Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Will miss out due to "team balance"

Yeah the same team balance will have Danger at full forward with Brown missing...

Cunners dropped off a bit in the last few weeks but only Neal has been the consistent mid for the year. Even Kelly has dropped off. Danger quiet early, Dunkley too.

Yeah the same team balance will have Danger at full forward with Brown missing...

Cunners dropped off a bit in the last few weeks but only Neal has been the consistent mid for the year. Even Kelly has dropped off. Danger quiet early, Dunkley too.

This is putting it lightly. His second half of the season was very ordinary.

None of us should be upset when he doesn't make the team.

This is putting it lightly. His second half of the season was very ordinary.

None of us should be upset when he doesn't make the team.

But very few of us will actually be happy that he doesn't make the team. I suspect you're in that small minority, given your continual critical posting of Ben.

It's my hobby horse but there is more than a leg speed issue to Ben's game.

He drops to the Kung Fu horse position and spectates as opposing mids just meander out of contests an awful lot.

His tackle numbers are not bad per se but the misconception that he has a consistently purposeful attack on the man is as misguided as thinking he's just a blue collar grunt based on his no frills appearance.

In short because he's such a gifted ball winner and user, imo when his first option fails (ie win ball) he just stands by and watches. Ziebell is the best comparison in our team as an equally slow footed contested player who at least lunges and tries to nullify opposing threats if he doesn't get first dibs.

Is anyone able to make a highlights video of Cunners year? I know the club prob will for the BnF but if someone is able to focus on his hand balling and clearance work that would be awesome. Anyway if anyone could that would be unreal, cheers!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back