Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Interesting discussion and I'm eager to see if there really is any noticeable improvement in his running capacity.

Cunners works as hard as anyone at the club and always has. Over the years, he's worked extremely hard on his running one on one with Jona, our conditioning guy, so much that they've become good friends. You can hear Cunners single him out in his B & F speech.

I think whatever weaknesses he has in this area are clearly unlucky physical limitations and not due to a lack of effort, but we'll see...

I agree, sheesh who wouldn't want Cunners to go to another level...... ponder that s**t:) Maybe the club as a whole didn't work hard enough. Time as they say will reveal all. And heck it's getting close.

It has in part to do with the then wellness program, I wasn't really interested or listened much cause , well I was too angry and frustrated. Of course since then the universe has taught me a ******* great lesson.

Based upon what should be water of the Ducks#18 back :) I think well improve markedly this season and wow that will put a further pep in my step

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
I’m with you, I don’t mind it.
adding to the conversation I think there are better mids about but I bet he’d be first picked in the schoolyard.
I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it, but while there are plenty of examples to castigate Kane Cornes for, I don't think this is one of them. It's all opinion-based anyway, and in this case, he presents an 'argument' that is cogent, like it or not.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
Comparisons to Tom Mitchell, (poor man's) Sam Mitchell and Matt Priddis doesn't scream "reasoned" to me.
He was attempting to say that he doesn't have the necessary 'hurt factor' or isn't a game changer. Not entirely unreasonable and Tom Mitchell and Matthew Priddis aren't completely unreasonable comparisons in that regard. The Matthew Priddis comparison, in particular, is probably the best example of what he's attempting to highlight I think, although I think Cunnington assumes more responsibility than Priddis did.

The Sam Mitchell comment was a back-handed compliment in terms of his deft work in the middle, but also highlighting he could be better by foot.

If Cunners kicks more goals, watch his stocks rise. Like Wells before him, externals notice goalkickers who always get more airtime.

Back