Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Wow, you’re back! Thought you’d been masquerading as your alter ego Rad Roo!,

I'm an actual North supporter.

That impostor couldn't possibly be one, and it speaks volumes about the standards here in recent years.

He'd be gone in 3 seconds if I get hold of the switch.

Smacked full of anti-inflammatories perhaps?

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cortisone for sure. It bloats big time. Fortunately the appearance of excess burns off rapidly as well once the cortisone stops and the ability to train fully returns.

Mothball him.

..........and don't just fix his back, he looked FAT in the return debacle.

Put down the knife & fork Cunners. Just two pieces of Schnapper mate. ( :tropicalfish: :tropicalfish: = :thumbsu:), ( :tropicalfish: :tropicalfish: :tropicalfish: ...... = :mad::thumbsdown:)
Prednisolone bloat. As soon as you stop taking, you are thin again.

Last edited:

BTRAIN2

Team Captain
Aug 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My mate reckons it is Sciatica. He had lost muscle strength in his quads. 'The first muscles to turn to jelly were his quad muscles'.

Brady mentioned that they are trying to build Ben's quad muscles back up as he has lost strength in his legs.

Usually self-diagnosable

Pain originates in the spine and radiates down the back of the leg. Sciatica typically affects only one side of the body.

People may experience:

Pain areas: in the back, buttocks, hip, or lower extremities

Pain types: can be mild, severe, radiating, or sharp

Pain circumstances: can occur due to injury or while sitting

Muscular: difficulty walking or muscle weakness

Sensory: leg numbness or pins and needles

Also common: burning sensation, foot numbness, or weakness
The reason I thought it because I’ve suffered from it myself. Took me a few months to get back to running and lost significant weight in my left leg (was playing footy at the time). Couldn’t walk for more than two minutes at a time for six weeks.
It is the disc in your back rubbing on the Sciatic Nerve which causes pain down the leg.
Hope Cunners isn’t that bad

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We really don’t know anything at this stage other than it’s a nerve impingement. Could recover tomorrow or could become chronic and last forever. I think the numbers your throwing around about sciatica GR are simply general stats regarding people who show symptoms. They are real ballpark figures that don’t take into consideration the specifics of his injury or the type of work/lifestyle he needs to return to.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My mate reckons it is Sciatica. He had lost muscle strength in his quads. 'The first muscles to turn to jelly were his quad muscles'.

Brady mentioned that they are trying to build Ben's quad muscles back up as he has lost strength in his legs.

Usually self-diagnosable

Pain originates in the spine and radiates down the back of the leg. Sciatica typically affects only one side of the body.

People may experience:

Pain areas: in the back, buttocks, hip, or lower extremities

Pain types: can be mild, severe, radiating, or sharp

Pain circumstances: can occur due to injury or while sitting

Muscular: difficulty walking or muscle weakness

Sensory: leg numbness or pins and needles

Also common: burning sensation, foot numbness, or weakness
i have had a few small bouts of it, its not good at all, once i was confined to a bean bag for a couple of days, terified every time i felt a sneeze come on. but mostly it just comes across as a dull pain/ache down the through the leg muscles.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
LOL, this will be well received around here.

I'm not trying to be negative, but if this is something debilitating long term (e.g. Michael Clarke's back), then I can't see any other direction than to prepare for Jy (and LDU) to lead the midfield in a few year's time.

If BC gets back to his best then I reckon we may go for a flag tilt while we have a midfield that contains all three of Higgins, Jy and Cunnington.

It's that third player deserving of a tag which puts a midfield in the right class for contention, IMO.

Ben Cunnington
Club: North Melbourne

SALARY: $725,000-$775,000

COVID SALARY: $522,000-$558,000

So often classed as North Melbourne's barometer, the hard inside-mid turned his back on free agency in the middle of last season by locking in until the end of 2022. That two-year extension, signed last July, means he will be 31 in the final year of his current deal.

Ben Cunnington

So often classed as North Melbourne's barometer, the hard inside-mid turned his back on free agency in the middle of last season by locking in until the end of 2022. That two-year extension, signed last July, means he will be 31 in the final year of his current deal.

So players taking a 28% pay cut?

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ben Cunnington

Gee, how's he supposed to live off that?

So players taking a 28% pay cut?
Yep.

HOW IT WORKS
SALARY FIGURE

* Player’s contracted salary for 2020 to the best of our information. A number of players are in the same wage band. Salaries can alter depending on bonuses.

COVID SALARY

* Each AFL player is losing around 28 per cent of his 2020 contract salary because of COVID-19.

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ben Cunnington

Time to rest him for rest of this season with the heat of Qld will be back stronger next year

Could Cunnington miss the rest of 2020?

"100% it's a possibility. It's a possibility he might be back in a couple of weeks as well ... (but) the longer it goes, then the more preparation time he'll need to get back to playing, so the next week or two are big for Ben."

Back