Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually have no issue for the “potential for injury” to be a thing, but to apply it to this case and not the hundred other ones from the weekend is farcical.

It should be reserved for guys bumping opponents with their head over the footy but just happen to get their shoulder. Or for punches above the shoulder.

Anyway, at least the correct outcome occurred.

What Did Gerard Depardieu have to say after Cunners can now play against his beloved cats

He thinks everyone is correct.

Christian was right to give it a week
North was right to challenge it
The tribunal was right to overturn it.

Everything is Awesome!

Now don't be a dickhead.

I said that assuming 2 down to 1. Which was wrong prior posts.

When just 1 I said appeal immediately.

Im not being a dickhead. I’m indulging because I was right.

Not only should he not be fined we should never have had to deal with it. But it’s true this is a warning to our number ten, they will be watching him with their biased eyes
Good that he is not suspended, but both Ziebell and Cunnington gave away goals from late bumps. Both were avoidable. I've already noted Ziebell has gotten close to being reported this season. Senior players need to be a bit smarter, and put the bump away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My beef is that bump was perfectly legal, but I do agree the day of the bump is just about done. Looking forward to the AFL's next phase of when tackling your opponent you cannot take them to the ground, should be good.

Good that he is not suspended, but both Ziebell and Cunnington gave away goals from late bumps. Both were avoidable. I've already noted Ziebell has gotten close to being reported this season. Senior players need to be a bit smarter, and put the bump away.
It's a fine line because these senior players also need to be a physical presence on the field. Like you say, they've just got to be smart about it. IMO still nothing wrong with a good bump as long as you can do it right.

The AFL want the bump gone imo, it is or was a great part of our game . Just another thing I can tell the Grand kids, when tackling becomes defunct and touching your opponent means they have to dispose of the ball immediately .

Yeah. Good for north but bad for cunnington and the game.

The AFL isn't stupid. This is a warning shot to players. Go for the bump and you can miss weeks or cop a fine...even for slight contact.

It isn't a win for football. It being thrown out would be. This is a another nail in the coffin. What is changed now is implemented next year or the year after.
Yep... based on their grading, we are bound to see 15+ cases at the tribunal every week now? Potential to cause injury? Im still gobsmacked at that argument.

You know stats, and you are great with that.

Quote one post where I said Cunners deserves to go.

I said it was joke from the start I'm just surprised overturned in our favour.

ps; And don't talk on behalf of others. It's insulting to them.
No, you did not say that Chop. No one is saying you did. What you did do though, is you put a line through him based on what you believe was enough for the AFL to get him. And in that case, you were wrong.

No, you did not say that Chop. No one is saying you did. What you did do though, is you put a line through him based on what you believe was enough for the AFL to get him. And in that case, you were wrong.

Yes that is 100% correct outside what I believe in.

Shows what a joke Michael Christian is.

Should be fired on the spot.

His assessments are ridiciculous and wastes time and money.

Agree, that role should be about interpreting the rules. It would make sense for someone with a legal background and football knowledge to be in that role.

Yes that is 100% correct outside what I believe in.
When you have ex AFL players on the panel and the result is not malicious it goes in our favour. This where I said earlier that the AFL and Tribunal are bot on the same page. Which is a blessing. If the AFL change that panel to what suits their agenda, to get what they want. Then its FUBAR

It's a fine line because these senior players also need to be a physical presence on the field. Like you say, they've just got to be smart about it. IMO still nothing wrong with a good bump as long as you can do it right.
yeah agree, but my view is the bump should be for shepherding and trying to win a contested ball. Choosing to bump rather than tackle the ball carrier is always going to be a risk.

Well done Darwin.

You had more faith in the corrupt AFL system than I did.

I didn’t have faith in the system. I had faith that we were right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back