vs * of course.

Obviously he is a different beast now though.

i disagree. i think his finals record is outstanding. some of those 20-22 touch games were exceptional. unfortunately for us, no else else came close to his consistency in that time.

i cant find the syd votes for 2015 to get a better idea of how the coaches rated those games. will go by memory and champion data.

2012 EF - 4/5 syd votes (our best player imo)
2014 EF - 4/5 syd votes (our best player imo)
2014 SF - 1/5 syd votes (his least good final but still in our best 10 or so)
2014 PF - 2/5 syd votes (top 3 player)
2015 EF - top 8 player (cd rating)
2015 SF - top 5 player (cd rating)
2015 PF - top 2 player (our best player imo)
2016 EF - 10/20 syd votes (top 3 player)

so all of his finals were good to excellent. he was clearly in our top few players in 6 out of 8 and arguably our BOG in several of those.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
Yeah I don't think being in our top few players for each final would qualify him as being "outstanding" as I wouldn't say our team record in finals has been all that great.

Him being one of our best finals players is a different story though; that's objectively true.

Yeah I don't think being in our top few players for each final would qualify him as being "outstanding" as I wouldn't say our team record in finals has been all that great.

Him being one of our best finals players is a different story though; that's objectively true.

Pretty tough to be outstanding when your team was obliterated though... I think susurrar is on the mark with this.

Thewlis Dish

Boomerfan99

Premiership Player
Jun 22, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Nuggets
CUNNINGTON%20Ben_draft_246_meetc.jpg

Height: 186cm
Weight: 84kg
DOB: 30/06/91
Recruited from: Cobden
Bio: Skilful inside midfielder/forward who rarely loses a contest. Ultra clean hands both in the air and on the ground. Strong performer for Vic Country at NAB AFL U18 Championships earning All-Australian honours.
Matt Burgan's draft rating: 3-10

Watch Ben Cunnington in action

What type of player are you?
In and under pack player, tough, competitive, ferocious attack on the ball.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble, and why?
Luke Hodge - tough, competitive, courageous.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Competitiveness, agility, awareness, hard at it.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
My speed and endurance.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Brisbane Lions - Leigh Matthews' game style. He picks people for selection who are willing to put their head over the football at all times.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
Garry Hocking - my coach for two years at Geelong Falcons. Assists me with my game, for example if I am being tagged he will help me out.

Maybe we need Garry Hocking as a tagging coach now.

Back